Snowblower Forum banner

Honda HSS724CTD or Ariens platinum 24

12K views 115 replies 17 participants last post by  Chilkat 
#1 · (Edited)
I had my mind made up. Ariens platinum 24. Nothing in stock yet but I did find an available Honda. I hadn’t even considered a Honda.

not really apples to apples, but at the end of the day I want a 24” blower.

if I post this in the Ariens forum I’ll get “buy Ariens”, and I’m expecting the same here. (Buy Honda) but I’m seeking some input.

spec wise the Ariens is “better” I.e bigger engine, moves more snow per hour.
honda is “better” I.e track drive, hydrostatic, battery start.

maybe “better” isn’t better? I.e I can fix/replace a disc drive all day and night. Hydrostatic? Nope.

why would I want the Honda over the Ariens? Ariens over the Honda?

price not a factor. I want reliable, easy to maintain/repair. I’ll spend what I need to, but not a penny more than I have to if that makes sense?

I don’t know anyone who owns a Honda. Lots of Ariens and toro where I love. My only Honda experience is a 12 year old Honda 2000 inverter generator. Runs like a champ and it gets A LOT of use. If the Honda blowers are built like the generators I’d be very confident in the purchase.

thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
There are too many variables to consider.

Is this a HSS Honda or a HS? 24? new, used? maintained? still under warranty? amount of snow? type of snow? wet or dry? type of surface? asphalt , gravel, other? availability for service/repair?
Since you said you have no experience with Honda , do you have experience with Ariens?

You're right to assume that each camp will tout their respectable machines.

I'll give you a real life example.

I have nothing but Honda's and love them. Everyone around me have Honda's. I live in the Sierra Nevada which receives BIG snow , much of it heavy and wet and with no exaggeration 8-9 out of 10 snowblowers up here over 6000 feet elevation are Honda's.

My neighbor across the street did not want to spend the $3k for a new Honda and asked me for advice. I suggested the Ariens . This was about 5-6 years ago and he bought a brand new Ariens , 24 inch, for $1299. And it works very well. I also have a 24 inch and we can start and end at about the same time with a foot or more of snow which is common here. He has had it for 5-6 years and has had no issues that I know of.

I tell people all the time that the owner has a LOT of influence on how a machine will perform. Especially with the top brands like Honda, Ariens, Yamaha, Toro ( don't mean to leave out any ) .
A good owner who takes care of his machine and knows how to use it makes all the difference in the world.

good luck on whatever you decide.

#5 ·
I’m taking new. Buy once cry once.

middle of Canada. Sometimes little snow. Sometimes lots. Sometimes wet and heavy. Sometimes not.

factor in the snowmagedon. Snow of the century. Bring it. Lol.

I maintain my own stuff. Change oil rebuild carbs. I’m fairly handy but more important more than willing to learn.

I have no experience with Honda or Ariel’s blowers. For what it’s worth there are more dealers in my area for Ariens.

#8 ·
The track is better because it helps the machine do the work. This is important as you get older. I have a wheeled Honda HSS928 and it wants to ride up over the end of driveway pile. With the track, you can drive it straight through without having to manhandle it. I like the Honda's engine because it has always started up right away, even after sitting for 6 months. I have an electric start which makes it a turn of a switch to start. I don't have experience with the Ariens, but a lot of people here like them. The carbureted models are more reliable so far.

#10 ·
I had an Ariens Deluxe 24 for about 5 years. It was a great snowblower but I wanted a tracked machine and had been longing after a Honda for years. Two years ago I purchased an HSS724ATD and absolutely love it. The Honda machines are hands down a better snowblower the build quality and ease of use is miles ahead of the Ariens stuff. The hydrostatic drive, electric chute, adjustable bucket height and overall smoothness and quality are just amazing. I do think Ariens makes great snowblowers but if you are asking what is better between the two from my first hand experience I would highly recommend Honda.

#11 · (Edited)
Let me say from the start that I have only owned tracked Hondas. Prior to the Hondas I had contracted it out and since my laneway has a incline a lot of the wheeled models slipped on the contractors even with chains on. Another reason I chose Honda was their engine reputation. My neighbors having other brands had trouble starting their machines and they had mechanical issues almost right away. If I'm reading your avatar correctly you are in Winnipeg and the weather there, is a lot colder than what I get here in southern Ontario. I just didn't want to have issues starting my machine in the cold which is where mine was kept for 20 years prior to this garage I am in now, and the Honda always started 1st or second pull.
I'm sure Ariens makes a good machine and it's certainly less money to buy. The best choice will be the machine that does the job well, with very few issues, at a price you're willing to pay.
Let us know what you chose and good luck.

#12 ·
I’d never question the Honda engine. Our generator is run hard. 8 hours a day sometimes. Over ten years old. Still going.

my only concerns:

honda has a smaller (?) imeller possibly? Do they clog?

paul (YouTube guy) speaks about the Ariens 14” auger doesn’t clog.

also one of the gurus here says new Hondas aren’t as good as the older ones?? And the hydro transmissions are problematic?

the Ariens disk drive is simple, cheap, and easily fixable.

#13 ·
also one of the gurus here says new Hondas aren’t as good as the older ones?? And the hydro transmissions are problematic?
Not in my experience, but I've only had the HSS1332AATD for 5 years... Had it's predecessor HS80K1TAS for 30 years; the new one is vastly superior (so far).

#17 ·
For a comparison in real life vs looking at specs sheets I can say I was concerned about the Honda GX 200 being underpowered compared to my old Ariens AX 254 LCT engine. It's not at all, the GX200 is vastly superior to the AX254 LCT engine. It's much quieter, smoother, easier to start and fuel efficient. It does not feel underpowered at all and I think it has more torque than the AX it replaced. It can also be re-jetted as well as they do come fairly lean from the factory for EPA regulations. I have not re-jetted my machine yet and have no issues with performance. Honda runs a much higher impeller speed as well so that helps them not clog as much and is why they throw snow a lot further than other brands. The HSS series had some issues early on with the old chute collar being too high and causing clogs in very wet heavy snow. Most likely that will be an issue for any machine though. My Honda has the new chute and it's not had problems. As for hydrostatic issues I have never heard of any Honda snowblower having issues with the hydro drive. They are superior to friction disk drive I believe because the on the fly adjustability of speed makes the job a lot easier.

#18 ·
just,trying to wrap my head around a “lesser” engine being better. I’m an old school (and actually old, lol) guy. No replacement,for displacement right?
Your comparing the,Honda,to the 254ax. Platinum has the 369ax. Big difference.
im leaning towards an Ariens platinum 24”. It’ll do the job.
but Honda checks all my boxes: 24”, track, hydro. Ariens doesn’t make what I need AND want. Just the needs. Honda delivers my needs and wants.

my concerns were/are:

clogging
reliability (not concerned about engine) more so electronic chute control.
ability to fix (me fix…. I can fix just about any issue on an Ariens ).
right side gear box needing a zerk instal? (Not an issue on new machine?)

#19 ·
And now the Honda is gone. It was actually a machine a customer changed their mind. New models “should” be in late,September/early October.

but my local Ariens dealer says they have a platinum 24 ordered last week, and is on a truck on its way. I’d be able to pick it up this week.

what to do? ?

#22 ·
id lean more towards the Ariens myself.. and NO im not a fanboy lol i just think with more HP on tap.. almost force feeding the machine when in a hurry to get a path cleared out ( i.e. i overslept the day after a big snowfall and am running late for work lol) where the honda will still be able to bore its way thru any snowmageddon as well.. just.. slower process

#23 ·
You‘re a Canuck like me so you can appreciate the price difference of a Honda 714 and Ariens 24 platinum is 1500 taxes in. That’s a lot of cake. Ya, I’m getting hydro, and electric control, and track (if I buy the 24 Great Lakes I get EFI and electric control but no hydro. )

i,can also,argue, disk,drive is tried and true (my 1981,blower = original disk).
sometimes,better is better, but sometimes older is better.

im limited to,24”. If not I’d just buy an Ariens pro 28-32”. I’m a believer in displacement. And moving,snow,says the Hondas clog with wet snow. Shouldn’t be an issue after spending 4k. The Ariens deluxe and platinum don’t clog. (My 1981 8hp mtd doesn’t clog either)

#26 ·
So this thread:

shows the “new and improved” anti clog chute.

but the new Hondas (2022) look like they went back to the clog chutes???

#27 ·
So this thread:
shows the “new and improved” anti clog chute.
but the new Hondas (2022) look like they went back to the clog chutes???
Nope. Old pictures.

#31 ·
I had my mind made up. Ariens platinum 24. Nothing in stock yet but I did find an available Honda. I hadn’t even considered a Honda.

not really apples to apples, but at the end of the day I want a 24” blower.

if I post this in the Ariens forum I’ll get “buy Ariens”, and I’m expecting the same here. (Buy Honda) but I’m seeking some input.

spec wise the Ariens is “better” I.e bigger engine, moves more snow per hour.
honda is “better” I.e track drive, hydrostatic, battery start.

maybe “better” isn’t better? I.e I can fix/replace a disc drive all day and night. Hydrostatic? Nope.

why would I want the Honda over the Ariens? Ariens over the Honda?

price not a factor. I want reliable, easy to maintain/repair. I’ll spend what I need to, but not a penny more than I have to if that makes sense?

I don’t know anyone who owns a Honda. Lots of Ariens and toro where I love. My only Honda experience is a 12 year old Honda 2000 inverter generator. Runs like a champ and it gets A LOT of use. If the Honda blowers are built like the generators I’d be very confident in the purchase.

thoughts?
I considered both and went with the Honda. For me, the hydrostatic transmission was the difference maker. Being 72 and having a steep driveway, the ability to stop half way down the hill safely and to be able to adjust the ground speed to match my legs was invaluable. I have had the Honda 928 for one season and was very satisfied. If none of these things matter to you and you don't mind changing disks, go with the Ariens. One other thing, the honda still has the levers you pull to steer, the ariens is "automatic". Many people like that feature, many do not. I prefer to pull the lever when I turn, as the honda has. Some say if the ariens goes through uneven ground, it might sense the need to turn, which causes the operator to fight with the machine. That would suck and I was very concerned about it, as I have many cracks in my driveway. Food for thought. One other thing, I have the tracked model. Some say it is awkward to use, I think it is awesome for reasons expressed above, no riding up mountains of snow.

#32 ·
how are the levers in the real world? I usually,blow snow with mitts. I envision difficulty trying to turn the Honda.
my current blower is a locked axle. I muscle it to turn (one of the reasons I want a new blower).

a neighbor has an Ariens with the auto turn. I,really liked it. (I only tried it briefly when he showed me the new toy). We just ran it up and down the driveway and likely looked like morons. (It was summer, lol).

i,actually could,squeeze,a 928 in my garage. Ariens blowers are 2” more than the path I.e platinum 24”, is actually 26” wide. Honda is what you see is what you get. So,a 928 is actually 28” (actually a wee bit less). It,sticks out,a bit but doable.

honda pros: hydro, engine,runs forever, quiet, no EFI (easy,access,to,drain, looks “sharp”, everything’s covered. Not sure if battery start is gimmick or a feature. I plug in and start in the garage. I never,refuel outside always when I’m done. Never leave air in the tank, plus I’m ready to roll

cons: price, electric chute, not enough power (unlike;y after watching videos, lack of knowledgable dealers (more salesmanish than actually eating, sleeping, breathing your product

#43 ·
im in Canada, but I like that wheeled version. It’s tracked only in Canada.
No, it's not... Seriously, you make a lot of misleading statements...
71 cm (28 in), Wheel Drive
HSS928CW
MSRP Starting from
$3,599
This dual-stage, wheel drive snowblower clears a 71 cm (28 in.) path and throws snow up to 16 m (52.5 ft.)†

#47 ·
Wrong. I don’t make misleading statements. There is no 24” track Honda available in Canada. Maybe I didn’t explain properly but I’m posting with the assumption we are talking about the 24” version of a machine as my post is about that
You quoted a post and link about a HSS928AW... A 28" Wheeled unit.

And now you've said "There is no 24” track Honda available in Canada." Also not true...

60.5 cm (24 in), Track Drive, ES
HSS724CTD
MSRP Starting from
$3,999
This dual-stage snowblower clears a 60.5 cm (24 in.) path throwing snow up to 15 m (49,2 ft.)†

honda is the odd man out. Most carbs have a prime bulb.
See Post #41...
No primer on my LCT or Onan or Generac or Kawasaki 4-strokes or my B&S V-Twin, either.

#59 · (Edited)
I don't know anything about the Ariens, but my 1987 Honda auger gearbox is still intact and perfectly functional and has never required refilling.

The HSxxx / HSS gearbox design is much superior to the HS80 gearbox, IMO, and the HSS and Ariens gearboxes seem comparable. In any case, it's likely that a shaft seal would fail and leak before the main case gasket would.

Attachments

#63 ·
Another random thought/question…

when you tilt the Hondas back how much space is there from the ground to the bottom of the bucket?

I ask because my space limitation is due to my garage wall having a concrete pony wall of about 9”, and then the stud wall is on top. the space is 26” from the concrete pony wall to the garage door opening (main 16’ door).

my thinking is that since these track machines can climb stairs, I could just place some 2 x 10 pieces on the floor, and then drive the Honda on them. If I can get the Honda up high enough, and get the bucket to clear the concrete I could easily fit an hss928. The 1332 might even be possible. I would have 32” of space as opposed to 26”.

crazy? Just stick to a smaller machine?

#65 ·
14” for the lowest point of the bucket to the floor? If that’s the case I wouldn’t need 2 x 10’s. I could just tip the bucket and park it like I always do. This is good news! Opens up my selection of machine. That seems like a drastic lift though? It’s safe to store it like that? (What happens to the oil?)

#67 · (Edited)
I don't store it like that, and the only reason I can think of for doing this might be to lift the front to start the snowblower up a flight of stairs. My machine is stored on the flat. Tabora has left his tracks on the flat. I tipped my blower back on the rear of the track with the front of the track off of the ground.
You know you could just make a dolly having the proper height, ride the snowblower up onto it, and roll it into your tight storage space.

#70 ·
meh. My city is “wholesale city”. Not much demand for really expensive stuff. Premium blowers are usually last to sell.
the supply chain is working itself out.

and I think rising interest rates have people spooked. They should be. Most people haven’t experienced hard times. I believe they are coming.
if I miss out on new I can always buy used, especially if things go bad. And of course I still have old faithful, lol.

but ya I get it. But I’m dropping serious coin, so I want to make sure it’s spent well. Just need to make sure I buy a machine before I die, lol