Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna toot my own horn here...I rate myself a 7 on the 0 to 10 scale. I can lay blocks, do concrete flatwork and foundations, do all kinds of rough framing and finish carpentry, do roofing, build decks, install siding/doors/windows/plumbing/HVAC/ductwork/cabinets/flooring/carpeting etc, hang and finish drywall, rewire a house and redo main service, do advanced maintenance and repairs on cars and trucks and rebuild small engines, build a desktop computer, troubleshoot wireless networks, do any and all kinds of outdoor work and cut down trees and split firewood, install a woodburning stove, salvage a 100 year old barn, and I could go on and on but to end my bragging I am also a great cook and love to host dinner parties...yes, my girlfriend thinks I am amazingly talented.

Tell us the things YOU are good at doing....:D

And feel free to call me a BS artist if you want....:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think I'm a solid 5 BUT my track record is poor.. I usually cause more damage than anything else... At least I try! ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Gonna toot my own horn here...I rate myself a 7 on the 0 to 10 scale. I can lay blocks, do concrete flatwork and foundations, do all kinds of rough framing and finish carpentry, do roofing, build decks, install siding/doors/windows/plumbing/HVAC/ductwork/cabinets/flooring/carpeting etc, hang and finish drywall, rewire a house and redo main service, do advanced maintenance and repairs on cars and trucks and rebuild small engines, build a desktop computer, troubleshoot wireless networks, do any and all kinds of outdoor work and cut down trees and split firewood, install a woodburning stove, salvage a 100 year old barn, and I could go on and on but to end my bragging I am also a great cook and love to host dinner parties...yes, my girlfriend thinks I am amazingly talented.

Tell us the things YOU are good at doing....:D

And feel free to call me a BS artist if you want....:)
Well based on what you describe yourself as, I'd say I'm right there with you with being a 7. I do a majority of the things you mentioned, save for a few but also do a few other things as well.
It's how I was raised, to do get your hands dirty and do your own work. Be self reliant. Unfortunately, that's a trend that has been diminishing in our country...

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I'm good at nothin' :D

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
My strength in life is
Drinking peach moonshine. I do it, and I do it well. Yup,,,,,, that's about it for me.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
There are downsides to being handy.
Instead of kicking back watching a game on Saturday you are busy doing things that make your back ache. You have a hard time hiring things out. Things like finishing drywall take little time and effort for the professionals but you apply mud and then sand over and over again until it's right knowing you are saving money but wondering how much you are making (saving) on an hourly scale.
Friends and family always have something they need your help with which is great, but you let your own projects slip while doing so.
I've made a living fixing airplanes for over 25 years. Snow-blower modifications don't require tons of paperwork and regulatory oversight.

·
Registered
407 Posts
home repairs= 2
auto repairs=2+(was higher years ago when younger and simpler)
ingenuity/modifying= 4 on a good day
snow blower/mower repair= 5 maybe
high tec electronics.. or any electronics= 0 to maybe 1

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
home repairs= 2
auto repairs=2+(was higher years ago when younger and simpler)
ingenuity/modifying= 4 on a good day
snow blower/mower repair= 5 maybe
high tec electronics.. or any electronics= 0 to maybe 1
If Geno scores 4 or 5 on snow blowers and ingenuity. My score is negative.
Your Ariens is still my favorite of all time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
thanks..

Thanks dbert- new mod's almost completed with new pic's.. but is still very unpractical in the real world. but what fun is practicality?:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm Really good at listening to people that tell me how great they are. It makes me appreciate humble people so much more.
gibbs with the win!!!!
I'll let others judge how handy I am, with my ego I've learned that if I tell others just exactly what I think of myself I'll just lose friends.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm Really good at listening to people that tell me how great they are. It makes me appreciate humble people so much more.

So you are calling me a BS artist....? Well, it never fails to amaze me how people are gullible and lazy enough to pay someone else $50-100 an hour to do pi** poor and half-a** work when they could learn to do such things themselves. Heaven forbid they take the time away from watching tv and playing inane, stupid computer games !!!!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
"If the women don't find ya handsome they ought to find ya handy!" (Thanks Red)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Everyone has there own skills. Mine requires me to get my hands dirty. If I didn't do all of my own work, I couldn't afford to live on LI.
Sid

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think most people are better in one area than another. I know a guy who can build the most amazing homes from ground up.. even builds the cabinets- these are 300-500 dollar homes.. but he can't even take a head off a small engine?.. So everyone their own, but we all have things were better at than others and some don't even know what yet. I personally like the challenge of fixing my own stuff (to a degree that is)- I'd rather be tinkering in the garage than sitting in a bar swashing down drinks and talking smart- I think my wife likes that too. I don't think it is boasting.. I think the original poster just wants to see who does what good/fair/bad. My opinions of course.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
In 2008 I was 39 years old and had been a homeowner for 2 years.
In my life, up to that point, the only piece of "outdoor power equipment" (OPE) I had ever owned was one Craftsman push mower, which I had owned for two years and had not needed to do any work on at all, except for a yearly oil change...in 2008:

OPE maintenance skills - zero.
Knowledge about snowblowers, garden tractors and mowers. - zero.
General homeowner repair skills - zero.

In January 2009 I bought my 1971 Ariens, which started my Ariens webpage.
Then in 2011 I bought a 1964 Wheel Horse, which I now use as my primary mower..

The original Tecumseh engine on my Ariens has been the only troublesome area on the snowblower..the engine runs fine, but it wasnt always smooth..it had carb adjustment issues..So I read up on-line about how to adjust a carb..and decided to just "dig in" and turn some needle valves! ;) having never done it before..
it helped! a bit..but it became clear the carb needed to be taken apart and cleaned.
I hesitated for a few years! because I didnt want to mess it up! since it was my one and only snowblower, and I needed it to work! but after some more reading on this forum, and youtube videos, I finally just "went for it" and took the carb apart! cleaned it, installed a "carb kit"..put it back together, and it worked!! :) That day I posted on facebook: "I am no longer intimidated by carburetors" ;) which led to to some fun discussion with my FB friends..

My confidence has gradually increased, the more I work on things..
The "next step" for me is to do a full restoration on something..I would like to find a "project" tractor..a Cub Cadet "original" or another 1960's Wheel Horse tractor. I want to turn something like this:

into something like this!

(the first tractor is mine..the second one is *not* mine! ;) but its the same model, beautifully restored)

Im also considering doing an Ariens snowblower restore!

I also replaced a garbage disposal! didnt have any idea how to do it..watched some youtube videos, and just "went for it"..it worked fine!

No one is born knowing these things..Even a guy like Donyboy73 started out knowing nothing! and he is now a guru that everyone goes to for his wonderful videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73

So..just do it! :) its scary at first, but the more you do, the more skill you develop, and the easier it gets.

Today, only 6 years later, I would now rate myself:

OPE maintenance skills - 5.
Knowledge about snowblowers, garden tractors and mowers. - 7.
General homeowner repair skills - 4.

Scot

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I do what I can with the tools that I have. Pretty good at most things I try. Youtube is my ally.
Youtube can be a very good friend. An appliance service call in our area is pushimg $100. Washing machine stopped spinning out. $8.00 door switch and instruction on how to install and we're back in bidness. Dryer (natural gas) stopped heating installed $9.00 ignitor element. Back in bidness. Am I handy? Not all that sure but I get done what needs doing.Youtube is my friend.;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts