Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No worries, everyone starts out at some point. Got a buddy or neighbour that wrenches on stuff?
It'd take longer, but even if you had a decent file you could make the driver you need.
hmm... the idea of a hand metal file is interesting.. can I choose any metal file or a specific grit / surface? Might go this route...

I stripped one side of the jet with a narrow screwdriver.... Hope the filed screwdriver will work...

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Orangputeh calm, calm. When he finds out the price of a good file, maybe two- one coarse toothed for quick metal removal and possibly one fine toothed for finish work and then spends maybe an hour or more filing (or working on a grinder if he finds one) to shape the screwdriver, he will most likely be thinking, "I shoulda just bought the right ----- screwdriver". Especially after he tries it and finds the ends will possibly twist and not remove the jet anyway.

·
Registered
612 Posts
hmm... the idea of a hand metal file is interesting.. can I choose any metal file or a specific grit / surface? Might go this route...

I stripped one side of the jet with a narrow screwdriver.... Hope the filed screwdriver will work...
Sidewalk concrete or a brick may work as a makeshift abrasive. Some screwdriver tips maybe harder to shape if its been heat hardened.

There's nothing much to it. Just shape it to make sure it fits and then screw it. Gently at first...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Got a new jet from Honda and made up a screw driver to excat size for the jet, took a bit of filing and the tool is only about 3" long, work first class when I change the jet on my HSS 928 last yr. easy to make one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update on the jet size: the bigger the number the 'richer' the air/fuel mix is.
I called my local Honda dealer and they told me the stock one was #70, and I only live in an area with 764ft of elevation, so that's the one I got.

RE: the screwdriver, I got a file and filed down my slotted screwdriver, but the handle was too long.
I'll try to find a shorter slotted screwdriver and file that one down as a carb screwdriver.

But, I found the carb pin that I lost, and somehow, the snowblower works now with the choke pressed down..... magically.
The original main jet is in there, albeit a bit stripped, but it seems to be functional.

Don't want to mess with it if it seems like it works... case closed for now?

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
Update on the jet size: the bigger the number the 'richer' the air/fuel mix is.
I called my local Honda dealer and they told me the stock one was #70, and I only live in an area with 764ft of elevation, so that's the one I got.

RE: the screwdriver, I got a file and filed down my slotted screwdriver, but the handle was too long.
I'll try to find a shorter slotted screwdriver and file that one down as a carb screwdriver.

But, I found the carb pin that I lost, and somehow, the snowblower works now with the choke pressed down..... magically.
The original main jet is in there, albeit a bit stripped, but it seems to be functional.

Don't want to mess with it if it seems like it works... case closed for now?
thank god.

what do you mean with the choke pressed down? the choke is closed? you don't want that.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
@orangputeh ya I accidentaly started it with the choke closed like twice, then I saw it was down and pulled it up for a normal start.
Did I damage something?
No sir. It will just run super rich. You probably noticed some black smoke coming out of muffler? and it runs a little rough until the choke is opened up all the way once the engine is warmed up.
Also the choke should be closed on a cold start ( not after engine warmed up or else you'll flood engine )

Once started on choke wait a dew seconds and slowly open choke. If the engine starts to stall close choke a little so it keeps running. Then slowly open choke until it runs good all the way open. How long this takes depends on how cold it is outside.

With experience it becomes easier.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts