Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my Ariens ST824, 924050, needed a new brake pad for stopping the augers. I ordered a new one, it comes straight. How do I bend this into the curve it needs to be without it breaking on me. Heres a photo of the new pad and the old one on the back of the machine. However you do it, I might try on my old brake pad first. Heat it up, soak it in water? I don't have a roller, is their somewhere they can roll it into shape if need be?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,310 Posts
Dusty, how does ir attach? rivets or bolts? you have contact info from manufacturer?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its attached using rivets. That parts no problem. I just need to form it into the correct shape in order to install it. It says 31 were sold, so evidently their is a method to doing this. I have contacted the seller and asked, I'm waiting for a reply now. Its made by Ariens, so I'll be contacting them next if necessary and see what they say to do. The item is refundable if I cant do it, but I wanna see if its possible first.
The seller just got back to me, they said they don't have instructions on how to do it. Next up is Ariens, in the meantime if anyone knows, feel free to comment.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Is this an Ariens part or a clone? Maybe Ariens sells the one already bent.

Sheet metal fabrication shops have rollers to bend but I think that material will crack.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Premium Member
7,310 Posts

Sheet metal fabrication shops have rollers to bend but I think that material will crack.
ya , i'm thinkinh the same thing. i would check ariens parts list and see if they have a picture . should already be rounded .....I am just assuming that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
No water or heat. Just use a small c clamp and a thin strip of wood to protect the pad centered between the holes Line up the holes as best you can and slowly crank the clamp to push the pad into the curve. Install rivets tightly and it will hold its shape.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Its OEM Ariens, sold thru a parts distributor. Ariens makes it and sells it like this as well as already on another metal arm for more. If I cant bend it, I'll send it back and get the one already installed on the arm. Thought it was a waste to buy it on the arm since my arm is perfectly good, had I known it would have been this much trouble, would have just got it alteady curved and riveted to the arm. Will contact Ariens in morning, if they can help, parts goin back for the one with it already on the arm.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No water or heat. Just use a small c clamp and a thin strip of wood to protect the pad centered between the holes Line up the holes as best you can and slowly crank the clamp to push the pad into the curve. Install rivets tightly and it will hold its shape.
Awesome thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya , i'm thinkinh the same thing. i would check ariens parts list and see if they have a picture . should already be rounded .....I am just assuming that.
Its OEM Ariens sold thru a parts distributor. They sell it this way and already installed on the arm. Going to try the clamp method tomorrow.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke with Ariens technical support, they said soak the pad in warm water to make it pliable to bend into shape. They didn't mention the C-clamp, but the combination of the two should make it easy. I'll replace it if I get time this summer, if not I'll take care of it before the first storm. I'm working on mowers now, that was the last snowblower I had to finish working on, so I had all the blowers I had, done and ready to use and sell. I'll catch ya all in the fall. Take it easy. 😎

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
. I'll catch ya all in the fall. Take it easy. 😎
Hey Dusty, I don't remember if I seen you there, but mylawnmower.com forum would be happy for you to join.

Reactions: Dusty

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Dusty, I don't remember if I seen you there, but mylawnmower.com forum would be happy for you to join.
I'll check it out, thanks.
I am a member of mytractorforum.com, also a great forum.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured I would share this now that I am back on summer power equipment, before I head off the forum for the summer. My neighbor gave me this one, the other day. I have had about 15 of these in the last 10 years. My first one was given to me by my Uncle when I was about 16. The Classic AYP made Craftsman II LT4000. Its a true 12hp (465cc). It has the best single cylinder tractor engine ever built by Briggs, the I/C Flathead. Those engines, good ole splash lube, as long as their is oil in them, they run forever. Paired with the LT4000 chassis, a solid dependable chassis. Combined, these are some of the best Lawn Tractors ever sold by Sears. Its a 5 speed, 38". All it needed was a new blade, one was bent worse than I think I ever saw. The deck was solid it just needed a repainting. After that just routine maintenance and a wash. I added the bagger as I was originally going to list it for sale. Around here in that condition with the bag, $650 is the going rate for one. However after seeing how good of condition the unit is in I have decided to retire my Snapper RER and keep this to mow my property. My Snapper even with a sharp blade, doesn't cut very well, you have to go over the grass 2-3 times to get that good sharp cut and I always get filthy dirty on the snapper because your low to the ground and right above the mower deck. So out the Snapper goes and in comes the Craftsman. The Tractor's they sell now with those crappy Briggs intek engine's throw rods like its their job, also they rate a 500cc engine as 19 and 20 gross hp and the 540cc as 20 and 21 gross hp. Its off base. The 12hp flathead is 465cc and honestly, its as powerful as those inteks, its just a true 12hp engine. I added the bagger, I wont need it, so I'll either list it for sale or hang onto it for another future tractor. This tractor was built in 1995, not bad for 26 years old. The bagger is from 1988. Have a great summer guys!

Attachments

Reactions: Grunt and Ziggy65

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so my Ariens ST824, 924050, needed a new brake pad for stopping the augers. I ordered a new one, it comes straight. How do I bend this into the curve it needs to be without it breaking on me. Heres a photo of the new pad and the old one on the back of the machine. However you do it, I might try on my old brake pad first. Heat it up, soak it in water? I don't have a roller, is their somewhere they can roll it into shape if need be?
Wrong part.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wrong part.
No, its the correct part. They don't ship those pre bent in the package, they'll get broken during shipping, very fragile, will easily get crushed. How to bend it and install it covered above. For those who aren't comfortable bending it yourself, just spend the extra money for one already bent and rivited on a replacement arm. I didn't, I found that to be a waste of material and money. Got to learn something new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perhaps the pad does not need to be curved to work? or to attach to the arm? I assume subject pad is the auger sheave brake pad. The handbook illustration shows the bent away from the sheave so the sheave only contacts the pad in one place.
I'd think if it were flat, the same thing (one point contact) is accomplished. The brake pad material to me seems brittle. It's probably manufactured using heat and pressure. May not be the easiest item to reform.
Curious to learn how you make out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perhaps the pad does not need to be curved to work? or to attach to the arm? I assume subject pad is the auger sheave brake pad. The handbook illustration shows the bent away from the sheave so the sheave only contacts the pad in one place.
I'd think if it were flat, the same thing (one point contact) is accomplished. The brake pad material to me seems brittle. It's probably manufactured using heat and pressure. May not be the easiest item to reform.
Curious to learn how you make out.
Yep, its a curved shoe, the original one on their is curved. More importantly the end of the metal arm the shoe is riveted too is also curved, so it has to be curved or you can't install it to the arm, will not work flat, arm is curved, its made to conform to the round pulley its stopping, a flat shoe probably would have worked, but they didn't make the arm flat, so you can't. I know on lawn tractor decks their flat, but the metal arm is curved on the blower. I spoke with Ariens, as mentioned above they said soak it in some warm water to make it pliable and if necessary use a c clamp to help conform it into shape on the arm. It shouldn't be too bad. I'll find out likely in December earliest because I'm back on mowers. Here is a video of one where the guy just replaced the entire arm so they can see what the part looks like and what shape it is. Skip to 6:20 in the video to see the brake mechanism.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts