Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HS928TAS is about 15 years old. It's been a faithful warrior. It is used residential, not commercial. No matter the snow type, it does a great job. It is regularly maintained by me. Oil changes every spring, hydraulic fluid about every five years, treads adjusted every five years. It's never needed to go back to the dealer.

I'm on at least my third carburetor. I tried rebuilding the first one and it still leaked. Replaced it with a new carburetor and that lasted about five years, then had to replace it about five years after that.

I use only Ethanol-free fuel. The carburetors leak with or without stabilizer.

If I drain the carburetor in the spring, it leaks in the fall. Like clockwork. If I leave fuel in the tank/carburetor, I have no leaks.

The leak appears to be coming from the bowl right after where the gas line comes in from the tank.

Why does it leak only when the fuel has been drained?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
By any chance do you take the carb bowl off prior to it starting to leak??

The orientation is very crictical... The trick is to mark it in a couple spots so you can put it back on in the same spot. But if you have not been removing the carb bowl, this shouldn't be your problem.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
well, kinda hard to tell from your description. if from the bowl then the bowl may be on wrong spot or the bowl O ring is not seated or dried out.

if where the fuel line comes from the tank, perhaps the fuel line is cracked at carb or not tight?

long shot but maybe fuel line is cracked at tank end and fuel is running down line.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It sounds like the float needle is sticking in its bore. The needle and bore may have to be cleaned. It probably has some oxydation on it, like corrosion that most carburetor cleaners will not remove.
I would use a "Q-Tip" with a cleaner like "S-100" on it and wipe out the bore to remove the oxydation, then flush it with carb cleaner. I also soak the needle in the S-100 solution.
The "S-100" cleaning solution is water based and can be found at a lot of motorcycle dealerships. It is used to spray on the bike, and then hose it off to clean the bike or car. The stuff works very well and when it dires, it wont leave streaks or spots.
It also works very well cleaning carburetors and their fuel jets. It is not a solvent based cleaner, and it removes "Sulfation" on carb parts that most carb cleaners will not remove, just let the parts soak in it for a little while.
The "Oxydation" looks like a white or yellowish powder film on the metal surface of the inside of the carburetor and bowl, not like a sludge, but it will remove the sludge also by dissolving it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
OP says he is on his 3rd Carb on a 15 year machine, that is not my experience with the HS family, think we need more answers...

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
OP says he is on his 3rd Carb on a 15 year machine, that is not my experience with the HS family, think we need more answers...
agree . the post was a little confusing. Come BACK one timer and give us more info or an update. We are here to help and can not bite thru the computer.

These problems come up for everyone from time to time and what will work for you will help other owners.

Carb problems and fuel leaks are solvable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry for not following up, I didn't realize I hadn't subscribed to my own thread. :(

The fuel line looks good. It's never been replaced through all of the replacement carburetors. Slap on a new carb, no leaks, runs great.

I'm not removing the float bowl. I did that only once, with the original OEM carb, when I tried to rebuild it with OEM parts.

When in the operator position, facing the snowblower, the leak seems to be coming from the right side of the carburetor. Just downstream from where the fuel line comes in.

I've taken the old carburetors apart, to do some forensic research. They always look clean. Never anything like the pictures in this thread: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/general-snowblower-discussion/154291-what-happened-carb.html#post1731397

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
After shutting the engine off after using it, does the carb leak if you do not shut the gas off, but does, if you leave the gas turned on?? If yes, you probably have dirt in the float needle seat perhaps caused by the old gas line. After 15 years i would be replacing the line regardless and get a new fuel filter to install, they thread into the bottom of the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Sorry for not following up, I didn't realize I hadn't subscribed to my own thread. :(

The fuel line looks good. It's never been replaced through all of the replacement carburetors. Slap on a new carb, no leaks, runs great.

I'm not removing the float bowl. I did that only once, with the original OEM carb, when I tried to rebuild it with OEM parts.

When in the operator position, facing the snowblower, the leak seems to be coming from the right side of the carburetor. Just downstream from where the fuel line comes in.

I've taken the old carburetors apart, to do some forensic research. They always look clean. Never anything like the pictures in this thread: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/general-snowblower-discussion/154291-what-happened-carb.html#post1731397
if it'snot the fuel line then probably what @contender says and a dirty needle valve not seating and leaking gas into bowl overflowing it . Did you make sure the bowl was put back on correctly? if not then the float may be holding up and not shutting off gas flow as it should.

I have seen both issues many many times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After shutting the engine off after using it, does the carb leak if you do not shut the gas off, but does, if you leave the gas turned on?? If yes, you probably have dirt in the float needle seat perhaps caused by the old gas line. After 15 years i would be replacing the line regardless and get a new fuel filter to install, they thread into the bottom of the fuel tank.
Sometimes I shut off the fuel valve and sometimes I don't. That's during winter. I always turn off the fuel valve at the end of winter, right after changing the oil and putting the snowblower to bed for the non-winter period.

The only time I get leaks is if I completely drain all fuel out of the carburetor. I close the fuel valve and open the drain valve on the float bowl. Then I give the engine an opportunity to start, just to make sure all the fuel is out of the carburetor. I don't remove the float bowl.

If I leave fuel in the carburetor for the summer, the engine fires up after a few pulls and I get no leaks.

I'm not familiar with the fuel filter on my unit. I don't recall seeing a filter in my manuals.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Haven't seen a Honda HS 928, without the filter, but it is possible. But it is hidden. Take the fuel cap off the tank and look towards the back of the tank, on the drivers side(as you operate the blower), you should see a plastic screen stem sticking up thru the bottom of the tank. That is a fitting that screws in from the outside and is where the fuel line is attached to.

Do you have the service manual for this machine?? If so, look at the orientation of the fuel bowl and see if it looks like yours. As Orang says, the position of the bowl is very critical.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't seen a Honda HS 928, without the filter, but it is possible. But it is hidden. Take the fuel cap off the tank and look towards the back of the tank, on the drivers side(as you operate the blower), you should see a plastic screen stem sticking up thru the bottom of the tank. That is a fitting that screws in from the outside and is where the fuel line is attached to.

Do you have the service manual for this machine?? If so, look at the orientation of the fuel bowl and see if it looks like yours. As Orang says, the position of the bowl is very critical.
Yes, I do have the service manuals. They're rather expensive for such a short read. When I change the oil here in a few weeks I'll take a look for the filter. This is a part I should replace? Or, is it one that is cleaned and reinstalled?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
On a 15 year old machine i would change it and put a new fuel line on. Because you have had the problem with 3 different carbs i would expect the line has broken down on the inside. Have the replacement carbs been OEM??

Now, changing the line is not going to cure the current problem if there is dirt in the float seat, so you will probably have to remove the bowl and give it good cleaning....be very careful to mark the bowl position before you remove it and as mentioned, confirm the position of the drain spout with the picture in the manual. If, it is not leaking now, i would change the fuel line and filter and leave the bowl alone, next time it leaks then research the needle seat on the float....

BTW, where are located??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The first replacement carburetor was OEM. After that, I could see it was getting expensive, so I bought aftermarket. I haven't seen any difference in performance. I now keep a spare in inventory.

The bowl on the current carburetor hasn't been touched. Why is the bowl position so important?

I'm south of Denver, hoping for at least one more snowstorm this season. I put on a set of plastic skid shoes last week that I want to see how they perform. This was a modification that I read about on this forum. I've also got a set of handgrip heaters ready to install.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
The tank is not difficult to remove, thus i suggest you take it off to change the filter and the line, maybe order a couple of the hose clamp clips as well...frustrating when one breaks and you don't have a replacement....

Boats.not offers excellent parts service and pricing...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The kit I bought comes with two clips.

Honda sent me an email about recalls, included with their Wuhan Virus info. No recalls on my unit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts