Snowblower Forum banner
81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
And the bench is full of parts again.
Started taking apart the track frames.

but I need to finish the speed controller and assemble the handlebars first.
Waiting for paint to dry.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Mounted the paddles and did some work with the handlebars.

in the 3rd iteration of the speed control. Going to clear coat it again and see if it lasts or if I tear is all down and start again...

did some work today on the track tensioner and the track stays.

Dead batteries (forgot to put one on the charger), so I shut it down for the day.
Need to finish the tracks so I can mount the height adjustment bar so I can do a final mount on the handlebars... once the speed control is installed...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
its coming along nicely

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
Very clever on speed control. will have to steal that idea some day.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Very clever on speed control. will have to steal that idea some day.
Thanks orangputeh, I did it all black the first time, meh, did it half red and half black the second time, meh, did it this way the third time and still meh, but it's better than nothing. Considering doing it all black and then putting a red stripe under the numbers but I really need to get this thing off the workbench. Either way, found the letters [got red and white as I was unsure, the only other color available was black] put them on and then clear coated everything.
Will hopefully finish the clean up of the track height adjuster and associated so I can get them painted. I have a lot of assembly to do once I get the height adjuster completed [I need the spring tab stays done so I can finish installing the handlebars...]

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Decided I was fine with the controller the way it is (3rd iteration) and mounted it. Also adjusted the tension on the plate release and wheel drive (the one with the rubber on it) so it hits all four gears nicely.

sorry the pic is bad, I had to take it from
underneath.

did some more work on the track tension bar and lifter pedal, hopefully get a prime coat on some parts tomorrow. The next project is already in the garage, need to wind this one up but still quite a bit to go.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
Dave, one of my favorite projects since I used to work for Buster Brown ( UPS ) . I like this combo so much ( brown and black ) . gonna do it with a Honda HS80 with a black tank , black stock wheels, gonna black the recoil and coil covers and the bucket and chute will be brown.
20210526_135455_copy_816x612_1.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Dave, one of my favorite projects since I used to work for Buster Brown ( UPS ) . I like this combo so much ( brown and black ) . gonna do it with a Honda HS80 with a black tank , black stock wheels, gonna black the recoil and coil covers and the bucket and chute will be brown. View attachment 178977
Nice work, that’s a sharp looking machine.
Been pretty down lately as a whole, but I think the 50 is going to disappear in a few years. I’m almost finished with my rework (80% I would say) and to be honest, the HS50 now is more valuable for parts than as a whole. When I look up the cost for parts and price the machine out as each individual piece it is worth more broken down and parted out than as a whole machine. Which, as I near the end of this project, really disheartens me. An HS50 in pristine shape will fetch $800 or so, parted out you are looking at $2-$3K. I do not know why this bothers me so much but it does. As parts become more ridiculously expensive I think more of them will end up in a landfill somewhere until there are only a handful left.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
On a lighter note I did some painting (I hate painting) today. Some bolts I ordered months ago finally arrived as well.

and the new bolts (one side)

Hopefully do the topcoat on the primed parts tomorrow and start work on the track frames.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
Nice work, that’s a sharp looking machine.
Been pretty down lately as a whole, but I think the 50 is going to disappear in a few years. I’m almost finished with my rework (80% I would say) and to be honest, the HS50 now is more valuable for parts than as a whole. When I look up the cost for parts and price the machine out as each individual piece it is worth more broken down and parted out than as a whole machine. Which, as I near the end of this project, really disheartens me. An HS50 in pristine shape will fetch $800 or so, parted out you are looking at $2-$3K. I do not know why this bothers me so much but it does. As parts become more ridiculously expensive I think more of them will end up in a landfill somewhere until there are only a handful left.
I have given away enough 50's for free to pay for a nice harley if I could part them out for that much. yes. i have seen the prices on ebay for parts. maybe I should keep the 4-5 50's I have now to fund my 2nd retirement in 30 years.......I'll be 65 next month.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I have given away enough 50's for free to pay for a nice harley if I could part them out for that much. yes. i have seen the prices on ebay for parts. maybe I should keep the 4-5 50's I have now to fund my 2nd retirement in 30 years.......I'll be 65 next month.
Orangputeh my friend, you may want to rethink giving those 50s away so easily. Here's the breakdown I came up with and the numbers on used parts are only going to go up. My pricing is based on what I found over various searches [and actual purchases]. Of course all the numbers are assumed to a degree as the value is really dependent on the condition of the part, shipping, and demand. This list is also nowhere near complete [I don't have the key/lockout for the control panel listed, or the fuel shutoff, etc.] I also spent a few bucks on screws and other items that aren't listed. I should also state that selling these parts is probably going to be "the long game" as I am sure it takes some time to find buyers for all of them. It may behoove you to breakdown some of those machines into parts and start bagging and tagging.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I also did not list the tracks, used ones are pretty expensive, if you could find some you would actually want to purchase you would be looking for a unicorn and probably cost you $150 each. Or you could refit the crawler sprocket with a modern one [yes some machining would be necessary] and then install "new" tracks, but that process would run you about $300 - $450 depending on the parts you want to use. I did some digging and pricing as I was thinking about retrofitting some modern tracks on to the 50, which I found to be a doable process, but far too costly to be worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
I also did not list the tracks, used ones are pretty expensive, if you could find some you would actually want to purchase you would be looking for a unicorn and probably cost you $150 each. Or you could refit the crawler sprocket with a modern one [yes some machining would be necessary] and then install "new" tracks, but that process would run you about $300 - $450 depending on the parts you want to use. I did some digging and pricing as I was thinking about retrofitting some modern tracks on to the 50, which I found to be a doable process, but far too costly to be worth the effort.
Your list is pretty accurate as I have seen these prices on ebay. I have messaged a couple seller on ebay curious if they ever do sell these parts and they all replied once in awhile. some have permanent listings.
I have sold a couple things locally and online. The locals get a much beet deal. Sold an auger gearbox assembly for $200 and the buy was very happy with purchase. sold cables for $25. Could not bring myself to sell for more. have sold 5-6 tracks for $80 each and buyers were happy. most of them knew the online price.

Recently have seen the Chinese selling tracks that will fit the HS50-55-70-80 at a good price. They may start manufacturing NLA Honda parts if there is a demand for it. Probably already told you a guy flew in for one of my Honda 50's . He rented a vehicle at the airport and drove back to Idaho. Had another from Montana so there is slowly starting to have a collectors market.

So I have a $3000 machine sitting in my front yard as a lawn ornament?????? I'll have to take an inventory out back. Just got another one for free yesterday. It looks and runs fine. The owner was moving and had 8 other Honda, Craftsmans and a Cub Cadet and his wife was putting her foot down. I think that makes 6-7 50's now. 3-4 work or could be restored and 3-4 are parts machines.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Your list is pretty accurate as I have seen these prices on ebay. I have messaged a couple seller on ebay curious if they ever do sell these parts and they all replied once in awhile. some have permanent listings.
I have sold a couple things locally and online. The locals get a much beet deal. Sold an auger gearbox assembly for $200 and the buy was very happy with purchase. sold cables for $25. Could not bring myself to sell for more. have sold 5-6 tracks for $80 each and buyers were happy. most of them knew the online price.

Recently have seen the Chinese selling tracks that will fit the HS50-55-70-80 at a good price. They may start manufacturing NLA Honda parts if there is a demand for it. Probably already told you a guy flew in for one of my Honda 50's . He rented a vehicle at the airport and drove back to Idaho. Had another from Montana so there is slowly starting to have a collectors market.

So I have a $3000 machine sitting in my front yard as a lawn ornament?????? I'll have to take an inventory out back. Just got another one for free yesterday. It looks and runs fine. The owner was moving and had 8 other Honda, Craftsmans and a Cub Cadet and his wife was putting her foot down. I think that makes 6-7 50's now. 3-4 work or could be restored and 3-4 are parts machines.
Nice. Yes, you have bragging rites for the most expensive lawn ornament in your neighborhood.
Can you shoot me the link to the Chinese replacement tracks, I haven't seen them. Or maybe you have a good set you're interested in parting with?

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
Nice. Yes, you have bragging rites for the most expensive lawn ornament in your neighborhood.
Can you shoot me the link to the Chinese replacement tracks, I haven't seen them. Or maybe you have a good set you're interested in parting with?
This was last year. I seacrched ebay for crawler tracks Honda HS50 snowblower. Same size for 55-70 and 80.
I would triple check measurements @tabora had them here somewhere.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
This was last year. I seacrched ebay for crawler tracks Honda HS50 snowblower. Same size for 55-70 and 80.
I would triple check measurements @tabora had them here somewhere.
Fortunately it's something I don't have to deal with for a while [I hope].
Did some painting last night, more this weekend possibly.
Took a look at some other rebuilds on the site, man do people do nice work on their machines, I look at some of the work I've done and cringe in comparison.

81 - 100 of 164 Posts