Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have an HS928 with the GX270 engine. I had just replaced the carb at the end of last winter due to a leaking problem with the old one. Now that I have taken it out of storage for this coming winter, I find that it has a hard time accelerating. If I go slow with the accelerator it seems to pick up rpm's just fine. But If I accelerate quickly it will bog down, choke and sometimes stall. Otherwise it seems to run just fine. I have tried adjusting and re-adjusting the 2 screws that are visible on the left side of the carb, but no luck. Any ideas??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it still happens after warm up. And yes I had noticed the same issue before it was put away last spring.

I have tried to adjust both screws but no luck yet. Set them both to full seat and then 1.5 turns back each. No difference. Always seems to hesitate upon acceleration.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pull the carb bowl off to start with, you may have a small collection of gunk/debris built up. If yes, clean the bowl up and try it, (you may get lucky). If the symptoms still persist I'd remove the carb and do a deep clean.

·
Premium GOT Member
8,226 Posts
if this happened to me I would check choke adjustment as previously mentioned.
Then I would pull carb off slightly and watch cable /throttle action.

You said this was a new carb. a HONDA OEM carb? or a clone. Have had this problem with clones and took out the chinese pilot jet and replaced with a Honda pilot jet from the OEM carb.

I'm D.

GOT

·
Registered
355 Posts
Is the choke manual or automatic? If manual, you want to see if it is opening and closing fully. If automatic, is it doing the same? I always buy the shop manual with any power equipment I get. The information in them is invaluable, and only one saved trip to a dealer pays for it several times over. Honda's manuals are very detailed and will show you what needs to be done for the choke.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This diagram shows the carb on the machine. It mentions the pilot screw. I have screwed both it and the larger throttle idle screw (just to the top right of the Pilot Screw) right down to the seat, then back 1.5 turns as per instructions. It is still not running right, even after adjusting either screw in or out.
Hand Arm White Leg Organ

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Take the carb apart and clean it using carb cleaner and a welding tip cleaner, pay attention to the plastic tube in the main jet.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
giovanni1, so the screw you have labeled as the pilot screw, did you check its setting before you adjusted it?? and if you put a new HONDA carb on late last season, it should have had a limiter on it so you have very little adj?? the second screw to the right and a little higher is only to set the idle, it does not enter inside the carb. Now immediately below the idle screw is what Honda refers to as the " jet set pilot ", if it gets plugged or partially, it can cause a number of issues, however on a new carb, it should not be.....unless you feeding it dirty gas.
If you do not have a service manual for that machine, its a must to get one so you can review some of the tips that you have been offered. Good luck, keep us posted on your success....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately I did not check the Pilot screw setting last spring before it was moved. But I must admit that the issue was apparent immediately after installing the new carb.

When you say 'jet set pilot', are you referring to the main jet internal to the carb?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
When you say 'jet set pilot', are you referring to the main jet internal to the carb?
No, the pilot jet set screw should be set between 1.25 and 2 turns out, depending on what main jet size is installed. The pilot jet supplies fuel from idle all the way up to max throttle, while the main jet adds fuel on top of it as throttle and vacuum increase. What size pilot and main jets are installed? When you replaced the carb, did you purchase a winter one with the correct #38 pilot & #88 (or #90 or #92) main jet installed, or a generic Honda GX270 summer carb?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered the new carb directly at a Honda dealer in my area. I do not know what size jet is in them from factory. I have heard that installing a larger one will increase the performance of this engine. Not exactly sure of what size would be appropriate to go up to for a GX270?? Or...if that may solve the issue I am having?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Not exactly sure of what size would be appropriate to go up to for a GX270?
The ones that I posted above are the stock jets for a GX270 on the HS928 (pre-K1). You should check to see what is in there.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had a chance to help a friend with a Honda and similar symptoms. I found that crud had partially obstructed the fuel line, so it would run fine at idle and low load. But at higher speed/load, not enough fuel was getting through. Same symptoms as a blocked main jet. I just replaced all the hoses and cleaned the fuel tank, and it's like new again. Oh, and gave him a new clean fuel can too.

Reactions: contender

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I just took a look and the main jet that is in the OEM Honda carb is a 92s. There are no numbers apparent on the Pilot Screw. My old carb that was on previously has the same main jet (92s).

Should I give a main jet with a larger orifice a try to solve the acceleration issue? If so, which size and where do I get it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts