Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fine folks,
As mentioned in a prior post i said that my new to me thrower is rather loud and i asked about muffler options. I hopefully have attached a correctly sized pic to help with context.
To me it looks like an angry mini hulk punched his way out of the muffler cover...the edges appear ripped/forced open. Two questions: 1) is there supposed to be an opening here? 2) if no, how bad is this?
The thrower runs great, just loud.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks - i assumed that the jagged edged hole wasn't normal, but wasn't clear if there was supposed to be a hole there at all - it appears that the shroud/heat shield would be an extra part as well.
I don't seem to be able to find a match on Amazon (well, the ones i do find don't specify HS724 model, but reference a few others that I think are generators? and smaller hp engines). Thanks for the link, but I don't have an ebay account and don't want to figure that out just now.

the rest of the snowthrower is in good shape, that muffler/shield is a bit tired.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Thanks folks - i assumed that the jagged edged hole wasn't normal, but wasn't clear if there was supposed to be a hole there at all - it appears that the shroud/heat shield would be an extra part as well.
I don't seem to be able to find a match on Amazon (well, the ones i do find don't specify HS724 model, but reference a few others that I think are generators? and smaller hp engines). Thanks for the link, but I don't have an ebay account and don't want to figure that out just now.

the rest of the snowthrower is in good shape, that muffler/shield is a bit tired.

Thanks for the replies.
no, that hole is not supposed to be there. i bought one of those aftermarket honda mufflers and it was loud. practically worthless. you get what you pay for I guess. maybe the one listed above from another member is better.

otherwise get a OEM muffler from boats.net or from a donor junk machine . close to $100 complete even from boats.

i'd try a better quality after market for 20-30 bucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks - that is good to know on the volume of the aftermarket ones - maybe there is a reason they are priced around 15 bucks.

I had looked up the oem prices - found one on amazon for about 59 bucks - but i'm guessing i'd need/want the other parts too- if replacing one rusty/worn part it is highly likely that i'll end up needing to replace another on the assembly.

It is loud enough that i don't want to use it after it gets too dark as it will keep neighbors awake - my son was less than thrilled when i was using it during one of our storms. I had to wear hearing protection that I use at the range - even then it wasn't all that quiet - but i was able to not have a headache.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Maybe it would be possible to remove the heat shield and use pop rivets or sheet metal screws to attach a TEMPORARY patch with sheet metal to the muffler????

Reactions: jrom and orangputeh

·
Registered
278 Posts
My initial idea but I think that is just a shield.

Have to pull that, fix the muffler under it or the blast goes sideways and maybe into areas you don't want.

Still might be possible to pull it and patch the muffler under it - worth a look and or a try. The whole thing may be suspect as well and still need replacement.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Get yourself an original (not aftermarket) replacement muffler. Also, if you're looking for a really nice job, have the hole in the shield welded up, ground smooth and have it powdercoated the same color as original. :thumbsup:

Claude.:biggrin:

·
Registered
233 Posts
thanks - that is good to know on the volume of the aftermarket ones - maybe there is a reason they are priced around 15 bucks.

I had looked up the oem prices - found one on amazon for about 59 bucks - but i'm guessing i'd need/want the other parts too- if replacing one rusty/worn part it is highly likely that i'll end up needing to replace another on the assembly.

It is loud enough that i don't want to use it after it gets too dark as it will keep neighbors awake - my son was less than thrilled when i was using it during one of our storms. I had to wear hearing protection that I use at the range - even then it wasn't all that quiet - but i was able to not have a headache.

I pretty much always wear earplugs if the machine is loud or not. Makes it much more peaceful and zen.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
personally i wouldn't care whether the muffler is stock or aftermarket. if that is truely a hole in the muffler you want to get it replaced or patched asap so no water can get in there and possibly work its way into the engine and cause serious damage.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Use an OEM HSS724 muffler. MUCH less expensive!

MUFFLER (ARRESTER) 18310-Z4V-801 $13.37
PROTECTOR, MUFFLER 18320-Z4V-000 $6.69
GASKET, MUFFLER 18381-Z0T-801 $2.82

After a bit of digging around on parts fiches and comparing to newer models, I've test fit these on my HS624K1 and they bolt up and function perfectly.

18310-Z4V-801 - Muffler comp* (arrester type)
18320-ZV4-000 - Protector comp (shield)
18381-ZH8-801 - gasket (replace it!!!)

These are actually new part numbers for the HSS724 (metal shield type, not the plastic protector) but running part numbers, I found they've come down in price and are almost a third of MSRP for the original parts for my blower.

*notes:

These mufflers have the metal bracket welded to the bottom that are optional on some models of HS with the small GX engines. The part it replaced was 18310-ZE1-821.

These part numbers are only for the 6 and 7 HP variants. If you have a larger (8HP+) they use a different muffler style.

This muffler is larger than the original, so you must purchase the shield to fit this muffler, as well as new self tapping screws (90050-ZE1-000) and spark arrestor if equipped. I didn't bother with the arrestor.

They are a Thai-made part instead of the Japanese made original.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tabora - thanks for those part #'s - those are a fraction of the price for the HS724 (those listed are from HSS724)
It would appear i'd need all new parts Muffler, Protector, Spark Arrester (as I'm fairly sure that the one i have won't come out willingly) - that would also require new screws and probably the bolts to hold it on. Interesting that there is such a price diff between the models.

The screws holding the shield on are quite stuck for now, i was going to remove it to take a pic of the muffler and why there is a hole through the center of it - it looks smooth like it was supposed to be there.

Does anybody know why the one muffler (HSS724) reads as "MUFFLER (ARRESTER)" while the one for the HS724 reads "MUFFLER (SILENT)" - is the one for the HS724 quieter? (Which may justify the almost 4.5x cost $59.84 vs. $13.37?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get yourself an original (not aftermarket) replacement muffler. Also, if you're looking for a really nice job, have the hole in the shield welded up, ground smooth and have it powdercoated the same color as original. :thumbsup:

Claude.:biggrin:
I don't know how to weld - but even if i did, i believe the metal is thin enough that it wouldn't weld up all that nicely. It look pretty thing where it i ripped. I'm likely going to the replacement approach.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
usually if the metal is too thin you got to braze it but the torch would destroy any metal that is too thin to glow red. plus patching up the muffler would likey not have lasted long. it would have likely just continued rusting from the inside out. cheaper to just replace it.

as far as getting the screws out goes run the engine for 5-10 minutes then try removing the screws from the heat shield.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as far as getting the screws out goes run the engine for 5-10 minutes then try removing the screws from the heat shield.
Good idea - i'll hopefully remember that next time i fire it up. I'll assume that i'll need to do that when i replace the whole muffler too - those don't look like they are too eager to come loose without a fight.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It would appear i'd need all new parts Muffler, Protector, Spark Arrester (as I'm fairly sure that the one i have won't come out willingly)
You shouldn't need a spark arrester on a snowblower. Not much loose/dry tinder around when you'll be using it! And I'd just purchase S/S screws/bolts locally.
...is the one for the HS724 quieter? (Which may justify the almost 4.5x cost $59.84 vs. $13.37?)
Should actually be quieter... It's larger than the old HS one. The HSS muffler is not made in Japan, but in Thailand where all the GX engines for US manufacturing are made.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Tabora - thanks for those part #'s - those are a fraction of the price for the HS724 (those listed are from HSS724)
It would appear i'd need all new parts Muffler, Protector, Spark Arrester (as I'm fairly sure that the one i have won't come out willingly) - that would also require new screws and probably the bolts to hold it on. Interesting that there is such a price diff between the models.

The screws holding the shield on are quite stuck for now, i was going to remove it to take a pic of the muffler and why there is a hole through the center of it - it looks smooth like it was supposed to be there.

Does anybody know why the one muffler (HSS724) reads as "MUFFLER (ARRESTER)" while the one for the HS724 reads "MUFFLER (SILENT)" - is the one for the HS724 quieter? (Which may justify the almost 4.5x cost $59.84 vs. $13.37?)
cheaper on boats.net

1 - 20 of 28 Posts