Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This guy on craigslist wants $200 or best offer. He said it only starts with starter ether and needs carb work. What do you think is a decent offer?

Its green and yellow and otherwise looks ok.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hello,

This guy on craigslist wants $200 or best offer. He said it only starts with starter ether and needs carb work. What do you think is a decent offer?

You should provide the link so we can see it as well for commenting.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Hello,

Welcome to the forum.
Please provide the link so we can check it out.
Green and yellow. Could be a'John Deere. Could be an older Yardman ... Could be a hand painted pile of junk.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
And ether is AWFUL to run in a small engine. Should spray gasoline through it.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $100 for something that didn't run. Even that is chancing it since you can't fully test everything.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
he should pay you to come haul it away, save your $200 for something better

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got a fully working Toro 826 from a local guy who lives right near my place. The snowblower in the ad looks pretty shot and poorly kept, plus the description suggests just as much. My 1975-1977 Toro has less rust on it than that thing.

On a side note, if the guy knows it only starts on ether, he must have some in-depth knowledge about small engines (and the tricks to make them tick). If he'd rather sell it than fix it, then there must be something seriously wrong with it. I'd stay away and wait for a better deal...

·
Registered
465 Posts
If it will run on ether than absolute worst case scenario it will need a carb. Generally a cleaning and a carb kit will with fix them though.

That said it's a cheaply built MTD machine, I wouldn't pay much for it. They have a horrible friction disc setup in them, tiny friction wheel and they tend to get wet and slip all the time. Auger gearbox is really undersized on them too and the bucket is very flimsy. I'd pass unless it was free or very close to free.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
MTD 8hp-10hp usable runners here go for $150-$250 all day long. The fix it up guys in my area would pay $25-$50.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts