Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Yesterday, finishing up after the nor' easter that came through, I lost one of my skids. This is a 1999 Honda HS828W. Many years ago I replaced the worn ones and put a backing plate on the inside of the auger housing for added support. You can see the left one is still intact in the pics.

The right one has rotted/rusted through and took the piece of the housing with it. I looked up the price of a new housing. Even if one is available, that isn't going to happen.

I have (so I thought) taken very good care of this machine and kept up on maintenance and repairs. I am not sure how this slipped through the cracks. I REALLY like this machine and have no real desire to get rid of it. I am fairly intimate with the disassembly and assembly of it as I have done auger and impeller bearings, belts and some other parts to it.

Any suggestions from the braintrust here? Thanks in advance.

Blow1.jpg Blow2.jpg blow3.jpg Blow4.jpg Blow5.jpg blow6.jpg

·
2,394 Posts
tibora isn't that far from you maybe he has something that can help you fix it? or knows where you can get more help

·
2,394 Posts
p/s orangputha just fixed one like it a short time back, lots of welding but it sure looked like new when done

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yeah, look at orangputha's fix.

Once rust starts it grows quick, like a cavity in your tooth.
Fix that cavity when it is small and you can save the tooth.
From what I see you need to repaint the whole machine, I see other areas that will fester and rot.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Greetings,

Yesterday, finishing up after the nor' easter that came through, I lost one of my skids. This is a 1999 Honda HS828W. Many years ago I replaced the worn ones and put a backing plate on the inside of the auger housing for added support. You can see the left one is still intact in the pics.

The right one has rotted/rusted through and took the piece of the housing with it. I looked up the price of a new housing. Even if one is available, that isn't going to happen.

I have (so I thought) taken very good care of this machine and kept up on maintenance and repairs. I am not sure how this slipped through the cracks. I REALLY like this machine and have no real desire to get rid of it. I am fairly intimate with the disassembly and assembly of it as I have done auger and impeller bearings, belts and some other parts to it.

View attachment 174960 View attachment 174961 View attachment 174962 View attachment 174963 View attachment 174964 View attachment 174965
Who fixed the first one for you? That looks to be an adequate repair. Really helps that the runner bolts in to a depression on the bucket.
Do you operate in the 'nose down' position? You are putting a huge load on those runners the harder you press them into the ground. My 622 has no bucket height adjustment and man, do those things grind against the sidewalk. I'm contemplating side skids to alleviate what has happened to your skids, but honestly, what good will they do? The back ones are holding the bucket off the ground OK.
HERE is a case where those roller-skids championed by Oneacer might be the best answer. As the Honda skids are behind the bucket, they won't be exposed to half the amount of snow that the ones mounted to the sides of the bucket has to face. You'd have to do a custom job, but the idea seems much sounder on a Honda back skid than an Ariens side. My buckets are off the 622 as I type. I did find a replacement bucket for the 622 thanks to sidegrinder, I didn't know I would have to replace it mid-season. I'll post some real 'wear' pictures once I've got it back together. Due to your timely post, I will devote some time to the issue this morning and report back if I've had a 'Eureka'.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
  • Clean the area.
  • Get to clean sheet metal.
  • Cut out a template for that void.
  • Use at least 1/8" or 1/4" piece of metal to create a plug for that void using the template.
  • Weld it all around.
  • Drill two holes.
  • Use Pan-head bolts to install the skids.
  • While you are at it, add side mounted skid shoes as well.

Being that you'd be drilling holes on the side I'd advise on using skids for Ariens or Toro as they are very heavy and will last for ever. I have never been a fan of just having rear mounted skids.

Here is a machine with the ariens side skids.

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
side skids perhaps would be better than rear.

your machine is very repairable. weld it back up. here is the before and after of a bucket i repaired
20201103_110106_resized.jpg
20201104_123547_resized.jpg
recently

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
The bucket does not have to be removed. In this case there was auger and other work I had to do. Replaced the auger belt and serviced augers. replaced impeller bearing and more.

warning; when welding cover the fuel tank and as much of the machine as possible with proper cover. I used to use a moving blanket but had one catch on fire !! almost no more Orangputeh and Darwin Award recipient.

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
just like JnC mentioned you can just plug the hole with metal stock , drill new holes a
PHEW! Is that lower bucket edge worn out or what!?
see this all the time. a real shame people dont keep their skids adjusted. this is not as bad as most I see. I have 10-12 buckets in back yard that need major major refurbishing. I mean the slots are completely gone or trashed. will have to cut out 3-4 inches and weld in new entire plate and sides.

never have the time. maybe summer .

·
Registered
862 Posts
just like JnC mentioned you can just plug the hole with metal stock , drill new holes a

see this all the time. a real shame people dont keep their skids adjusted. this is not as bad as most I see. I have 10-12 buckets in back yard that need major major refurbishing. I mean the slots are completely gone or trashed. will have to cut out 3-4 inches and weld in new entire plate and sides.

never have the time. maybe summer .
It seems repairing those buckets would be a big money-maker for you, considering the scarcity of a unworn bucket on these Honda's. Re-fitting the worn-down sides would be a bigger chore than the whole back edge!
I would drill the replacement holes before welding the replacement piece into the bucket. That way you won't have to wrassle the bucket around on your drill press.
FWIW.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. That was fast.

Rooksie, I did the repairs the last time. Not a lot to it. But apparently with time it failed.

Here's where I'm at. I am a VERY beginner welder. I have gas, stick and mig available to me. I just finished a short welding class last fall, and before I had a chance to do any practicing the weather got colder. Further, having an attached garage (that is very full of "stuff") there's not a lot of room and the smoke and fumes would find their way into the house. So where this really can't wait for good weather when I can weld outside, I would like to get it at least "usable" before the next storm. I've got a little time.

Jnc, That's a great write up for removing the bucket. Thanks.

So is the consensus to BOTH weld up the holes and reinstall the rear skids AND side skids? I would think it would be difficult to adjust all 4 and keep them in adjustment on a regular basis.

Or is the recommendation to plug the rear skid mounting holes, leave the rear skids off and add some durable side skids and leave it at that?

Thanks again for all the great advice. When I saw the skid lying on the ground yesterday, I thought for sure, I was going to be the only person that this had ever happened to.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Here's where I'm at.
That's where I was at about 15 years ago when the same thing happened with my HS80 rear skids. I didn't really want to deal with welding at that time, so I quickly made backing plates out of 1" x 1/4" x 6" steel bars, curved them on an anvil with a baby sledge to match the housing, and just bolted through the auger housing above and below the rectangular holes where the old mounts tore off (drilled and tapped the bars). And also added side skids.

Reactions: Rooskie

·
Registered
203 Posts
Use an epoxy patch like FiberFix because It will be stronger than metal when cured and you can drill through it.It will never rust!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help folks. I wanted to report back with what my solution was/is. I needed to get it usable for the storm we had Sunday. Shortening a wordy story, I ended up with a set of consumer grade, reversible Ariens skids. Drilling holes, adding shims to even out the stamped steel of the auger housing, and stainless hardware. I also temporarily patched the rotted hole by screwing a piece of steel over it until I can properly repair it in the spring. Thanks again for all the help.

Skid new front.jpg skidnew holes.jpg Skid new 4.jpg skidnewinside.jpg

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks for all the help folks. I wanted to report back with what my solution was/is. I needed to get it usable for the storm we had Sunday. Shortening a wordy story, I ended up with a set of consumer grade, reversible Ariens skids. Drilling holes, adding shims to even out the stamped steel of the auger housing, and stainless hardware. I also temporarily patched the rotted hole by screwing a piece of steel over it until I can properly repair it in the spring. Thanks again for all the help.

View attachment 175445 View attachment 175446 View attachment 175447 View attachment 175448
You're missing a bolt on the end of your bucket, aren't you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rooksie, nice catch. Ya know, I (sort of) saw that when I was working on it. It was dark and I just thought to myself, "Oh, it's there and it's just rusty and I don't see it..." and I asked myself the same question. Yes it's gone. I'll pull the other one and get a match at the hardware store.

I did all the bearings and belts a few years ago. I guess I didn't sock that one down. I'll have to check the other. When I was dealing with the skids and I had the blower up in the air, I found one of the housing to body bolts missing, and a couple more were loose. I guess these things just shake themselves apart.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Greetings,

View attachment 174960 View attachment 174961 View attachment 174962 View attachment 174963 View attachment 174964 View attachment 174965
Easily repairable...you need to find a decent fabricator though.

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
Rooksie, nice catch. Ya know, I (sort of) saw that when I was working on it. It was dark and I just thought to myself, "Oh, it's there and it's just rusty and I don't see it..." and I asked myself the same question. Yes it's gone. I'll pull the other one and get a match at the hardware store.

I did all the bearings and belts a few years ago. I guess I didn't sock that one down. I'll have to check the other. When I was dealing with the skids and I had the blower up in the air, I found one of the housing to body bolts missing, and a couple more were loose. I guess these things just shake themselves apart.
you talking about the end bolt for scraper bar? nice to have to help with adjustments but can go without. There are 5 other nuts that hold that sucker on. Have had people break the bolt off into threads and freak out and I've told them more trouble than it's worth to try and remove.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Orangputah, No we're talkin' 'bout the left side (from the operators perspective) auger end bolt in the middle of the bearing. GONE !!!

Bolt be gone.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts