Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using my 924108 today for the first time since fixing everything, again, and I got the bucket stuck on a gas shutoff in the driveway apron (the little round thing with a lid to access the shutoff) and I noticed it didn't spin it's tires. It tried, kind of, but not quite enough muscle there.

Do I need to adjust the friction wheel or is this typical? I have snow hog tires and chains on.

It seems to do fine when I'm not stuck on a small piece of cast iron in a huge hunk of concrete. :p

My guess is, it should have more than enough muscle to spin the tires under those conditions chains or not. I adjusted it per the service manual when i got everything running after it sat for years, but since using it several times I haven't touched it.

Not really related, but the gas shutoff hasn't been used in who knows how many years but I suspect that line was for gas lighting in the 1800s.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
My 1024 will spin its tires & chains during use in snow. I'm not sure about on dry pavement. But I'd say it sounds like it's slipping more easily than it should be. I can't hold mine back when I engage the drive. But then again, no one is going to mistake me for The Rock.

Things to check:
- Condition of the rubber friction disk. Is it worn/old/cracked? Any grease/oil on it? I'd clean the wheel with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol.
- Surface of the metal wheel it rides against. Any grease/oil on it? Clean the wheel thoroughly. Be careful of getting cleaner on the rubber wheel, depending on how aggressive your cleaner is (eg- if using brake cleaner, only get it on the metal wheel).
- Adjustment of the transmission's clutch tension. Maybe it's also too loose. Adjust per the service manual.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I don't know but maybe that it is a good thing?:p
You see the houses blowing up all over Jersey recently?
You bust the line and go Ka BOOM?!:eek:

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Do all the gears behave similarly?

If the gear-selector is adjusted wrong, then 1st-gear might have the rubber friction disk almost lined up with the center of the spinning metal disk. So the rubber friction wheel would just kind of get ground away, by contacting at the center of rotation of the metal disk.

I'd add checking/adjusting the gear-selector to the list of things to check. Especially if 1st slips easily, but 2nd is stronger.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
On mine the wheels will spin before the disc slips. Might need to adjust the tension or do some cleaning of the drive place. Have you inspected the friction disc to see if maybe it's glazed ??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just re-adjusted the friction disc.

It was a tad loose, I guess after sitting and then putting it back into use it had some rapid wear until it got down to some good rubber?

We'll see how it goes next year. If need be, I'll buy a new friction disc. After all, it's not like it's a huge fortune to fix like a Honda. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't be dissin' those Honda guys, they get downright ugly defending their stuff :p

Maybe it's time we get equally ugly, although you can see where they're coming from.

When you spend 2 to 3 times as much money on something, you want it to be that much better. Not just, slightly better. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts