Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For older Honda engines, 5hp or so, the pullcord assembly, can you remove the nut in the middle and pull the "pulley" for the rope out without any spring shooting out? I have a sticky cord and don't want to just rewind it, I'd like to thoroughly clean it. It's on another piece of equipment and it's filled with spackle dust and such.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If you completely release the tension on the cord, you can easily disassemble it, but I hate doing it...

Usually, I just clamp the winding hub in place and remove the cord, clean or replace it with a new 4.5-6mm cord, and then reinsert the cord with a figure-eight knot in the end. Then I wind the cord around the hub while holding it in place, giving it an extra turn to add a bit of tension. I check the pull and return a few times before putting on the pull handle, again with a figure-eight knot on the end of the cord.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've misunderstood, the rope is in good condition, I'm not going to replace it. I want to just pull out the pulley and rope away from the housing to clean dust, debri, behind the pulley. The old Briggs had a spring behind the pulley that use to unwind and shoot out, same for 2 cycle weed wackers and blowers. I'm wondering if the rewind spring is enclosed and won't shoot out if I pull the pulley away from the housing.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hello JLawrence08648,

Have you tried using an air compressor with a cleaning nozzle while using a shop vac to clean the starter rope housing of spackle dust? do you have a place where you could hold the starter rope assembly in place using a bungee cord while you pull the rope out and vacuum the dust as it exits the housing?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello JLawrence08648,

Have you tried using an air compressor with a cleaning nozzle while using a shop vac to clean the starter rope housing of spackle dust? do you have a place where you could hold the starter rope assembly in place using a bungee cord while you pull the rope out and vacuum the dust as it exits the housing?
No, I must be getting old and forgetting things, didn't think of it. I have an air compressor, I'll try that. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts