Snowblower Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
We went for groceries yesterday. The meat cooler was pretty empty. I was hoping to get hamburger, but that was gone, along with a lot of other things. So we got frozen burgers.

It seems like maybe the reports of disruptions to the meat supply chain are triggering some buying. I don't fault people for that. We have a bunch in the freezer already, so we're not in bad shape, but it is unfortunate to see it kind of empty in the store.

There was no TP. You could buy hand sanitizer, but it was in weird packaging. More like travel size Listerine bottles, or at least that's what it looked like. I'd heard that suppliers were scrambling to use any containers they could get their hands on.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Went for groceries today. Noticed frozen pizzas and frozen fruit are selling well.
Bought some ground beef and pork chops for the freezer.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Panic buying in full swing at my local Sams 2-3 days ago on my latest trip. No hamburger, no chicken, no turkey, no porkchops, no ...... some fish but for the most part just a lot of empty coolers with a few items that weren't popular or were the expensive cuts.

IMG_20200501_163240014[1].jpg

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Wow, that is REALLY cleaned out! When we went to Hannaford's last week, the meat coolers were pretty sparse, I couldn't find the stuff I wanted. But there were still things to choose from, at least.

We have things in the freezer, so we're in decent shape. But to replenish our little supply, we have to get more creative/lucky, or go at the right time of day.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just got a shipment of frozen beef packed on dry ice from Omaha Steaks. They are online and still have meat in stock.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I know I eat too much meat so this isn't so bad. Hope I can get a little chicken and hamburger once in a while. Hamburger for sloppy joes and taco/burrito and 1/2 a chicken breast, diced goes great with a brick of ramen soup.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am keeping an eye on what I have in the freezer. I am a bit worried that meat will become in short supply. Here (north of the border), our country's largest virus outbreak is at a meat plant that provides 40% of the beef processing in Canada.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Did a groceries run yesterday. Was pretty surprised to see that the TP area was still empty, at 2 months in. Wow.

But the meat case was in better shape than our last trip. I did notice more things than usual in kind of bulk packaging. Like a big bag of 10 pounds of chicken breast.

Maybe things that would often go to restaurants are going to stores? I've got a vacuum sealer, but I don't have enough freezer space to fit something like that, unfortunately.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I noticed a couple of the restaurants here are actually selling the meat such as steaks and chicken direct to the public kind of like a 'truckload sale'. Big quantities if one wanted to stock up the freezer.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
That's interesting, I haven't seen that. But at least one restaurant here is selling uncooked meat "kits", for you to prepare at home. Burgers, chicken, etc, some with potatoes and so on. I applaud them for thinking somewhat outside the box, and offering a different approach, in addition to take-out.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I shopped at a big box store today. They had some beef, but no rotisserie chicken, though there was some cooking. They did have plenty of milk, but ice cream was sparse. Yogurt and cheese were plentiful as was coffee. There was canned tomato sauce, paste and diced tomatoes, but I did not pick any up. I'll go back tomorrow for the canned tomatoes which I use to make a hamburger and bean chili.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Did a Costco run to Kelowna on Friday and were some limits on beef but overall is was a good trip 5 minutes in line and in the door.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Panic buying in full swing at my local Sams 2-3 days ago on my latest trip. No hamburger, no chicken, no turkey, no porkchops, no ...... some fish but for the most part just a lot of empty coolers with a few items that weren't popular or were the expensive cuts.

View attachment 167235
Here in cow and corn country the meat coolers are fairly well stocked. Price has risen by 50% but still well stocked. There are LOTS of ads on the local facebook buy/sell pages offering sales of 1/4, 1/2 or whole cows, hogs Etc. We have quite a few Mennonite and other mom and pop shops that are very well stocked with all types of meat, flour, yeast and all the items that are hard to find in the chains. I consider us very fortunate. Life has not changed much for us. Some are REALLY hurting and in trouble. I won't comment on our state govt.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Back to B.J.'s big box this morning. There was a limit on t.p., o.j. and canned meat/protein. They did have paper towels, beef, pork and chicken. I got boxes of canned tomatoes and tomato paste plus ice cream and a rotisserie chicken.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I know I eat too much meat so this isn't so bad. Hope I can get a little chicken and hamburger once in a while. Hamburger for sloppy joes and taco/burrito and 1/2 a chicken breast, diced goes great with a brick of ramen soup.

my wife makes some fabulous dishes with ramen. something called Yakasobi or something like that. found the recipe online. spicy with chicken and veggies.she makes a lot so i can have leftovers for days. sometimes even for breakfast.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i was at my local grocery store today. they are still out of stupid stuff like baking soda and a few other stupid things that are usually found in the same area but other than that the store wasn't too bad. it also probably didn't hurt that i was there after 8pm. i am just glad this store has gone back to its normal store hours. was maybe 12 cars in the parking lot when i was there which means it wasn't very busy inside which is how i like. i normally do my shopping in the evening for this very reason.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Same with my local grocery store, back to 24 hrs. I'm not so much a late night shopper but the more hours they are open the more spread out the shoppers might be. I was so sorry to see how people reacted to the holiday with the mass gatherings and no masks. I don't want anyone to be stuck in their home or "living in fear" but grouping together without any distance or masks IMHO is as crazy as those who took the tide pod challenge or the cinnamon challenge just to see if they could. If you don't want to help prevent me or someone else from getting it at least take care of yourself.

Just in case you missed it: Consumption of Tide Pods - Wikipedia and Cinnamon challenge - Wikipedia
These are just a couple that jump to mind.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i think there was maybe 6 people shopping when i hit the grocery store. i am just continuing to hit them in the evening and it is paying off. only annoyance right now is the limits. they had chocolate milk sort of on sale but had a damn limit of 2 and they are only 750ml. i like when the 1 or 2 litre one go on sale. i usually grab 3-4 litres. they had a sign right at the chocolate milk so i will likely have to make a few more trips in there eventually.

sucks that the numbers are going up a bit there but i would take 8 active cases over the 300-600 new cases we are seeing daily over in Ontario. i know the numbers are annoying me a bit. the numbers in all other provinces except Ontario and Quebec are looking pretty and going down daily. i don't get how they continue to go up. the numbers coming out of Quebec are just insane and make me wonder what they must be doing wrong to keep the 500+new cases daily.

161 - 180 of 182 Posts