Snowblower Forum banner
101 - 120 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Back at it. I renovated our main bathroom the last few weeks so I haven’t been doing much with the 50.
In any case, dig out the workshop (after said renovation) and finally finished the track plates, height adjuster pedal, and the roller spacers. Did some work in the guide/drive wheels which were in surprisingly good shape.

I need to clean up the tracks next so I can mount them in a couple days. Next step is the auger and auger housing. Did I say I was going to complete this in a “couple months” when I first started?

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
Agreed. Two different approaches on the same machine, Toon has a far superior workshop so my expectations for his project are higher than my own.
You are doing excellent work. A HS50 rebuild is not in my future. I have to stick to hydro-static models. But I am restoring 3 HS80's right now because that is a popular size around here. 2 will be brown and one will be black. Not a complete restore like you guys are doing. Fortunately the engines and chassis's / transmissions are in pretty good shape. It's nice to have a couple parts machines .

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Completed and reassembled the track guides. Have to clean up a couple washers and I’ll finally be able to put together the whole track assembly.

need to scrub and treat the tracks prior to assembly as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Mounted the track assemblies and tracks.

I’ve already torn apart the auger housing and assemblies. Next nice day I’ll grind/sand. Also have to fire up the motor and change the oil prior to remounting.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
looks like a couple of those fans on impeller are slightly bent. how will you straighten? I have used heat in past but someone here said that compromises the metal.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
@ Dave,

You are doing some nice work ...

Just a suggestion, but you may want to get yourself some of those small magnetic dishes with post-it-notes, or use the bag n' tag system with zip lock baggies for all those nuts and bolts.

Any major tear downs , those methods keep all the items for a specific part area all together ... saves a lot of headaches, especially when they get shuffled around or knocked on the floor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
@ Dave,

You are doing some nice work ...

Just a suggestion, but you may want to get yourself some of those small magnetic dishes with post-it-notes, or use the bag n' tag system with zip lock baggies for all those nuts and bolts.

Any major tear downs , those methods keep all the items for a specific part area all together ... saves a lot of headaches, especially when they get shuffled around or knocked on the floor.
I generally keep the bolts in place in the mounting on parts once disassembled or bag and tag. I am sure it doesn’t appear that way from the pix but the bolts scattered around the bench are replaced bolts that I use for painting parts (so I don’t have to tape off mounting holes, just put one of the old bolts in and paint). I also arrange the work on the bench “by system” so to speak so parts are kept together. And take lots of pictures…

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
looks like a couple of those fans on impeller are slightly bent. how will you straighten? I have used heat in past but someone here said that compromises the metal.
Not really sure, haven’t gotten that far yet. Have to get them cleaned up first, then maybe a little heat and a little “persuasion.”

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
I generally keep the bolts in place in the mounting on parts once disassembled or bag and tag. I am sure it doesn’t appear that way from the pix but the bolts scattered around the bench are replaced bolts that I use for painting parts (so I don’t have to tape off mounting holes, just put one of the old bolts in and paint). I also arrange the work on the bench “by system” so to speak so parts are kept together. And take lots of pictures…

sometimes I find a bolt on the garage floor and start worrying where it came from. Now, I know where every nut and bolt comes from having worked on so many machines. Usually it fell off because I did not tighten it. I can't be distracted by anything. Someone comes over and I politely ask them to wait until I am finished installing the part.

before i had a camera i used to draw diagrams. have a notebook with all the diagrams in it from years of doing this. it's fun to look at from time to time and laugh at myself because i didnt know anything at the time.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
get that 50 done............waiting with a beer in hand.

101 - 120 of 164 Posts