Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

How do you figure out the carburetor part number for an older Ariens?
I have model 924046 (ST524) and looking to either clean the carb or if not successful replace the whole carb.

If I do the cleaning, I assume I still need new gaskets and similar items.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You might be able to get away with cleaning it, but not replacing gaskets. It depends on how the gaskets do while disassembling the carb. It's better to replace them, but you might get lucky. If it's running now, I wouldn't take it apart the day before a big storm, in case gaskets fall apart, and leave you stuck.

Your specific engine model # and serial number may be the best starting point for figuring out parts. Looking up that model # may give you a carburetor part #. On a previous Tecumseh engine of mine, the full model info that I found was HMSK80 155316S (D) 3159D, for example.

But looking on Amazon for "ST524 carb" did bring up some listings, including this one, for instance:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Carburetor-Tecumseh-OH195SA-Snowblower/dp/B076ZKVMG6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8

A lot of people have had success with the aftermarket carbs. They're pretty cheap (others are still under $20, and sometimes include a primer bulb, fuel shutoff, spark plug, etc), and you could keep your original carb on the shelf, maybe cleaning it to have a spare ready to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum!

You might be able to get away with cleaning it, but not replacing gaskets. It depends on how the gaskets do while disassembling the carb. It's better to replace them, but you might get lucky. If it's running now, I wouldn't take it apart the day before a big storm, in case gaskets fall apart, and leave you stuck.

Your specific engine model # and serial number may be the best starting point for figuring out parts. Looking up that model # may give you a carburetor part #. On a previous Tecumseh engine of mine, the full model info that I found was HMSK80 155316S (D) 3159D, for example.

A lot of people have had success with the aftermarket carbs. They're pretty cheap (others are still under $20, and sometimes include a primer bulb, fuel shutoff, spark plug, etc), and you could keep your original carb on the shelf, maybe cleaning it to have a spare ready to go.
Thanks for the post!
I had looked at similar aftermarket carbs, but, mine does have a vertical lever for the choke.

I think I will wait till winter is over and work on it once the weather warms up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
may help if you include your location.
db130, thanks for the feedback.
I am thinking of giving it one more shot of fixing it once the winter is out.
Maybe, it will be a good intro into small engines for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts