Snowblower Forum banner

Honda HS520 question

9K views 48 replies 4 participants last post by  orangputeh 
#1 ·
Hi all, just bought a used Honda HS520. It is my first snowblower. it started with one pull, but there’s one thing I am worry about. When the engine starts, the snow thrower operate without pulling the clutch lever, is it normal?

#2 ·
That's a great machine. Remove the black side panel to access the drive belt for the idler pulley. Likely the spring or another part needs replacing or fixing. If it isn't obvious post a pic. I have the shop manual and can send you a pic of what it should look like.
Should be easy fix.
- Pete

#4 ·
Taking that side panel is fairly easy. then take a couple pictures. if you dont see anything obviously wrong , I'm sure someone here will. I agree with the previous poster. It may be a fairly easy fix. ( famous last words )

#8 ·
Gimme a few min. I'm going to pull my machine out and look at it. The belt s/b slack until the clutch level is engaged. Then it pushes the tensioner pulley against the belt, making the auger spin. It shouldn't be stuck in that position.

#10 ·
There are two springs—one on the cable leading into the chassis and another hooked onto the tensioner pulley kind of behind the chassis shroud. That spring may be broken or come off. Stand by and I will take a quick video and post a link.

#24 ·
is it possible for the spring to come off and fall out of the machine or it is a closed unit? wondering if spring is still in there somewhere. the end probably broke though unless it was very loose. I have a 520 also but have never opened up side yet.

oh , isee it is the outside spring that is missing. great outcome I believe if all you have to do is replace that spring.

#29 ·
google these parts #
22437-v10-000 $1.38 usd from boats.net tensioner spring
22531-v10-000 $1.82 usd from boats.net spring belt tensioner

dont see any reason why the Honda dealer wouldnt have these or order for you. if not , then google parts # and results will show sources and prices.

you can also call Honda Canada and ask them 1-888-946-6329

I suggest replacing both since one failed and the other probably will soon.

Reactions: CalgaryPT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.