Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I see that key has been skewed in place .... you have to get that flywheel/pulley off first by a puller ... either a slap or screw type puller ... once off, get a new key to replace that defective one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks, what type of puller do you guys think works best, I'll have to get one.
That's a good question. Five holes in the pulley flanges doesnt match well with any common puller jaw combos. Pulling on the OD of the pulley would likely dish it.
You could drill new holes into the hub face for two or three puller rods.
For simple cases I usually pry upward at the pulley shaft OD to lift it off of its thrust support in the auger gearcase, while repeatedly hammering downward on a bolt fully inserted in the end of the shaft.
The keyway setscrew must also be backed off of course.
Good luck and do report back please.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I like to use or make a backing plate when pulling against anything cast, breakable, or bendable and pull against the backing plate.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
As most of us here have done, sometimes in certain situations, you have to try different ways to achieve a final goal depending on the circumstances.

The knowledge obtained throughout the years gives you a personal skill set you can apply in many different scenarios.

You will pick up and retain many such things along the way..... also collecting tools that you will use rarely, but indeed handy when you need them.

BTW, did you get the key?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Collecting tools that you will use rarely..

Can soneone please tell me why I have many copies of "once in a lifetime" tools,,,, but no longer have some basic ones?!
Where did all.my portable drills go?
Why do I have specialized swimming pool gear?
10mm......

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recall an old beater POS blower I was trying to get the shaft thru the bearing and it would not move , heated , tried to be gentle but .............then I lose it!!!!!!! grab my 32 oz. ball peen and just start wailing on it....still not moving so I grab my grinder with a cutting blade and tear into the side of the bearing so it would break..........still wasn't moving so I cut right thru the bearing and a few good wacks and it was thru . Of course the shaft was totalled but I felt good , wasn't going to let that piece of crap beat me .
Went for scrap.....ever since I've been the champ!!:cool:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
what type of puller
I have this $15 set from Harbor Freight; they'll do most jobs where a screw-in puller isn't required. Your local Canada supplier will have an equivalent.
Harbor Freight has the $16 screw-in puller set, too:
And for the more extreme jobs, the slide hammer:

Reactions: Eyeboltman

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I have a Snap-on bar puller. Incredibly strong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a good question. Five holes in the pulley flanges doesnt match well with any common puller jaw combos.
Correct but depending on how tight it is there is a chance a three leg jaw puller might work.

Actually if I was working on that I might try turning the pulley in the direction to get the key ways lined up before pulling. Knowing where and with what to smack it is where skill would come in to play.

I might try slipping the head of a ball peen hammer through the spoke and us another hammer to smack it like you were trying to drive the handle out of the head of ballpeen hammer, if you can picture what I'm trying to describe!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hubcap

One more idea, if you have a drill and 3/8-16 tap I would consider drilling two holes where the red circles I put in the picture are located. Drill them with a 5/16 drill and then tap the holes for a 3/8-16 bolt and use a simple T-bar puller. Nice thing about doing that the next time, yes there will be a next time, you need to remove the pulley the puller holes will be waiting for you!

I'm just guessing that the hole in the center of the shaft is for a bolt that holds a retaining washer to keep the pulley in place. If so use something to protect the end of the shaft when using the T-bar puller.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Your local Canada supplier will have an equivalent.
How did you know he was from Canada?

AutoZone auto parts stores have a tool loan program. You pick the tool you need, give them a deposit for the value of the tool, and when you bring the tool back you get your deposit back. Every penny - last time I borrowed a big slide hammer puller.

I've seen a puller that looked like a steel wheel, with arms similar to those in @tabora's link. However, the arms slid around the perimeter of the rim of that wheel (which was maybe 4 or 5" in diameter). A big bolt in the center of the wheel bears on the shaft to push against it while those arms grab your gear/blower wheel wherever you set them.

I admit I last saw one of those pullers many years ago, and have not seen any like that since.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts