Snowblower Forum banner

Honda HS55 Ratchet Lever Broke

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  merlinX13 
#1 ·
I have a wheeled HS55 snowblower that broke a auger belt. I fixed that with no problem and replaced the drive belt as well since I had it all apart anyway. The auger lever got locked down during all this ( and at the time I didn't know this was a 'normal' thing ) . I forced it up and the auger worked just fine. The drive clutch would not engage though. I adjusted the cable all the way to the end and that did nothing and even replaced the cable and that still didn't help out. I opened up the ratchet cover on under the auger lever and saw the broken ratchet lever. I was able to find a replacement part ( in a batch of parts replace everything there ) and I get how it 'should' all fit and work in there, but I can't figure out how it goes all back together so the drive lever has tension again and to release the auger lever when locked.

Any help ( pictures or whatever ) and insight for this would be amazing.

Thank you in advance.

... add are a few pictures of the broken ratchet and the replacement.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Vehicle door
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Gas
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bicycle chain
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle chain Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
This ratchet lever has nothing to do with cable or tension. All it does is lock your auger handle down when you are driving machine and want to adjust chute when the machine is moving.

if you have no tension on either handle the problem is down below in the tensioner. Remove belt cover and inspect the cable ends down there and where the tensioner springs connect to eyelets of the cable.

A common problem is the spring fell off or the spring end broke.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply ... The clutch lever works just fine, but the drive lever has very little tension and does not open up again when let go. The the drive pulley does move when the drive lever is pressed, but very ... very little movement. The spring at the end of the cable is connected fine.

As far as the ratchet lever ... I can see that is locks in place, but for the life of me I can't get how it releases when the drive lever is let go. I've had this snowblower only 3+ years now and I never knew it had that functionality so I don't know if it worked before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.