Snowblower Forum banner

121 - 140 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Crazzy, FYI, TSC Guelph is open to a few customers at a time.... I had something ordered before this stuff hit and it arrived this week and i did a curbside pickup. They had a station outside and were counting the customers that went in and out.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i always forget about TSC but i think they fall into a similar category as grocery stores for farmers. they are letting people in but i don't think they really want you browsing. pretty sure they just want you to get what you need and get out. i do know that the hardware stores like home hardware, home depot and Canadian tire are closed to the public and you got to order online or call in your order and pickup out front. Canadian tire has a number you call when you are out front and the employee will bring your stuff out to your vehicle. seems to be the way they are going to protect their employees

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
At least around here, Home Depot is still open. I believe our local hardware store is also open. I opted not to place my order online, for store pickup. I figured that my items (seed & fertilizer) just sit in stacks outside. So if I ordered online, someone would have had to go get the bags, and handle them. Getting them myself, probably no one had needed to touch them in several days, and then I did self-checkout.

I did notice that HD had special parking spots outside, where they could bring your online-order items out to your car.

TSC was great the other day. I parked in a pick-up spot, and called the # on the sign. Then they brought my order out to the car. I think you were still allowed to go in the store, as some people were walking out.

JoAnn Fabric is closed to foot-traffic, you can only order online, then they bring your order outside. So I got my cotton fabric yesterday. Then FedEx updated the delivery of my mini sewing machine from today, pushing it out to Thursday. Bummer, I was hoping to work on making masks this weekend. They'd be available, plus it would give me something to do. This is what counts as excitement these days, I guess :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Lines to get into stores today, more shoppers guven Easter weekend and stores being closed for Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Still no Lysol or Clorox wipes on the shelves. The only item that was on my list that I could not find was 0% lactose free milk. ended up buying the 1% milk.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I had ordered on the Safeway grocery website and got a really nice rib roast today. I tried to get a roast, sweet potatoes, and ice cream. I'm pre-heating the oven to cook right now.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
we may be sneaking out of the house today to drive 35 miles to go get take out from In an Out burger. ( watched TBL again....The Big Lebowski )

please don't turn us in........which is becoming commonplace around here ( people turning people in ) for not staying home.

I just don't see the problem taking a drive in car if you don't come into contact with another human being. people sure are nasty on social media. re-enforcing my misanthropic tendencies.......

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We've been pretty lucky with everything except toilet paper and flour. Many parts of the stores appear to be well-stocked, but the meat, chicken etc. can be slim-pickin's.

Some of the stores have set up early AM shopping for the old timers (age 60+) beginning at 6AM and running for 1 hour. Some stores have long lines out in front, other stores you just walk right in. One store we visited last week had set up a traffic flow pattern (uni-directional aisles) which I thought was a pretty good idea and did assist in keeping people apart.

I hope y'all are doing well ! I drained the gas from one snow throw and poured in a bit of TruFuel. I still have one more machine to do the same on. I also scored a $25 Toro S120 a few weeks ago that's in pretty nice shape, just needs a little TLC.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
I had ordered on the Safeway grocery website and got a really nice rib roast today. I tried to get a roast, sweet potatoes, and ice cream. I'm pre-heating the oven to cook right now.
Let's eat!!. Man does that look scrumptious!

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Lines to get into stores today, more shoppers guven Easter weekend and stores being closed for Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Still no Lysol or Clorox wipes on the shelves. The only item that was on my list that I could not find was 0% lactose free milk. ended up buying the 1% milk.
We bought some powdered milk and condensed milk about two months ago. We only use milk for cooking anyway so we'll probably never go back to real milk again. Never spoils and you make only as much as you want. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I see the same 'type' of of people that I usually see, but on a higher level of stupidity. I usually am the only person in the store not on a phone, with a dog or cat. There was one broad with a mask and rubber gloves literally sqeezing every loaf of bread and package of hamburger buns.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Well, you want to make sure they're ripe!

We haven't gone grocery shopping in about a week and a half. We'll probably go in the next few days. I've got one mask made, and working on #2, so we'll each have one.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Well, you want to make sure they're ripe!

We haven't gone grocery shopping in about a week and a half. We'll probably go in the next few days. I've got one mask made, and working on #2, so we'll each have one.
what i don't get is the people wearing masks while they are riding bicycles or driving alone in their cars, walking alone , etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
what i don't get is the people wearing masks while they are riding bicycles or driving alone in their cars, walking alone , etc.
It may look stupid wearing a mask in the car but once I put it on I do all the shopping I'm going to do, store to store before I take it off. When breathing in you might be collecting the virus on the surface of the mask and touching it would possibly transfer to your hands and then you might get it on your face, eyes, mouth ... So once on it stays on and only comes off when I'm on my way home.
I feel pretty dumb wearing it when I drive but I don't want to touch it until I know I'm on my way home and I'm not stopping anywhere else. What I find crazy is that most folks shopping in the stores still don't have any kind of mask. I know we're no hot spot (WI) but still why chance it? Especially the younger kids stocking the shelves. If I was their parent I'd be going crazy worrying about them. They might have a much lower chance of being seriously affected by the virus but I wouldn't want to take the chance of my kid being the one in whatever that catches it and doesn't recover because he through it was only old people that get it. :sad2:

I had to go out yesterday to get one of my GF's prescriptions and I was the only one in line, that was nice.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Was surprised last time at Sams club no skim milk and they had gone to a different supplier for the Whole, 1 and 2 percent which had a funny looking narrow but long plastic container. Then on the news I see the farmers are dumping thousands of gallons of milk that used to go to commercial accaounts, schools, restaurants, ... down the drain since there is almost no demand. Apparently it's a matter of packaging and delivery. Similar to toilet paper. With toilet paper I thought it was hording but it's due to everyone using the "plush" home style toilet paper now that most familys are staying home and not using the commercial (1 ply 2ft dia) stuff at work, restaurants, stores, ... The commercial market just doesn't have a way to switch over to the retail market easily. Such a shame.

Apparently what I was seeing is the new wave of containers that take less space.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
That's pretty interesting, on both items. I hadn't thought about the shift in the type of usage, from work to home.

It's terrible to think about food going to waste, especially as people are lining up at food-distribution sites across the country. But at the same time, especially for perishable items, I can understand there must be challenges with trying to adapt to this new usage pattern.

It will be interesting to see the milk supply and type the next time we go to the grocery store. I do have my emergency stash of almond milk, but I hope that conventional milk is available. I usually go through a fair amount of milk, but am trying to use less, to help us go longer between trips to the store.

I tried freezing a half gallon of skim. It was ok, but there were... bits in it after it thawed. Not the end of the world, but weird, so I'd rather not have to freeze it.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Most of the necessities like alcohol and some brands of soap and in-can foods have been out of stock for weeks now. I really hope this quarantine ends soon.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
here one can add frozen foods the that list. closed produce,closed deli. closed fresh fish, limited meat, small amounts of bread goods . still no paper goods.

basically sick of the hording being done,

121 - 140 of 182 Posts