Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought my first 2 satge snow blower Troy-Bilt Srorm 2410 (no power steering). I tried it on my driveway and found that it is very hard to make a turn. It seems that two wheels are in one drive shaft. When I make a turn, one wheel has to scrape the gound. This is way harder than my old single stage snow blower to turn in my driveway. For those people who had used 2 stage snow blowers, is it easier to turn in a snow covered ground? Or is there a tip to make a turn for those type of 2 stage snow blowers? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for reply. This model has no spring clips holding on the wheel. I read the operation manual several times and found that it only tells how to move it forward and backward, nothing about how to turn.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
OK... I havent seen any before that did not have a clutch of some kind, or a way to unlock a wheel, but in real world use, I dont think it will be too bad. Things slide pretty well on a snow coverd surface, so it might take a little manhandleing, but I bet it will not be that bad. I keep my wheels locked all the time, and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I found another model that has a pin on each wheel to lock or unlock the wheel to the shaft with more $$. Hope it will not that hard to make turns on snowy ground.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OK... I haven't seen any before that did not have a clutch of some kind, or a way to unlock a wheel, but in real world use, I don't think it will be too bad. Things slide pretty well on a snow covered surface, so it might take a little manhandling, but I bet it will not be that bad. I keep my wheels locked all the time, and it works fine for me.
Thank you. I found another model that has a pin on each wheel to lock or unlock the wheel to the shaft with more $$. Hope it will not that hard to make turns on snowy ground.
My 30+ year old MTD Dayton 826 has the pins to let each wheel free-wheel and while I have tried it a few times, I preferred having both wheels driving. I even have the chains on all the time and have worn out one set of chains.
It take a little effort to maneuver, but once you have done it a few times it becomes pretty easy.
I do think it would be difficult for many women.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
2 stage blowers are hard to turn on a dry driveway, but like was said, when there's snow on the ground, it'll spin around much easier. I've got one with track drive. Talk about hard to turn on dry ground! Troy Bilt advertises that model as having all wheel drive, and it gets very high consumer reviews, so it sounds like you should be pretty happy with it. The "free wheeling" option, would make it easier to move around on dry ground, but not necessarily what you'd want when blowing snow.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
My 30+ year old MTD Dayton 826 has the pins to let each wheel free-wheel and while I have tried it a few times, I preferred having both wheels driving. I even have the chains on all the time and have worn out one set of chains.
It take a little effort to maneuver, but once you have done it a few times it becomes pretty easy.
I do think it would be difficult for many women.
Ya... I havent unlocked the wheels in YEARS!!! Wife has no problem with it. Frankly she likes using it more then the tractor mounted blower.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Ariens has the pin locks on both the wheels. I have tried it both ways and the traction is of course much better with both wheels locked. It doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with both locked, but my machine is on the smaller side, Model 920012, compact 22.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trigger steering is wonderful!
Even when your not using them under power, you can pull both triggers at the same time and freewheel anywhere you want. Great for maneuvering my CC 524SWE onto a rubber parking pad on my carpeted porch. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know if trigger steering can be added to a blower that didn't come with, but, that the same basic model does have it? I'm talking about a troy-bilt 2840 I recently bought. MTD makes this model for many brands. Some have the trigger steering and some don't. My hand grips are heated, and it looks like they have the bones of trigger steering attachments. Is there something in the gearing that would have to be changed too?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Just a guess, but you would probably need to swap out the axle then add the cables and triggers. You might need new tires too as I am not sure how the rims connect to the axles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Partstree.com would be the place to start looking, they have parts diagrams, part numbers & prices for the different models.
There are a lot of differences in the drive system though and I’m afraid it would be very expensive. But if you could find a used one with the parts you need and a blown engine or something…..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts