Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all.

I’ve been dabbling with the idea of building some HSS impeller seal kits and decided to pull the trigger.

-For the purpose to Maximize potential and further improve performance.

-Eliminate clogging & throw further.

*Premium stainless steel reinforcement plate.
*Premium stainless steel hardware.
*Premium 3 ply belted rubber

- Additional benifit - protects impeller housing from damage from rocks can can potential jam between the impeller and housing causing gouging.

The HSS impeller is a new larger diameter design. The shape of the blade and location of the reinforcement underneath makes for a difficult install. Universal impeller kits Do NOT fit.

I put together a kit that lines right up with the shape of the blade resulting in a clean look and easy installation.

*Simply adjust the belted rubber seal to the housing.
*Lay the plate down lined up with the contours of the impeller blade.
*Clamp into place then drill through the pre established holes and bolt into place.

My kit fits ALL HSS724 HSS928 and HSS1332 machines.

Please follow the link to view.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333092216923

PM me with any questions. :blowerhug::blowerhug:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
DO you have a backing plate to support the rubber paddle or are you using the impeller paddle as the backing plate?

Clarence always had his pieces of conveyor belt pre drilled and long enough that they were tight and scraped the interior of the housing clean and wore down over time.

Have you cut away the steel sheet metal that is tilted inward on the chute used to concentrate the flow of snow being blown out which causes the clogging issues on your type of machine?

I would still use plenty of fluid film to blow the snow across the road with the rubber impeller paddles as a matter of doing the job easier.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The rubber is bolted on to the impeller blade with no need for a backing plate.

The rubber seal is not pre drilled. It is sized to fit up against the impeller housing.

I have not removed the chute collar. I did modify its size and pitch.

Fluid film or any other spray lubricant does not work for any significant period of time in the housing and chute.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Have you cut away the steel sheet metal that is tilted inward on the chute used to concentrate the flow of snow being blown out which causes the clogging issues on your type of machine?
That's a proven myth. People, please do NOT hack up your machines.

I
I would still use plenty of fluid film to blow the snow across the road with the rubber impeller paddles as a matter of doing the job easier.
Have you ever used these machines? They blow to kingdom come as is, no spray necessary.

·
Registered
382 Posts
“That's a proven myth. People, please do NOT hack up your machines”

Not a likely accurance, but an undeniable component.
I deny it because people who have removed them still had clogging under the right conditions(as all snowblower do). Reason why is because they were going to slow.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
“That's a proven myth. People, please do NOT hack up your machines”

Not a likely accurance, but an undeniable component.
I deny it because people who have removed them still had clogging under the right conditions(as all snowblower do). Reason why is because they were going to slow.
I believe there was one guy who claimed a clog after omitting the collar. Not much of a sample group to pull from.

With the chute facing far right, a significant amount of snow flow gets deflected off that collar. It’s a no brainer for me, There is an impact. I explain myself and show footage here.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers/109418-hss-modified-chute-snow-flow-footage.html

I just came across this guy that feels the same way.

At least there is something we can all agree on...

Impeller seals boost efficiency, and that’s a good thing.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Hey all.

I’ve been dabbling with the idea of building some HSS impeller seal kits and decided to pull the trigger.

The HSS impeller is a new larger diameter design. The shape of the blade and location of the reinforcement underneath makes for a tricky install. Universal impeller kits are a particularly un-ideal fit.
So what is the typical impeller gap with the new machines that it now needs a seal as opposed to the older style that did not need one? And why does a new machine need a seal kit? An impeller kit will generally throw snow further, does yours throw it further from factory specs.?

·
Registered
382 Posts
So what is the typical impeller gap with the new machines that needs a seal as opposed to the older style that did not need one? And why does a new machine need a seal kit?
The impeller gap on these Honda's are very, very little. Definitely no bigger than the previous gen. I would not go drilling holes in my impeller or hacking up my chute. The "issues" are overblown. People just need to learn how to use these snowblowers to their max potential, there IS a knack to it. And this is coming from somebody first hand who has had clogging twice and never encountered it again simply by modifying my operating techniques. That's all it takes! And trust me, pretty much every snow storm in my area is followed by a ton of rain. So I have had plenty of experience in "the perfect conditions" issue free...

·
Registered
382 Posts
I believe there was one guy who claimed a clog after omitting the collar. Not much of a sample group to pull from.

LOL and how many actually removed it, two? It's enough to tell you it's going to clog even without it - because it just did! Change your operating techniques and you won't have an issue, with or without it.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So what is the typical impeller gap with the new machines that it now needs a seal as opposed to the older style that did not need one? And why does a new machine need a seal kit? An impeller kit will generally throw snow further, does yours throw it further from factory specs.?
From what I’ve seen the HSS machines have as tight, or tighter then the old HS.

Any machine will benefit in a zero clearance impeller. Main improvement is in slushy conditions. Increase tip length increases tip speed but I doubt it’s enough to make a noticeable difference in throwing distance. I personally discovered that the pebbles on my street were the same size as the gap, and were gouging my housing. My MTD with impeller seals had only superficial scratches.

My motivation was to provide an option for individuals who enjoy tinkering and improving their equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
LOL and how many actually removed it, two? It's enough to tell you it's going to clog even without it - because it just did! Change your operating techniques and you won't have an issue, with or without it.
These machines do have a small learning curve, and that’s 90% of the problem. Good technique is paramount to operating anything effectively. Give yourself a pat on the back. The operator can be at fault.

All machines can clog. The biggest outlier is the ability to self clear, which isn’t possible when the taper in the collar creates a wedge. I’m done with the back and forth. Our positions are firm.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have no clogging issues whatsoever, but since I have a gravel drive and I do my best to keep the bucket out of it, my impeller housing stays shiny silver.

I'm either going to line the housing, or you've got me thinking your seal kit would work. Either way, I'm waiting until my warranty is over even though it's been said that Honda would not penalize us for mods...if they were found not to be a problem.

Thanks for posting this.

... personally discovered that the pebbles on my street were the same size as the gap, and were gouging my housing. My MTD with impeller seals had only superficial scratches.

My motivation was to provide an option for individuals who enjoy tinkering and improving their equipment.

·
Banned
474 Posts
It is a nicely constructed mod kit.:smile2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
My HS machines had relatively tight impeller clearance, but both had a very obvious benefit from an impeller kit. In the best case conditions, it appears to not have made much of an impact. Thats not really an issue, since it throws snow very far in best case. The real impact is worst case, when the bucket is very lightly loaded, or filled with slush. The amount of snow required to be able to cleanly clear it across the driveway is much lower now, so its super easy to clear those few inch dustings. Before, it would flare a bit coming out of the chute and some snow might hit the other end of the driveway if I throw it across the width. And for slush, it made an obvious impact, although it did work quite well before. The thing will do a good job effectively pumping water and throw it a few feet no problem.

Now, for a lot of people these things wont matter much. It worked good before the impeller kit, and most people dont clear the slushy stuff at the curb, or throw all the snow to one side of the driveway. So for most people, it probably wont make a difference they care about, but it is a bit better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any machine will benefit in a zero clearance impeller. Main improvement is in slushy conditions. (...) I personally discovered that the pebbles on my street were the same size as the gap, and were gouging my housing.

I'm sorry that the forum isn't being more welcoming of your product. It looks to be a well build mod, and you're right on all the points I quoted above. If I had a new machine, I'd definitely pick up a set!

As it is, I half assed an impeller paddle mod on my HS624 with rubber cut from the sidewall of an old tire and some self tapping screws. The difference with and without the mod is night an day with any kind of heavy snow/slush (which is 95% of what we get here in the Maritimes). FWIW, clearance on the HS models was just under 1/4".

I've also seen the result of blowing a driveway with pea gravel on an auger housing. It's not pretty. Any impeller mod should protect against that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Issues are not overblown. I've owned Hondas for 20 years and NEVER experienced the clogging problems I have with my new HSS1332ATD.
I bet you have just got it and have limited experience in operating it, correct?
I had the same issues when I first got mine, as is well documented on here. However, once I got used to the machine, I learned what made it tick and learned how to operate it to its fullest potential. Haven't had an issue since. So take it first hand from somebody who was once in your shoes, be patient and punch in some experience operating your new machine - learn it inside out and you will be extremely happy with it. As with all machinery, some can operate it much better than others and those are the ones who have no issues with these snowblowers.

Don't take what I am saying personally, as if to say you don't know what you're doing. That's not what I am saying. I have years of experience operating snowblowers and I was lousy using my hss1332 when I first got it. All snowblowers are different and take some getting used to in their own right. Give it time and you'll master it.

Think of snowblowers like women. You could have 20 years experience with your last one and "fulfilled" her every time, then with the new one you may have trouble "fulfilling" her. Doesn't mean there is something wrong with her, shes just different and it's going to take some trial & error/experience to be as good with her as you were with the last one. But trust me, the potential is there for the new one to be even better if you can get it right! LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
It is a nicely constructed mod kit.:smile2:
well thought out and well made, I don't see what all the fuss is about. no one is twisting their arm and making them buy this kit. either you feel you need an impeller kit or you don't and you can still make your own kit

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bet you have just got it and have limited experience in operating it, correct?
I had the same issues when I first got mine, as is well documented on here. However, once I got used to the machine, I learned what made it tick and learned how to operate it to its fullest potential. Haven't had an issue since. So take it first hand from somebody who was once in your shoes, be patient and punch in some experience operating your new machine - learn it inside out and you will be extremely happy with it. As with all machinery, some can operate it much better than others and those are the ones who have no issues with these snowblowers.

Don't take what I am saying personally, as if to say you don't know what you're doing. That's not what I am saying. I have years of experience operating snowblowers and I was lousy using my hss1332 when I first got it. All snowblowers are different and take some getting used to in their own right. Give it time and you'll master it.

Think of snowblowers like women. You could have 20 years experience with your last one and "fulfilled" her every time, then with the new one you may have trouble "fulfilling" her. Doesn't mean there is something wrong with her, shes just different and it's going to take some trial & error/experience to be as good with her as you were with the last one. But trust me, the potential is there for the new one to be even better if you can get it right! LOL
The difference between women and snowblowers is you can tell when a snowblower is faking it.

In 8 years and hundreds of hours I could not clog my HS828.
In 10 years and hundreds of hours I could not clog my HS1132tas.
With 10 hours experiece I have learned my HSS1332ADT clogs easily on wet snow.

I've personally owned 6 snowblwers, 2 plows and used another half dozen machines, mostly during the years I worked doing snow removal for various landscape companies. I've used everything from a shovel to a CAT980H to clear condo complexes. So before I settled down and married this snowblower I'd sown my oats. The only reason I picked her is because I'd dated two of her sisters, and my new job's insurance wouldn't let me put a plow on the company truck.

This machine clogs, much more easily than previous designs. The 3 hours and 30 trial runs at slushy snow are my contribution to the anecdotal evidence. I'm not interested in getting into analogous debate over who's the better operator. We mine as well argue over micro-climates vs technique. After all, the snow in my yard must be different from yours.

It may be as simple as the collar restriction, the angle of the chute, or a combination of these things, all easily fixed. Regardless I'm not happy with the way my $3400 snowblower is performing so I came here for answers as to why. I wish it was just me, but this topic wouldn't exist if it was. There are a lot of capable, experienced, virile men (and some women)putting a lot of effort into getting this girl where she wants to be with no luck. It's not a lack of motion in the ocean that's keeping them from breaking the ice.

It's not feed rate, pattern, technique, lack of lighting or the wrong music. The problem is an flaw incorporated in the design, most likely the chute.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts