Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Honda HS55 was losing power. It ran but just not cleaning up snow as good as before. I noticed a leak from the carburetor. I did not know if that was the problem. I replaced it anyway. But that seemed to be even worse with the new carburetor. Because it was the end of the snow season, I did not have a good chance to test out the machine after the carburetor replacement. It is now summer and I have lots of time to work on it before the next snow. I am not familiar with engines. I am just a handy man who do mind trying to fix anything and learn things during the process.
Can anyone suggest a list of things that I should check for this kind of problem ? Also is there anyway to test it out without the snow ?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Compression. Leak-down.
First check oil. Then carb and governor. Fuel line, primer line if you have one. Then check belts. Make sure things run freely, do this safely.
Check rpms.
Slock up the chute and such.
New spark plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Compression. Leak-down.
First check oil. Then carb and governor. Fuel line, primer line if you have one. Then check belts. Make sure things run freely, do this safely.
Check rpms.
Slock up the chute and such.
New spark plug.
Thanks, will do as suggested. I understand that compression or leak can definitely cause power lost. But if it was compression, then replacing the carburetor should not cause further reduction in power. For my learning purpose, can you explain why a new carburetor can made it worse ?

·
Premium GOT Member
9,949 Posts
Compression /leak down tests can tell a lot. compression test on a Honda is really inconclusive because the cam has a compression release that kicks off at 600 rpm. leakdown test will tell you more. identify head gasket issues, valves, rings , etc. This machine was built around 1985.......may be tired.

what is your fast throttle rpms? on a 55 it should be around 3700 give or take 150

was the replaced carb an OEM Honda carb or a cheap china clone?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I noticed a leak from the carburetor. I did not know if that was the problem. I replaced it anyway. But that seemed to be even worse with the new carburetor.
If it wasn't an OEM Honda carb, it was a downgrade...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts