Snowblower Forum banner
121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
I know, right? Have had a number of "honey do" items to complete the last few weeks. Back on the 50 though, shouldn't be long now.
every time i come in from garage my wife says "can you do me a favor?"

I installed a fridge, stereo , tv , and commode in the garage.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I’ve been slacking in the 50 because I am really tired of brushing/sanding/painting.
So instead of working on the auger flights I reinstalled the engine and played around with the carb. Runs really nice.

I only took one pic because I am an idiot.
It’s raining so I was dodging raindrops while I was working. I mostly installed the engine because I was installing the engine on gasp another project (Ariens ST11528LE) that is much less labor intensive than the 50. I consider the Honda 50 an Advanced rebuild and the Ariens an easy one.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
looking real good.before i install the bucket i test the drive real thoroughly . ( just in case )

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
looking real good.before i install the bucket i test the drive real thoroughly . ( just in case )
I agree, I was in a hurry so I had to prioritize my time. I’ll definitely test the drive (and adjust the cables) prior to installing the auger bucket, I’ve made that mistake before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
get that 50 done............waiting with a beer in hand.
Most of my life the jobs around the house have required a few beers, and a good selection of music. I have made a few mistakes, but I have got a trunk full of great memories. Enjoy the day and then ogle the result. Life is a journey. Live the journey.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
Most of my life the jobs around the house have required a few beers, and a good selection of music. I have made a few mistakes, but I have got a trunk full of great memories. Enjoy the day and then ogle the result. Life is a journey. Live the journey.
yup. have a hard working in the garage without music. today was a blues day since I am reading Keith Richard's book "Life"
Listening to real old stuff.

some of my early restorations make me cringe. If the people who bought them ever bring them to me to service it will be done free of charge.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
yup. have a hard working in the garage without music. today was a blues day since I am reading Keith Richard's book "Life"
Listening to real old stuff.

some of my early restorations make me cringe. If the people who bought them ever bring them to me to service it will be done free of charge.
I agree with the beers, I generally don't have music on as it tends to distract me from the work. I have a 1952 Seeburg M100C jukebox in the workshop [you may have seen it in some of my pix]. I've had it since I was a kid and boxes of 45s so every once in a while I fire it up and listen to that, but again, get distracted easily.
There's a learning curve with everything, the older blowers worked, no? So, success, maybe they didn't look as pretty as what you work on now, or are as well thought out, but function is, after all, the name of the game with a snowblower.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Just can’t bring myself to do more in the auger flights (not sure why), so I started working on the auger housing. I also messed around with the engine, getting the throttle set up nice, runs like a champ.

still a bit more to go, then I’ll do the side panels, or maybe the auger flights, or maybe rebuild the auger case…

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
You've mentioned you don't like the body/paint work and i understand. I didnt like it at first. But now it's one of my favorite things to do even though it's time consuming. I have a Honda HS55 in excellent condition. Almost showroom condition that is just sitting because it needs a different size wheel on the crank. It's been on the back burner for months. Now I can't find the part.

Put it somewhere.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
You've mentioned you don't like the body/paint work and i understand. I didnt like it at first. But now it's one of my favorite things to do even though it's time consuming. I have a Honda HS55 in excellent condition. Almost showroom condition that is just sitting because it needs a different size wheel on the crank. It's been on the back burner for months. Now I can't find the part.

Put it somewhere.
To be honest, I like the paint work only because it means the next step is assembly and completion. I don’t have the patience for doing the paint properly. I look at it as “rust prevention.”
regarding the parts, yes, sucks that things become unavailable. As I have been rebuilding this 50 I have doubled up on parts I thought would wear out (bearings mostly) and have enough backups that it should go another 40 years or more.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Now that the “Honey Do” list has been shortened I have more time to spend drinking beer in the workshop, I mean working the 50.
Did some more work on the auger.
I know there are better ways to remove rust and paint but I’m ok with wire brushing the hell out of it. In the end the primer and paint cover just about everything.

plugging along, if it wasn’t so hot and humid I would be more motivated to work on it.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
You do so many, It would probably make sense for you to build an oversize sand blasting booth to hold a bucket, thus reclaiming some of the media for reuse and no mess.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
You do so many, It would probably make sense for you to build an oversize sand blasting booth to hold a bucket, thus reclaiming some of the media for reuse and no mess.
Ha. he has been working on this same machine for the last year or more. Its gonna be a masterpiece when done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Lol, it’s the same one I’ve been working on for a while now. But I have considered setting up a blasting booth.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Ha. he has been working on this same machine for the last year or more. Its gonna be a masterpiece when done.
“It’s gonna be a masterpiece.” Thanks, high praise from you.
Was thinking about doing the bucket in a different color but can’t convince myself to do it. Once I have it all done and primed we’ll see where we go.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
“It’s gonna be a masterpiece.” Thanks, high praise from you.
Was thinking about doing the bucket in a different color but can’t convince myself to do it. Once I have it all done and primed we’ll see where we go.
Lol, it’s the same one I’ve been working on for a while now. But I have considered setting up a blasting booth.
ya, i should set up a blasting booth and do my own powder coating. I have NO room.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 164 Posts