Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the places in your area starting finally starting to catch up or are you still finding a lot of empty shelves ??

·
Registered
737 Posts
We've been self-quarantined for a full week today so no information on stores yet. I'm still eating fresh food, but will run out of that early next week. Then, I'll fire up the grill and cook some thawed-out steaks or pork chops.

Instacart has just delivered 3 cases of diet coke and some swiss cheese cubes. It was a non-contact drop-off and I used the internet for the transaction. I looked at the prices at different stores in the area (on Instacart site) and found that the big box store had the best price.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
the local store has noticeably less stock, but not to the point of worry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Certain items (toilet paper and sanitized wipes) are flying off pallets as soon as they are brought to the sales floor in southwest Michigan/northern Indiana. These shortages are at Costco, Sams Club, Walmart, and Meijers. Sams has limited most items to one per customer per day. There are smaller grocery stores in the area where these items can be found at a higher price then what they are at the stores I mentioned. But these smaller stores run out of the items pretty fast also. Although there is hoarding of certain items, I am not seeing any panic buying. People are generally smiling and holding doors for other folks and being polite to each other. I do not think that the "catch up" on certain items has happened around here. I think people are saying hang in there.... the supply chain is in place and running... the catch up will happen. I do like Miles idea of shopping and may look into that if things get worse. And by worse I mean the government forcing stores to close for a certain length of time. That has not happened here yet.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Stores were quite busy, the usual low on paper towel, toilet paper, facial tissue, and disinfectant wipes. However food supplies were good and being rapidly restocked at Target. Remember to show a trucker and a store worker some love!

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
The empty shelves tell what food is important. Meat, chips, frozen meals, sodas
yes , have seen this too. water and paper products. any kind of convenience meal. got lucky and picked up a couple frozen pizza's.

produce was plentiful, OJ too.

no donuts, comfort food is scarce.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
yes , have seen this too. water and paper products. any kind of convenience meal. got lucky and picked up a couple frozen pizza's
I think the frozen pizzas were a good move. They have a little bit of everything on them. That has to be healthy. Sad to say, but I turned into a fuel hoarder. I can't fit even 1 oz of fuel into anything I own. The fuel cans are the same.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Gas is cheap currently, so at least you got a good deal on it :) I won't fault anyone for gathering fuel at the moment. Especially with greatly-reduced demand (much less people commuting), I doubt there will be a shortage currently. I haven't filled tanks themselves, but my bigger cans are full.

orangputeh, great, now you've got me wanting donuts! :)

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I think the frozen pizzas were a good move. They have a little bit of everything on them. That has to be healthy. Sad to say, but I turned into a fuel hoarder. I can't fit even 1 oz of fuel into anything I own. The fuel cans are the same.
well, we are always ready with extra fuel because of power outages up here for the generators and blowers. nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Skipped my weekly trip to Costco, I go for school lunch items for my son but with school closed, we are not going through the items like strawberries, to atlas and granola bars.

Did the weekly shopping at the grocery stores this morning. I didn't find it that bad. Lots of bread, produce and meat. The big 3 bars shelf items I noticed were lysol wipes, pasta and flour.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Last Saturday, at Costco, 100+ people in line 1 hour before opening, I went to 2 grocery stores, Wegman's was crowded, Shop Rite was not, no tissues, toilet paper, dish detergent, bread, pasta, no chicken or meat at Wegmans, Shop Rite had them. Today Sunday went again, Wegmans had people, Shop Rite was empty, same for supplies lacking, Shop Rite had more on the shelves and had bread.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Last Saturday, at Costco, 100+ people in line 1 hour before opening, I went to 2 grocery stores, Wegman's was crowded, Shop Rite was not, no tissues, toilet paper, dish detergent, bread, pasta, no chicken or meat at Wegmans, Shop Rite had them. Today Sunday went again, Wegmans had people, Shop Rite was empty, same for supplies lacking, Shop Rite had more on the shelves and had bread.
I keep going to Hannaford's for paper towels but they never seem to have them in stock. I can't believe they are restocked and others are getting there before I do. Lysol is another one...over the past two weeks I've only been able to find a lone 7 oz can.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I keep going to Hannaford's for paper towels but they never seem to have them in stock. I can't believe they are restocked and others are getting there before I do. Lysol is another one...over the past two weeks I've only been able to find a lone 7 oz can.
I had the same problem with Lysol. Walmart and Sams empty each time I was there up until this last time. Walmart had a case (12 cans?) of Lysol and one case of the generic stuff. I grabbed two of the Lysol and felt very lucky until I got home and found one can had no propellant :sad2: Returned it the next morning and they only had a couple cans of the generic so I grabbed one of those. It's something how the little things like this can make you feel like you scored a gold find.

Today I was trying to find more steam vaporizer liquid for the GF's vaporizer. Had to pull it out a couple days ago as she's having a little congestion. Kept finding it out of stock including the Vick's and generic brands. Finally found some online but I'll be out well before it gets here. Also found out cough drops are the new toilet paper. Can't get Halls Mentho-Lyptus anywhere and ended up ordering some gemeric menthol ones along with the vaporizer fluid. Just crazy.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Gas is cheap currently, so at least you got a good deal on it :) I won't fault anyone for gathering fuel at the moment. Especially with greatly-reduced demand (much less people commuting), I doubt there will be a shortage currently. I haven't filled tanks themselves, but my bigger cans are full.

orangputeh, great, now you've got me wanting donuts! :)
gas is 3.89 here when i go to costco 40 miles away it's 2 something. another great advantage of living in taxafornia

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not too much panic from what I can see except the perpetually empty paper goods shelves. According to my wife, this seems to have abated a bit. One amusing thing happened last weekend when I brought my bottles in to get the deposit refund. A lady was emptying one of the RVMs (reverse vending machines) and I was about 6' away feeding another. I cleared my throat and her reaction would be best described as that of someone who was just parachuted into a leper colony. What a hoot.

A buddy of mine also sent me this. Also a hoot.

Lastly, I've heard a lot of summercaters are heading to Maine early to get out of the population centers. Lovely.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
gas is 3.89 here when i go to costco 40 miles away it's 2 something. another great advantage of living in taxafornia
Geez. Gasbuddy is showing it as low as about $2.10 here. Good luck.

Hoping that we've got enough of the really-popular supplies to get to the point that they're back to being on shelves when you need them.

I expect that the panic buying is somewhat self-fulfilling. If you've seen empty shelves of an item, you're more likely to buy extra if you *do* find it. It's scarce, you want to make sure you'll have some, totally understandable IMO. This week it's TP, etc, a month ago it was masks, who knows what it'll be next?

Hopefully if they can get the shelves stocked again, it will help ease the extra-buying.

Society functions fairly normally when everything is available, and things are stable. Once items become tough to find, people adopt a different mentality, and things likely get less friendly.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I got laid off last Thursday and decided to stop at the grocery store on the way home. once there I couldn't find a parking spot. got out kind of early Friday to go grocery shopping, only thing I saw them out of was eggs. went to a different store Saturday for some ground chuck, they seemed to be fully stocked. gas at most stations is $ 1.69, I saw a few today at $ 1.59

1 - 20 of 182 Posts