Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought a used Honda HS520. It is my first snowblower. it started with one pull, but there’s one thing I am worry about. When the engine starts, the snow thrower operate without pulling the clutch lever, is it normal?

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's a great machine. Remove the black side panel to access the drive belt for the idler pulley. Likely the spring or another part needs replacing or fixing. If it isn't obvious post a pic. I have the shop manual and can send you a pic of what it should look like.
Should be easy fix.
- Pete

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete, let me try to look it up, is my first snowblower, hopefully I can find the location of it

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Thanks Pete, let me try to look it up, is my first snowblower, hopefully I can find the location of it
Taking that side panel is fairly easy. then take a couple pictures. if you dont see anything obviously wrong , I'm sure someone here will. I agree with the previous poster. It may be a fairly easy fix. ( famous last words )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there’s one screw I couldn’t turn... all rusted... this is the best picture I got... does it help?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Looks like the brake arm is engaged. Did you have auger clutch level engaged when you took the pic? The brake arm s/b engaged only when you have the clutch lever held down.

See if it is seized.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gimme a few min. I'm going to pull my machine out and look at it. The belt s/b slack until the clutch level is engaged. Then it pushes the tensioner pulley against the belt, making the auger spin. It shouldn't be stuck in that position.

·
Registered
481 Posts
There are two springs—one on the cable leading into the chassis and another hooked onto the tensioner pulley kind of behind the chassis shroud. That spring may be broken or come off. Stand by and I will take a quick video and post a link.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yes, you are right, it is missing the second spring! Any idea where that spring suppose to connect to?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Still searching manual. Is the spring hanging under it? Did you check?

Here how it should operate....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope... the second spring is missing... that’s why when I release the lever it not going back to the top position..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Maybe, but from the shop manual pic that number looks to apply to the clutch cable spring and in the pic they look different sizes? Do you see that of is it just my old eyes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, just found it also, the handlebar spring is 22531-V10-000
Just one more question, I find this tube hanging without connecting to anywhere, is it normal?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts