Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Snowblower Friends,

I need to source parts to fix my family's HS621. I need a new pin for the carb (lost after spraying with carb cleaner) as well as a new main jet (scratched up by me trying to remove it without a proper screwdriver).

On the parts diagram for my SZAN-1112645 model, I need part #3 (16013-ZE0-005) for the pin and part #28 for "Jet: Main". However there are three model numbers:
  • 99101-ZH8-0650
  • 99101-ZH8-0680
  • 99101-ZH8-0700
I am trying to figure out which one to purchase. I am browsing on a certain boats website, is that the best source for Canadian (Toronto)?
Seems more complete than eBay search on first impression.

Can someone confirm the part numbers for that SZAN number please?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
part #28 for "Jet: Main". However there are three model numbers
Read the number off your old jet. Those will be the middle two digits in the last segment of the jet part number.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
I think you have to buy the float set to get the pin. I would ask the dealer or small engine shop for a spare. They would probably give it
to you cheap or free. Tabora answered your other question.

Many parts are referenced by machine serial number.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read the number off your old jet. Those will be the middle two digits in the last segment of the jet part number.
Darn that means I need to find a screwdriver to get the original jet out.... but I don't have a grinder. Is there one on the market that fits the jet diameter?

If you have to grind down a screwdriver to maintain the carb, why haven't more people encountered this problem? Do most 'regular screwdrivers' work?
Does my family just not have the right tools that everyone else has?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Did you actually damage the jet proper, or just the slot? The way jet orifices are recessed, it would seem unlikely that a screwdriver could easily damage the actual jet . . .

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
Darn that means I need to find a screwdriver to get the original jet out.... but I don't have a grinder. Is there one on the market that fits the jet diameter?

If you have to grind down a screwdriver to maintain the carb, why haven't more people encountered this problem? Do most 'regular screwdrivers' work?
Does my family just not have the right tools that everyone else has?
man, you need to take to shop .

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think you'll have to grind down the sides of the screwdriver so it will fit up in there . You must know someone with a grinder of some type ?
Make sure the driver will fit that slot good , sometimes they can be a little stubborn.

WHOOPS , this was in another thread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do any of you think a 1/4 inch cabinet screwdriver would do the trick? its 6.35mm and another user said the jet is 0.7mm wide.... something like this?
Or would it be better to get a guy from craiglist to change the jet once I get the part from a dealership?

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Do any of you think a 1/4 inch cabinet screwdriver would do the trick? its 6.35mm and another user said the jet is 0.7mm wide.... something like this?
The emulsion tube rings are 6mm in diameter, so that's what I'd shoot for. 3/16" is 4.7625mm (a little narrow) and 1/4" is 6.35mm (a little too wide). The jet threads are 7mm OD, not 0.7mm, but you need to fit inside those threads, just like the emulsion tube. Here's a 6mm driver:

Reactions: HondaPowerBro

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
I think you'll have to grind down the sides of the screwdriver so it will fit up in there . You must know someone with a grinder of some type ?
Make sure the driver will fit that slot good , sometimes they can be a little stubborn.
Or would it be better to get a guy from craiglist to change the jet once I get the part from a dealership?

Thanks again
people are trying to help you here . I already mentioned that the screwdriver needs to fit the slot almost perfectly. or else you will damage the slot and NEVER get it out. How do I know? cause I have made every mistake there is ( almost ) but very rarely twice.

You should soak the main jet with some penetrating oil overnight once you find the right size driver. If you get the main jet out , see if you can also get the emulsion tube out. If lucky it will just fall out. Sometimes you need to push the top of tube down from carb throat. You will see about 4mm sticking out in the middle of throat. This tube has many small holes that need to be cleaned if clogged. A very small wire may do the trick. I use a carb cleaner tool that has different size wires. Or use compressed air or carb cleaner spray. I used to use compressed air in a can that people use to clean keyboards that I got from Costco.

Like @tabora said the # jet is on the main jet. After you clean the rest of carb with carb cleaner or compressed air thru every hole then put it back together .

This is why I suggested buying a new carb or taking it to a shop. Parts for these carbs are expensive. A new carb is just a little bit more. There are plenty of You-Tube videos on removing/replacing a Honda carb on a snowblower. It's not too difficult but can be daunting to a first timer.

But I have confidence you can do it. The time involved in cleaning, replacing parts, having the proper tools is more frustrating than just replacing the carb. The benefit here is a new OEM Honda carb works well right out of the box. Plus you can save the old carb if you ever need the parts.

good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks OrangPuteh and Tabora, I see you guys on pretty much every post on Honda machines.

The current plan is to order a 6mm cabinet screwdriver (I got this one) and try to get the original jet out to see the number on the side.
Afterwards, I'll contact my local Honda dealer (Thanks Honda1132) in Canada and order the float set and whichever jet is inside the machine right now.
Then I'll see if I can clean the carb by taking out the emulsion tube that was sitting on top of the jet and soaking it in carb cleaner (correct me if I'm wrong here)
Then install it back in the same direction, followed by the new main jet part then repin the float cap, and also make sure the carb cover cup is seated in the right place.
If I run into trouble, I got a quote for $60 CAD for a repairman to do a home visit.

Wish Me Luck lol I'll update when I fail and break the emulsion tube or something....

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you are looking for a particular screwdriver you should be aware of how they list them also. That screwdriver has a .6mm blade thickness and is 3.5mm wide --etc.
You need a screwdriver that has a 1mm blade thickness X 6mm wide X whatever length you choose. Unfortunately most mechanics ordinary screwdrivers have a blade with tapered thickness and width and would have to modified to fit correctly. (most commonly done by hand on a bench grinder)
But, you can find what's known as "gunsmiths screwdrivers" with a blade tip that is ground with sides parallel and the tip width the same size as the shaft with no side taper. The straight sides on the tip make it less apt to want to slip out of the screw slot. These may be called by other names on line or other places, so just watch for correct dimensions and shape.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll bet we all have more slot screwdrivers than we'll ever need, right? (I cant be the only one). My screwdriver drawer is full of them, BUT there'll always be certain ones that are my go-to, regardless if it's a slot, phillips, robertson or torx.
Anyway, I took a couple of pics of what I call my two go-to pilot jet screwdrivers for you or anyone else not understanding what has been mentioned. If you notice, it's generally the sides of the driver that you grind/slim down, enough so that the screwdriver will fit down into the tube to reach the jet. The smaller one pictured I've been using specifically for pilot jets and it's old, gotta be near 30 years now. As you can see, it's very worn but still capable.
The other is not that old, and a tad wider for certain carbs but is also a fine main jet driver.
If you have a bench grinder it will only take you a minute or two to make it fit what you need it to.

Hope this helps

Wood Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire Bumper

Wood Road surface Asphalt Tool Bumper

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll bet we all have more slot screwdrivers than we'll ever need, right? (I cant be the only one). My screwdriver drawer is full of them, BUT there'll always be certain ones that are my go-to, regardless if it's a slot, phillips, robertson or torx.
Anyway, I took a couple of pics of what I call my two go-to pilot jet screwdrivers for you or anyone else not understanding what has been mentioned. If you notice, it's generally the sides of the driver that you grind/slim down, enough so that the screwdriver will fit down into the tube to reach the jet. The smaller one pictured I've been using specifically for pilot jets and it's old, gotta be near 30 years now. As you can see, it's very worn but still capable.
The other is not that old, and a tad wider for certain carbs but is also a fine main jet driver.
If you have a bench grinder it will only take you a minute or two to make it fit what you need it to.

Hope this helps

View attachment 181347
View attachment 181348
Yes, it seems like the consensus is to either get a cabinet / gunsmith screwdriver (but none are 7mm, most are 1/4in or 5/16in) or to dremel or bench grind a tapered slotted screwdriver to make it not slotted. Why is there no tool I can buy that is made for the jet? I've seen people suggest the Briggs & Stratton 19061/2 Jet Screwdrivers but even on that the Amazon reviews say that one guy had to grind it down for a Honda carb....

Does everyone here own a grinder? I'm 27 so don't have a lot of tools or experience using them.

Sorry but thanks everyone for their help and replies. Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does everyone here own a grinder? I'm 27 so don't have a lot of tools or experience using them.
No worries, everyone starts out at some point. Got a buddy or neighbour that wrenches on stuff?
It'd take longer, but even if you had a decent file you could make the driver you need.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FOR THE THIRD TIME, BUY THIS 6MM DRIVER!!!
Oh sorry Tabora, do you have experience with that one? I thought you just searched '6mm screwdriver' and picked the first result. I'll definitely buy it if its proven for this carb jet.
I did consider it but the picture looks a bit tapered. I actually took a piece of paper and measured 6mm and found that I had two hex bits that were 6mm and a slotted flathead that was 6mm but had that taper on it, and the picture for this one looks like it needs grinding too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thanks OrangPuteh and Tabora, I see you guys on pretty much every post on Honda machines.

The current plan is to order a 6mm cabinet screwdriver (I got this one) and try to get the original jet out to see the number on the side.
Afterwards, I'll contact my local Honda dealer (Thanks Honda1132) in Canada and order the float set and whichever jet is inside the machine right now.
Then I'll see if I can clean the carb by taking out the emulsion tube that was sitting on top of the jet and soaking it in carb cleaner (correct me if I'm wrong here)
Then install it back in the same direction, followed by the new main jet part then repin the float cap, and also make sure the carb cover cup is seated in the right place.
If I run into trouble, I got a quote for $60 CAD for a repairman to do a home visit.

Wish Me Luck lol I'll update when I fail and break the emulsion tube or something....
All you need is a file and a little time to make the perfect jet screwdriver.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts