Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my mind made up. Ariens platinum 24. Nothing in stock yet but I did find an available Honda. I hadn’t even considered a Honda.

not really apples to apples, but at the end of the day I want a 24” blower.

if I post this in the Ariens forum I’ll get “buy Ariens”, and I’m expecting the same here. (Buy Honda) but I’m seeking some input.

spec wise the Ariens is “better” I.e bigger engine, moves more snow per hour.
honda is “better” I.e track drive, hydrostatic, battery start.

maybe “better” isn’t better? I.e I can fix/replace a disc drive all day and night. Hydrostatic? Nope.

why would I want the Honda over the Ariens? Ariens over the Honda?

price not a factor. I want reliable, easy to maintain/repair. I’ll spend what I need to, but not a penny more than I have to if that makes sense?

I don’t know anyone who owns a Honda. Lots of Ariens and toro where I love. My only Honda experience is a 12 year old Honda 2000 inverter generator. Runs like a champ and it gets A LOT of use. If the Honda blowers are built like the generators I’d be very confident in the purchase.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i could afford the honda, i would get a yamaha.
nope. My local Yamaha dealer is a dealer that I have absolutely zero confidence in. Had a bad experience. I will never by a Yamaha unless another dealer were to appear. (Maybe)

so, Honda or Ariens

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
There are too many variables to consider.

Is this a HSS Honda or a HS? 24? new, used? maintained? still under warranty? amount of snow? type of snow? wet or dry? type of surface? asphalt , gravel, other? availability for service/repair?
Since you said you have no experience with Honda , do you have experience with Ariens?

You're right to assume that each camp will tout their respectable machines.

I'll give you a real life example.

I have nothing but Honda's and love them. Everyone around me have Honda's. I live in the Sierra Nevada which receives BIG snow , much of it heavy and wet and with no exaggeration 8-9 out of 10 snowblowers up here over 6000 feet elevation are Honda's.

My neighbor across the street did not want to spend the $3k for a new Honda and asked me for advice. I suggested the Ariens . This was about 5-6 years ago and he bought a brand new Ariens , 24 inch, for $1299. And it works very well. I also have a 24 inch and we can start and end at about the same time with a foot or more of snow which is common here. He has had it for 5-6 years and has had no issues that I know of.

I tell people all the time that the owner has a LOT of influence on how a machine will perform. Especially with the top brands like Honda, Ariens, Yamaha, Toro ( don't mean to leave out any ) .
A good owner who takes care of his machine and knows how to use it makes all the difference in the world.

good luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m taking new. Buy once cry once.

middle of Canada. Sometimes little snow. Sometimes lots. Sometimes wet and heavy. Sometimes not.

factor in the snowmagedon. Snow of the century. Bring it. Lol.

I maintain my own stuff. Change oil rebuild carbs. I’m fairly handy but more important more than willing to learn.

I have no experience with Honda or Ariel’s blowers. For what it’s worth there are more dealers in my area for Ariens.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The track is better because it helps the machine do the work. This is important as you get older. I have a wheeled Honda HSS928 and it wants to ride up over the end of driveway pile. With the track, you can drive it straight through without having to manhandle it. I like the Honda's engine because it has always started up right away, even after sitting for 6 months. I have an electric start which makes it a turn of a switch to start. I don't have experience with the Ariens, but a lot of people here like them. The carbureted models are more reliable so far.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The track is better because it helps the machine do the work. This is important as you get older. I have a wheeled Honda HSS928 and it wants to ride up over the end of driveway pile. With the track, you can drive it straight through without having to manhandle it. I like the Honda's engine because it has always started up right away, even after sitting for 6 months. I have an electric start which makes it a turn of a switch to start. I don't have experience with the Ariens, but a lot of people here like them. The carbureted models are more reliable so far.
my 1981 blower starts after 6 months. Trufuel 24/7. I’ll always buy a carb version no matter what I buy.

i,can see the track having the advantage. Electric start would be a nice touch!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had an Ariens Deluxe 24 for about 5 years. It was a great snowblower but I wanted a tracked machine and had been longing after a Honda for years. Two years ago I purchased an HSS724ATD and absolutely love it. The Honda machines are hands down a better snowblower the build quality and ease of use is miles ahead of the Ariens stuff. The hydrostatic drive, electric chute, adjustable bucket height and overall smoothness and quality are just amazing. I do think Ariens makes great snowblowers but if you are asking what is better between the two from my first hand experience I would highly recommend Honda.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Let me say from the start that I have only owned tracked Hondas. Prior to the Hondas I had contracted it out and since my laneway has a incline a lot of the wheeled models slipped on the contractors even with chains on. Another reason I chose Honda was their engine reputation. My neighbors having other brands had trouble starting their machines and they had mechanical issues almost right away. If I'm reading your avatar correctly you are in Winnipeg and the weather there, is a lot colder than what I get here in southern Ontario. I just didn't want to have issues starting my machine in the cold which is where mine was kept for 20 years prior to this garage I am in now, and the Honda always started 1st or second pull.
I'm sure Ariens makes a good machine and it's certainly less money to buy. The best choice will be the machine that does the job well, with very few issues, at a price you're willing to pay.
Let us know what you chose and good luck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’d never question the Honda engine. Our generator is run hard. 8 hours a day sometimes. Over ten years old. Still going.

my only concerns:

honda has a smaller (?) imeller possibly? Do they clog?

paul (YouTube guy) speaks about the Ariens 14” auger doesn’t clog.

also one of the gurus here says new Hondas aren’t as good as the older ones?? And the hydro transmissions are problematic?

the Ariens disk drive is simple, cheap, and easily fixable.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
also one of the gurus here says new Hondas aren’t as good as the older ones?? And the hydro transmissions are problematic?
Not in my experience, but I've only had the HSS1332AATD for 5 years... Had it's predecessor HS80K1TAS for 30 years; the new one is vastly superior (so far).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not in my experience, but I've only had the HSS1332AATD for 5 years... Had it's predecessor HS80K1TAS for 30 years; the new one is vastly superior (so far).
how big of an impeller and auger do the Hondas have? If it’s less than 14” (and moving snow says under 14” can clog) what does Honda do (if anything) to prevent this?

toro has their anti clog feature.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If it’s less than 14” (and moving snow says under 14” can clog)
That's an incredibly arbitrary metric... It's not just the impeller diameter that matters, it's more about the speed of the impeller tips, the clearance to the housing and the shape of the chute constriction.
  • The HSS Blower Diameter Increased – for increased snow removal speed and discharge distance
    • HSS724A increased from 252 to 300 mm over previous HS model (to 11.8 inches) throws up to 49 feet
    • HSS928A increased from 300 to 340 mm over previous HS model (to 13.4 inches) throws up to 52 feet
    • HSS1332A increased from 300 to 340 mm over previous HS model (to 13.4 inches) throws up to 56 feet

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's an incredibly arbitrary metric... It's not just the impeller diameter that matters, it's more about the speed of the impeller tips, the clearance to the housing and the shape of the chute constriction.
  • The HSS Blower Diameter Increased – for increased snow removal speed and discharge distance
    • HSS724A increased from 252 to 300 mm over previous HS model (to 11.8 inches) throws up to 49 feet
    • HSS928A increased from 300 to 340 mm over previous HS model (to 13.4 inches) throws up to 52 feet
    • HSS1332A increased from 300 to 340 mm over previous HS model (to 13.4 inches) throws up to 56 feet
just quoting the moving snow guy. He goes on about the Ariens deluxe and platinum being almost impossible to clog.

The honda,24” is under 200cc. or not, factoring in all,the,engineering science stuff?

·
Registered
53 Posts
For a comparison in real life vs looking at specs sheets I can say I was concerned about the Honda GX 200 being underpowered compared to my old Ariens AX 254 LCT engine. It's not at all, the GX200 is vastly superior to the AX254 LCT engine. It's much quieter, smoother, easier to start and fuel efficient. It does not feel underpowered at all and I think it has more torque than the AX it replaced. It can also be re-jetted as well as they do come fairly lean from the factory for EPA regulations. I have not re-jetted my machine yet and have no issues with performance. Honda runs a much higher impeller speed as well so that helps them not clog as much and is why they throw snow a lot further than other brands. The HSS series had some issues early on with the old chute collar being too high and causing clogs in very wet heavy snow. Most likely that will be an issue for any machine though. My Honda has the new chute and it's not had problems. As for hydrostatic issues I have never heard of any Honda snowblower having issues with the hydro drive. They are superior to friction disk drive I believe because the on the fly adjustability of speed makes the job a lot easier.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For a comparison in real life vs looking at specs sheets I can say I was concerned about the Honda GX 200 being underpowered compared to my old Ariens AX 254 LCT engine. It's not at all, the GX200 is vastly superior to the AX254 LCT engine. It's much quieter, smoother, easier to start and fuel efficient. It does not feel underpowered at all and I think it has more torque than the AX it replaced. It can also be re-jetted as well as they do come fairly lean from the factory for EPA regulations. I have not re-jetted my machine yet and have no issues with performance. Honda runs a much higher impeller speed as well so that helps them not clog as much and is why they throw snow a lot further than other brands. The HSS series had some issues early on with the old chute collar being too high and causing clogs in very wet heavy snow. Most likely that will be an issue for any machine though. My Honda has the new chute and it's not had problems. As for hydrostatic issues I have never heard of any Honda snowblower having issues with the hydro drive. They are superior to friction disk drive I believe because the on the fly adjustability of speed makes the job a lot easier.
just,trying to wrap my head around a “lesser” engine being better. I’m an old school (and actually old, lol) guy. No replacement,for displacement right?
Your comparing the,Honda,to the 254ax. Platinum has the 369ax. Big difference.
im leaning towards an Ariens platinum 24”. It’ll do the job.
but Honda checks all my boxes: 24”, track, hydro. Ariens doesn’t make what I need AND want. Just the needs. Honda delivers my needs and wants.

my concerns were/are:

clogging
reliability (not concerned about engine) more so electronic chute control.
ability to fix (me fix…. I can fix just about any issue on an Ariens ).
right side gear box needing a zerk instal? (Not an issue on new machine?)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And now the Honda is gone. It was actually a machine a customer changed their mind. New models “should” be in late,September/early October.

but my local Ariens dealer says they have a platinum 24 ordered last week, and is on a truck on its way. I’d be able to pick it up this week.

what to do? ?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts