Snowblower Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
non-ethanol gas is available at almost every gas station here, never saw one without(exept the smaller brand of gas station), the shell staion is the nearsest from where I live, I think the non-ethanol is 93, the 85 and 87 have ethanol in them, always use nonethanol gas for my small engine, prevent headache when the season is around the corner

·
Registered
148 Posts
non-ethanol gas is available at almost every gas station here, never saw one without(exept the smaller brand of gas station), the shell staion is the nearsest from where I live, I think the non-ethanol is 93, the 85 and 87 have ethanol in them, always use nonethanol gas for my small engine, prevent headache when the season is around the corner
Don't know where you are in Canada BUT the only stations that don't use ethanol are Canadian Tire (reg and mid have it, supreme does not and it is non-top-tier) and Shell (only supreme is non-ethanol and it IS top-tier). With the exception of Chevron (only sold in B.C. and then again, only their supreme has none), ALL others (Esso, Mobil, etc) have 5-10% in all grades.

If no sticker at all, all grades have it. If sticker only on reg/mid and none on super, then super has none as well.

What major stations you use have none?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Where I live it used to be the only way to get ethanol free fuel was pumping Shell Premium but for several years now Shell premium pumps are no longer marked as E free so I assume all grades now contain ethanol. It hasn't been an issue though as I just add Sta-Bil to the gas jug and I'm good but if I had my druthers I'd by the E free.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just noticed a nearby station advertising clear gas for a 30% cost premium. Funny because winter premium here (4000ft altitude in central Oregon) is ethanol-free anyway. Time to swap the summer gas in the cans for fresh stuff anyway. Away we go!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Our shell premium still is 0% (stickers still attached)

You can ask the station attendant if it has/has not got E in it. If you still think it does, ask him to show you their delivery receipt (I did in the past when I used a diff brand and he did). There's no prices on it so there should not be an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think most of the fuel here in the Marttimes comes from the Irving refinery here in Saint John. The stations I usually go to have it labelled as such I.e. 0 % ethanol, regular has 10% and midgrade/ supreme up to 5%.

Found this online regarding Canadian gasoline supply and distribution
Irving gas is NOT ethanol free, at any grade. I know this because I asked one attendant, who actually called their boss to confirm. What IS ethanol free: Shell Supreme, Canadian Tire Supreme (which is actually Shell gas re-branded, from what I read in another forum), and Ultramar Supreme.

·
Registered
93 Posts
and Ultramar Supreme
I was curious about the Ultramar, as there is a station an hour away from me, (their 91 has ethanol). I just pulled this from their website. Damn regulations allow ethanol free in certain provinces and not right across the country? Even with 87 in some locations.

Do we add ethanol to our Ultramar gasoline?
We follow Canada's Clean Fuel Standards (Federal and Provincial regulations) and are pleased to offer our customers lower-carbon fuel options where available. All Ultramar service stations sell 87 Octane fuel, which contains up to 10% ethanol, except in Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and the Quebec City region, where 87 Octane fuel is still ethanol-free. For 91 Octane fuel, all regions have up to 10% ethanol content except for the Provinces of Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, and New Brunswick, where 91 Octane fuel is still ethanol-free. We indicate on the pump or by the grade selectors if the gasoline does not contain ethanol or contains up to 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
326 Posts
FWIW, a simple ethanol concentration "tester" is amazing cheap. If you want the Final Word on what you have available.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts