Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just about to get started on replacing these belts on this snowblower and then discovered this forum. Was hoping to get some advice, tips or general cautions before I start to take it apart. Never worked on anything like this before so you can say I am a newbie for sure. Dont have a truck to get it to a Honda repair shop so I have no choice but to try it myself.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Take off the belt cover, and then there are 10 bolts (2 each top and bottom, and 3 on each side) that let you split the auger housing from the tractor. The auger belt has guides on the auger housing that must be loosened or removed to swap the belt. The drive belt can be swapped without having to split the machine. Use OEM belts because they're metric and using belts measured in OD inches is problematic.

You can look up the correct part numbers here with your full model and serial numbers: Honda Power Equipment - Parts Look Up - Official Site
Likely 22431-768-003 (SA-29) and 22432-V03-000 (SB-35)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take off the belt cover, and then there are 10 bolts (2 each top and bottom, and 3 on each side) that let you split the auger housing from the tractor. The auger belt has guides on the auger housing that must be loosened or removed to swap the belt. The drive belt can be swapped without having to split the machine.
Oh ok thanks... yes I had read in another post that I could split it into a V and get the new drive belt in without taking it all apart. Thats good to hear it can be done this way. The auger belt looks like it is still in decent shape so I will save the new belt until it goes or try to replace it in the summer. Just need to be able to throw some snow for the rest of the winter and get those tracks moving for now. Any suggestions on getting the new belt onto the pulleys easily?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Take off the belt cover, and then there are 10 bolts (2 each top and bottom, and 3 on each side) that let you split the auger housing from the tractor. The auger belt has guides on the auger housing that must be loosened or removed to swap the belt. The drive belt can be swapped without having to split the machine. Use OEM belts because they're metric and using belts measured in OD inches is problematic.
Can you leave the 2 bolts loose on the bottom like my Craftsman so the housing stays on?
I am lucky on mine I just take off the belt cover, nothing else to do except replace the belts.
Never worked on a Honda.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok thanks... yes I had read in another post that I could split it into a V and get the new drive belt in without taking it all apart. Thats good to hear it can be done this way. The auger belt looks like it is still in decent shape so I will save the new belt until it goes or try to replace it in the summer. Just need to be able to throw some snow for the rest of the winter and get those tracks moving for now. Any suggestions on getting the new belt onto the pulleys easily?
The drive belt I was referr
Can you leave the 2 bolts loose on the bottom like my Craftsman so the housing stays on?
I am lucky on mine I just take off the belt cover, nothing else to do except replace the belts.
Never worked on a Honda.
Not sure yet... wont be doing the job until it warms up here this Sunday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never worked on a Honda.
I was also trying to get a parts blow out on the Honda website but I'm not sure about what the difference is between the HS928 TA/A, TAS/A, WA/A and WAS/A is? The only number I can find on the snowblower is SZAS-1116919.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The drive belt I was referr

Not sure yet... wont be doing the job until it warms up here this Sunday.
Yes, welcome to the site, I was directing that question to tabora.

Reactions: FirstTimeFixin22

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
As long as you are doing them put both new ones on and save the old ones for spares?
If they are not worth saving I would get 2 more spares with a new set.
Your drive belt is bad?
But the Auger belt good?
Most of the time it is the other way around.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as you are doing them put both new ones on and save the old ones for spares?
Your drive belt is bad?
But the Auger belt good?
Yes the drive belt broke off a few weeks ago bit the auger belt is still in tact and only has a few signs of wear on it but no big chunks of belt missing or anything.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
@tabora is right. if it's a HS928 then the drive belt is SA29. you do NOT have to split machine or V the housing to replace the drive belt only. just pry the top belt belt guide a little to pull the auger belt off top pulley and then work the drive belt off. You have to place the blower on nose and support it to work underneath and remove drive belt belt keeper or guide on bottom so you can remove the belt from bottom pulley.

then you can pull belt off from top. the first time doing this will take awhile. it usually takes me 10 minutes but have done it dozens of times.

the machine DOES need to be split for the auger belt. if , in the future you do this replace the impeller bearing as well. reference a you-tube video on this for the Honda HS55. same method. sorry , can not provide link to this but it is very good video for future.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I was also trying to get a parts blow out on the Honda website but I'm not sure about what the difference is between the HS928 TA/A, TAS/A, WA/A and WAS/A is? The only number I can find on the snowblower is SZAS-1116919.
Well, do you have tracks or wheels? Do you have an electric starter? For that serial number:
Tracks = HS928TA
Tracks+Starter = HS928TAS
Wheels = HS928WA
Wheels+Starter = HS928WAS

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Your drive belt is bad?
But the Auger belt good?
the only thing I can think of is the auger belt was replaced at some time. I almost replace both at the same time. i would also tell this owner to check how the drive belt runs on the pulleys. it may be rubbing on one end or the other of the idler wheel or prematurely wearing for some other reason?

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I agree with Big Ed, you may want to change both belts now and avoid a break down in the middle of winter with a 3 foot EOD pile to clear.
You might want to investigate why the belt broke, was it old and getting brittle, if so more reason to change both. Does the belt rub on something, is something seized or jammed?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
You can, but if you're splitting it to do the auger belt, you should really do the impeller bearing at the same time, and probably the side auger bearings, too. They're a cheap common size that you can get anywhere.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
You can, but if you're splitting it to do the auger belt, you should really do the impeller bearing at the same time, and probably the side auger bearings, too. They're a cheap common size that you can get anywhere.
thats what is great about a Honda. I always remove the augers/impeller first which only takes 5 minutes and then remove bucket. much lighter that way.

plus I can service the augers and inspect side bearing which in most cases only needs repacking. servicing the augers( for the OP) is removing the shear pin and pulling augers off so you can clean everything up and apply some anti-seize grease.

you can also install new shears , paint the augers/impeller , install flaps for an impeller kit , paint the inside of housing, apply some fluid film, etc.

if you're gonna do it , you may as well do it right or else you'll have to do it again some time in the near future anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@tabora is right. if it's a HS928 then the drive belt is SA29. you do NOT have to split machine or V the housing to replace the drive belt only. just pry the top belt belt guide a little to pull the auger belt off top pulley and then work the drive belt off. You have to place the blower on nose and support it to work underneath and remove drive belt belt keeper or guide on bottom so you can remove the belt from bottom pulley.

then you can pull belt off from top. the first time doing this will take awhile. it usually takes me 10 minutes but have done it dozens of times.

the machine DOES need to be split for the auger belt. if , in the future you do this replace the impeller bearing as well. reference a you-tube video on this for the Honda HS55. same method. sorry , can not provide link to this but it is very good video for future.
Ok thank you. So there is no way to put in the new drive belt without putting it on its nose then? I dont have an enclosed workspace or any way to really support the snowblower like that. I will be doing this in an open garage on a cement floor and very few tools.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, do you have tracks or wheels? Do you have an electric starter? For that serial number:
Tracks = HS928TA
Tracks+Starter = HS928TAS
Wheels = HS928WA
Wheels+Starter = HS928WAS
Thats exactly what I needed to know. It has tracks and an electric start so its the HS928TAS then. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with Big Ed, you may want to change both belts now and avoid a break down in the middle of winter with a 3 foot EOD pile to clear.
You might want to investigate why the belt broke, was it old and getting brittle, if so more reason to change both. Does the belt rub on something, is something seized or jammed?
Looks like it was just old and brittle and had a lot of chunks missing on it.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Ok thank you. So there is no way to put in the new drive belt without putting it on its nose then? I dont have an enclosed workspace or any way to really support the snowblower like that. I will be doing this in an open garage on a cement floor and very few tools.
well perhaps there is another way. you have to at least loosen the bottom belt giude for the drive belt to remove from bottom pulley. it's just easier forme anyway to put up on nose. i just lean the nose on a 4 by 4 for stability. make sure gas is off and that gas doesnt leak from cap.

or you can ;lean back like this. and put a counterweight on bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well perhaps there is another way. you have to at least loosen the bottom belt giude for the drive belt to remove from bottom pulley. it's just easier forme anyway to put up on nose. i just lean the nose on a 4 by 4 for stability. make sure gas is off and that gas doesnt leak from cap.

or you can ;lean back like this. and put a counterweight on bars.
Ah right on yes. I think I will lean it back like in the second picture and put a counter weight on the bars. Thanks so much for the idea.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts