Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This lady contacted me on Facebook and wants to know how much I would charge to repair her snowblower. It's a John Deere tractor trs27. I checked it out it needs new belts and needs a new shear pin and a drive disk. What should the charges be? Of course, while I have it I would probably do a kind of overall check up.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
whats your time and shop space worth to you ? dont forget to add in any travel time for parts....and shop supplies. all those squirts of wd are costing you .

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I would estimate 150 plus parts for the work mentioned. That's including pick up and delivery if there close by.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
$50 parts, $200-$250 for labor, complete tuneup plus this stuff $300 plus parts.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
you have to do a full service or else if anything else goes wrong when she uses it it will come back to bite you.

did you already inspect the whole machine? if the belts and disk need replaced it probably needs much more other than common service issues. scraper bar? shoes? cables frayed? rust and corrosion? any cracks in tires or tracks? etc etc.

how much is this machine worth in good running condition? is a $300-400 repair bill warrant these repairs.

just my 2 cents.

( women are more trouble than men when it comes to repairing their blowers ) I didn't say that....don't know where that came from.......honest.

side note; always bid high . 20% more than you think. when you do the repairs and come in 20 % less than your quote , they will be happy.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. I was thinking something like $75.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
20 min for the belts
5 min for the shear pin
30 min for the drive disk
15 extra min for unforseen issues
parts 60 bucks tops
the machine is not very good quality worth 400 mint

300 labor i would call that a scam myself

100 bucks labor at most

tell her to buy a new machine

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
20 min for the belts
5 min for the shear pin
30 min for the drive disk
15 extra min for unforseen issues
parts 60 bucks tops
the machine is not very good quality worth 400 mint

300 labor i would call that a scam myself

100 bucks labor at most

tell her to buy a new machine
Yeh. Not crazy about Murray/Deere stuff but her buying a different machine isn't going to happen. IF..... I do do these repairs I am going to make it very clear to her that I am not responsible for anything else going wrong. I already told her that this was one of the machines that helped put Deere out of the homeowner snowblower business. It did start right up and ran well. I tried the electric starter and it operates too. Oil is clean. Was changed last year and only was run once.
If I do it I will probably charge her 80-100 bucks.
I just thought of something. I know where she ordinarily takes it for service. I'll call them and tell them what kind of machine and ask for estimate on parts/labor and go from there.

Reactions: evh

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wow. I was thinking something like $75.

For an hour or so of TLC you are probably being realistic. It sounds like you are not a bona-fide shop. To me she's hiring a handyman to tinker, there is no warranty, it's a best effort type of deal. Your not promising that anything will last forever or even a storm.

The other side of the knife is that should something bad happen with the machine and you touched it you could be on the hook and lacking liability coverage you could be in a bad spot.

Sometimes reality stinks.

Pete

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2 Posts
Assuming you are doing this basically for fun then maybe100 labor plus parts. Check the oil and grease it up while you are at it and everybody should be happy.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Banned
318 Posts
That whole machine isn't worth $150.
You have to decide how much you want to make an hour. You should not base your fee on how much a machine is worth. It may be worth it to the customer to spend 300 to have the machine running right. It would cost much more then that to buy new.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you feel your time is worth less or it's a hobby, charge less. It's still a fair price at $300 if you are picking up and dropping off. Here's another price list list

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've done two repairs this fall for acquaintances, people I used to work with for about 15 years each. "Snowblower won't start" kinda deal. Carb cleaning and kits, little bit of grease/lube here and there, checked everything out. Maybe put 4 "easy" hours in each. I took my time, had to research on the internet the machines for I didn't know them at all (an 80's Ariens and an early 00's Craftsman...neither anything fancy).

I'm not currently employed at the time and both were local (longest round trip was 30 miles) and they heard from another ex co-worker I dabbled in stuff like this. I did the work at their houses.

Both machines, I told the owners that I'm not in the repair business so to speak, but "I can surely try what I do know how to do to get them running" kinda thing. I'll check them out, see if I can figure out the issues, get them running as cheap as possible.

Carb kits were roughly $20 each + a little bit of grease/lube/carb cleaner + maybe 50 total miles were my costs. I charged both people $80. Both machines operate a lot better, start on the first pull, both owners very happy.

I've done "lawn mower won't start" type work via word of mouth for years now when I have the time, maybe 5 machines a year. I usually know every person I help out. I'm also a sort of computer tech/TV "I know a guy" type too. Fixed up quite a few home networks, help deciding "is my computer dead or can it be fixed" things, helping install TV's/PC's/stereos/wireless networks etc. I recently helped a guy install a rooftop antenna and wiring it whole house using the prior DirecTV coax/dish mount, then integrating streaming PVR/ATSC set top boxes into every room - then getting everything up and running as it should.

I charged him $100 for a day's work and they fed me pizza and beer when it was finished. Might have been $300 through a business - maybe more actually. Not many old fashioned mom and pop TV installers out there any more.

I don't charge people much. I like helping people out and if I have spare time, I help them if I can. And that's how I look at stuff like this. Is this a business, or are you simply "volunteering for some cash" to help someone you can help?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts