Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weld on my impeller broke, how do you remove it?
replacements are no longer available, but i've been told
by the dealer, that a top quality shop can weld and balance
it. I have been unable to find any info on removal,

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
The weld on my impeller broke, how do you remove it?
replacements are no longer available, but i've been told
by the dealer, that a top quality shop can weld and balance
it. I have been unable to find any info on removal,
You want to remove impeller? on an 80 you have to remove bucket first. not too difficult.

have to remove the chute adjuster from bucket end first. loosen 12mm nut and pull away.
remove belt cover
remove 10 bolts that hold bucket into engine bed
pull bucket off
remove bolt from auger pulley wheel on backside of bucket
remove 4 bolts on each side of bucket that holds auger assembly
pull out whole assembly
remove impeller shear pin
then you can remove impeller from shaft

sounds more complicated than it is.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thank you, I'll give it a try. I kinda thought that's what I had to do.
A welding bead is not going to make it out of balance like crazy, especially if it is closed to the center. It is 13.5" diameter vs. 21.5" diameter on lawnmowers. Also, they rotate at different rpm. And, to be honest, I don't think they balanced it at the factory. Not for snowblowers.

I welded the tips of my impeller blades without balanced it and it is working just fine. Only time will tell.

I would help you weld it, but I don't want to give my address to strangers on the Internet, so you should take it to a shop. You want to do it that route, because honda parts are very expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the bolt on the auger pulley regular thread? I'm having a lot of resistance, and I don't want to strip anything?

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
is the bolt on the auger pulley regular thread? I'm having a lot of resistance, and I don't want to strip anything?
yes. is it the original bolt? sounds damaged if you are getting resistance. i use a thread chaser tool for damaged spark plug threads. not sure if they make that size chaser. think it is M8 x 1.25 pitch. maybe @tabora knows.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Im working on hs70 with a welded impeller pulley.
Yeah, you've got a bigger problem... Looks like you cut off the shaft behind the pulley, so the shaft is going to be too short. I think you're going to need to weld more shaft on there and drill/tap it, or replace the shaft.

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
seems like he is gonna have to re-tap and maybe use a longer bolt. i have a couple old 80's that the previous owner also welded the pulley. why do they do this?

that shaft is hard metal. may need a machine shop to re-tap. not sure. on a HS70 that shaft is part of the auger gearbox assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm at wits end, I can not find a way to keep the impeller shaft from spinning
as I try to loosen the nut.
Any suggestions, it's not like winter here in Maine is
around the corner, I'd like to check over everything while it's apart.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm at wits end, I can not find a way to keep the impeller shaft from spinning
as I try to loosen the nut.
Any suggestions, it's not like winter here in Maine is
around the corner, I'd like to check over everything while it's apart.
Stick a piece of wood down through the chute so it jams the impeller while you loosen the bolt (after a liberal application of PB Blaster or equivalent).
If the broken impeller weld doesn't allow for this, use a large pair of vise grips on the impeller shaft so that the handles lock up against the auger spiral.
Where are you located? I'm in Cape Elizabeth or Waterford or Vinalhaven, depending on the day...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tabora, I tried the vise grips, (mine may be to small), I'll try to borrow a larger pair
tomorrow from a mechanic friend. I'm in Saco by the way.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Tabora, I tried the vise grips, (mine may be to small), I'll try to borrow a larger pair
tomorrow from a mechanic friend. I'm in Saco by the way.
You may want to hit the shaft with a torch as well to expand it a bit and break it free of the bolt. If you haven't freed it by next week and want some help, let me know... I'm away over the weekend at the island.

I have an HS80K1TAS chassis that I'm parting out this fall, so there's always a fall-back position, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may want to hit the shaft with a torch as well to expand it a bit and break it free of the bolt. If you haven't freed it by next week and want some help, let me know... I'm away over the weekend at the island.

I have an HS80K1TAS chassis that I'm parting out this fall, so there's always a fall-back position, too.
thanks, I'll keep that in mind

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eureka I've done it! My mechanic lent me an impact wrench, hooked it to my compressor, and
pfft pfft and off. Just dropped the impeller off at the fabricator's, any suggestions for things to do
while I've got things apart, besides new belts?

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
replace impeller bearing , I don't know about anyone else but I use lock-tite on the studs for the impeller bearing holder. have had them work there way off from vibration . inspect and repack side bearings. clean shafts . make sure impeller fans are true or straight. I usually find at least one that is bent.

with bucket off check tensioner arm , idler wheels , auger brake, springs, lube cables by pulling boots off at top and spraying cable lube in and work the cables.

check auger gearbox oil. should be right up to plug hole level.

use anti-seize grease on all the bucket bolts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
where's the best place to shop for new belts?
same for impeller bearing?
And a big shoutout to all of you, "You folks are fantastic"..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts