Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I order on Amazon snow blower carrier ramp, got pretty good deal just $170 for Aluminum Hitch Mount...
I read on another site that the vehicle could not go above 40mph while using the carrier. Does anyone have any recommendations experience about speed limit on how fast you can drive transporting snow thrower? I have durango 2018

Registered
lol ... Depends on your class of hitch on your vehicle and how it is installed. Also on how you secure the unit.

I have an aluminum trailer, so no issue, .... but if I had a hitch ramp on, with a snowblower on it, with all that weight on the hitch itself, no tires like a trailer supporting the weight, and as your hitting bumps or ground discrepancies putting increased sporadic weight in the hitch, I certainly would not be barreling down the interstate at 75 miles an hour. I would probably cruise at 50-55 miles max, staying on the side roads.

Super Moderator
i usually keep it 50mph or lower

Reactions: Eyeboltman

Registered
I just drove home with this on the hitch carrier... I had 3 winch straps holding it and the dolly to the carrier, and two going from the back corners of the carrier up and over the sink to the two rear corners of the Subaru roof rack. Those two were carrying a good bit of the weight. I probably didn't exceed 45 and the trip was uneventful. With the scooter or a cast iron wood stove or the Honda HS80K1TAS or the pressure washer, 75 is no problem. With the HSS1332AATD, I'd probably stay at 50 or less.

Registered
honestly i stay between 65-75 even with an st1032 but mine doesnt have a ramp either and my trailblazer doesnt mind the weight

Registered
normal highway speeds, avoid potholes etc. make sure your tongue weight can handle the combined carrier and load total. my vehicle can tow up to 5k lbs, so my tongue is 10% of that. my carrier weighs about 75 lbs and the blower weighs about 125. ratchet tie it down well.

Attachments

Registered

Like others have said I鈥檓 more cognizant of potholes and such, but I think whatever your hauling should be secured so you can drive your normal highway speeds. This is the photo when I brought this one home. It was a mile away and on 25 MPH roads. 2 good straps, I鈥檒l secure the ramp properly and drive my normal speeds.

Registered
I use a trailer I bought in 1969 for $75 bucks when I was 13 for a lawn mowing business. My Mom and and Dad would drive me to a 55 plus mobile home park and I would cut lawn for 3-5 dollars each I had 65 customers. I鈥檓 64 now and still pulling power equipment around with the same old trailer. 馃檪

Attachments

Registered
When transporting is needed, I strap my machines to the roof. Highway speed usually isn't an issue....it's the low drive-thru overhangs that can ruin your day. Got to remember to put that chute deflector in the down position. 馃槣

Registered
Seriously, it really depends on the construction of your carrier. Lately, I've seen some pretty poor examples that could barely support a cooler and a couple of six packs. After the success of the carriers designed to actually carry weight, there are a bunch of copycats that are producing real junk.

Registered
I use a trailer I bought in 1969 for $75 bucks when I was 13 for a lawn mowing business. My Mom and and Dad would drive me to a 55 plus mobile home park and I would cut lawn for 3-5 dollars each I had 65 customers. I鈥檓 64 now and still pulling power equipment around with the same old trailer. 馃檪
and still cutting lawns for $3-5??

Premium Member
This is something where you have to consider the entire picture. People have made some really good points above. How good is the trailer hitch and its installation? How good is the vehicles frame that is taking up the load? How well made is the carrier? If the company is saying don't go over 40 MPH that is a red flag. Comparing pulling a trailer with a ball hitch to the carrier is not an equal comparison. You will see a lot more torsional force applied to the tongue with the loaded up carrier. Especially on turns. You want to try to get the center of gravity of the load right over the tounge. That may not be possible so you are starting with an eccentric load. I dont think anyone can give you the right answer with out checking out the entire system. If driving on the high way is important to you, you may find you want to upgrade your trailer hitch, carrier or use a different vehicle. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts