Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the weather here is starting to get up to 50, sometimes 60 on a normal basis and i think we are done for snow. So my question is, How warm is too late to run the engine so i can change the oil and how long does the engine need to run so that it is warm enough to drain out properly? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Yep, never too warm, really... should be fine any time.

For my own small engine oil changes I usually warm the engine to normal operating temperature, ie. engine crankcase should be good and hot to the touch. That way you can be pretty sure any solids or other goo in there is in solution and will drain with the oil.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent! Thanks for the prompt replies as always.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I do something a little bit un-orthodox:

I warm my engines up for a few minutes, and then drain them for an extended period of time . . . . maybe 15 minutes or longer.

Then I put the plug back in and I pour in a ¼ to a ½ cup of straight gasoline into the crankcase and sloosh it around for a minute or so, back and forth, and side to side; for a longer period of time with little engines, short with big heavy rigs.

Then I pull the the plug again and drain all of the contaminated gas out by quickly tilting the machine towards the drain. It's pretty amazing how much additional sludge and bits of debris I manage to remove with this technique. Then I proceed with the replacement of filters and the new oil.

I have done this on about 10 miscellaneous lawn and garden engines including the SnowBlower . . . . as well as my Car and Truck, for well over 10 years. No explosions, blown gaskets or heads so far !

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Vermont007, that's an interesting approach. I've never tried that.

If I gave it a shot some day, I might be tempted to use 2-stroke gas, just for the slight peace of mind that I wasn't washing *all* the oil off of things. I know it probably wouldn't make the slightest difference, but I might feel better. I do realize that you refill the oil before running it again

I don't think things get too warm to run a blower. Just remember that there is no air filter, because they are typically used in dust-free environments. So just don't run the snowblower while you're also mowing your yard during dusty conditions

·
Registered
260 Posts
I never warm the engine up, I just walk away and let drip dry, then come back when there's no dripping, close her up and refill.
You can do your engines a favor be letting them run 5minutes before a oil change. Running the engine gets the oil warm and stirred up, this picks up a lot of the contaminates that are usually in the oil when its running but when stopped usually settle to the bottom of the crankcase. But toeasch their own way

·
Registered
146 Posts
Too late?

It's almost never to late to take care of your equipment. You know unless you sent some rotating object thru your engine block. That may be a tad late.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts