Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just picked up an HS621 and am having some trouble getting it running. I've taken the carb off twice now and ran a whole can of carb cleaner through it. Looks to be totally clear, but it will only run with the choke on. I've gotten it to run for short bursts with the choke off but it surges hard backfires and then normally dies out.

I've drained out all the old gas and replaced it with new gas with stabilizer added. I've cleaned out the carb twice, changed the spark plug, put on a new drive belt, have new rubber for the auger and blade on the way, and changed the oil.

What else should I be checking?? Should I look into a knock off carb replacement or spend the money on a Honda carb? Should I replace the fuel lines? I don't have much experience on small engines so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

·
Registered
871 Posts
its running lean. u gotta make sure the main jet is clear, use small wire to get into all the small holes with carb cleaner.
took me a few times to figure it out. if carbs been neglected it needs more attention then just spraying carb cleaner into it.
or u got a vacuum intake leak, spraying carb cleaner along the intake path while engine is running will give u an answer.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just went through same thing with my 621, needed a little choke to stay running. I bought the Honda oem carb from boats.net for $45.59. runs perfect now, I didn't even want to bother trying to clean it. Just make sure you take pictures as your taking it apart. And get new gaskets.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just went through same thing with my 621, needed a little choke to stay running. I bought the Honda oem carb from boats.net for $45.59. runs perfect now, I didn't even want to bother trying to clean it. Just make sure you take pictures as your taking it apart. And get new gaskets.
+1 Buy a new Honda OEM carb with twist spout fuel drain (not the cheap knock-off with bolt drain) and replace. Then take your old carb, pull the main jet and clean the tube holes with a wire. Probably very tiny piece of crud or varnish in one of the holes. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, have the old carb dipped once or twice for a final cleaning. Then you can either keep the old carb as a back-up or sell on Ebay for $25 - $30.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright,

New season, same old problem.

Last season, i bought the OEM carb and swapped them out. Ran well for the season.

Started her up this season and got the same surging problem, dieing off choke. Got cheap and bought a knock off carb, just swapped it and still same problem. Starts right up on choke, starts surging at half choke and dies with the choke off.

I'm using fuel from my mower with stahbil in it, probably a few months old....would that be an issue? it smells fine. Should i replace the fuel line?

What else can I check on this guy before I need to drag this thing to a small engine repair show with my tail between my legs....

Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I would try fuel lines first. Also clean the carb and rinse the fuel tank and let it all dry out.

Might be an air leak. Check gaskets and make sure everything was put in the correct orientation. Possible valve adjustment or if it's an ohc engine. It could have jumped timing.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Alright,

New season, same old problem.

Last season, i bought the OEM carb and swapped them out. Ran well for the season.

Started her up this season and got the same surging problem, dieing off choke. Got cheap and bought a knock off carb, just swapped it and still same problem. Starts right up on choke, starts surging at half choke and dies with the choke off.

I'm using fuel from my mower with stahbil in it, probably a few months old....would that be an issue? it smells fine. Should i replace the fuel line?

What else can I check on this guy before I need to drag this thing to a small engine repair show with my tail between my legs....

Thanks in advance,

Scott
That's pretty odd.

#1 Have you made sure that gas is getting to the carb from the tank line? I had something like this before it was something in the tank blocking fuel from filling up the bowl fast enough.

#2 the fuel shut off make sure when you are turning from off to on fuel is coming out the other end.

If not either of those ? I'm stumped it's a lean condition for sure. And I'f you said it ran well for a season that doesnt seem like an air leak.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts