Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
That is an "870" model. The owners manuals are dated/printed August 1990, so it was introduced around August of 1990.
The machine could be manufactured after that date, but that was when it was first introduced by Simplicity.
Your machine was equipped with a Tecumseh 8 h.p. engine, the HMSK80, Horizontal shaft Medium chassis "Snow King" 8 horsepower.
Your machine looks to be well taken care of for its age, probably wasn't used much or hard and kept indoors.
They were well built machines back in their day, built heavy duty.
That is one of the later Tecumseh "L" head/flat head engines before they went to overhead valve, then Tecumseh went out of business and was sold to/ taken over by a foreign company to be made in China under the "Snow King" name by LCT.
Simplicity wont offer much information on the engine because Simplicity is owned by Briggs & Stratton, a major competitor engine manufacturer to Tecumseh, but it was manufactured before Briggs took over Simplicity, that was when they were owned by Allis Chalmers, so at that time they could have a lot of different manufacturers engines, some Briggs, others Tecumseh, Kohler, Onan, Kawasaki, Lombardini diesel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info guys, looks like I came to the right place. Knowing where this machine came from I'm certain it was kept indoors and most likely in a heated area. I'm pretty sure it was very rarely even used as the chute would suggest, this is all original paint and NO touch ups!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the reasons given for getting rid of it was there was "Something wrong in the gearbox" I would have to agree :)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
That is the machine I want to prompt me to get rid of my others. My favorite. This is the Professional line from Simplicity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the machine I want to prompt me to get rid of my others. My favorite. This is the Professional line from Simplicity.
Definitely heavy duty, it was "used" in a commercial setting. Truth be told I actually rescued it from a dumpster! Tires are dry rotted but other than that in mint shape, starts in one pull and purrs like a kitten.

·
Registered
961 Posts
That was a Standard series model back in its time.
The new models out today it is considered a "Professional" series.
Notice the heavy duty handlebars used back then on their Standard equipment. Now it is only used on the Professional models.
The "Mouse nest" underneath was a very common problem that came with seasonal storage that had to be cleaned out or you could risk some damage from the critters carrying things up there to build their beds with.
Don't forget to lube the drive chain with good quality motorcycle chain lube that will stick fast to the chain and check the wheel axle bushings/bearings.
Don't just put motor oil on the chain because it can fling off and end up on the friction drive plate (Metal plate), that will cause the friction driven disc (Rubber tire) to slip.
Use a little bit of the chain lube to grease the shaft that the friction disc slides on so it slides/shifts easier.
Those older Simple-City machines were built fairly well.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
the old near never ending rodent nest issue, mouse piss is almost like acid clean it up good, lube that chain, make sure to clean and lightly lube the shaft the friction disc rides on so to have all the ground speeds,
other wise a very nice find .

·
Registered
402 Posts
One of the reasons given for getting rid of it was there was "Something wrong in the gearbox" I would have to agree
That isn't standard equipment?

Reactions: captchas

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great find. A former colleague has one and absolutely loves it.

Reactions: Old Iron
1 - 13 of 13 Posts