Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the winter season, I wanted to verify/change all parts on my machine to be sure it would run top notch for the next few years.

I'm the second owner, the previous owner took really good care of it, besides oil changes, he only had to change the chute motor in 8 years (he bought the unit new in 2008). It was always stored in a garage.

I did 2 winters with the machine without any issues.

While the unit is teared down, I wanted to do a few mods:
  • impeller rubber kit to help clear the slush
  • plastic skids (my metal ones are almost worn out)

Tearing the front portion appart:

20200901_151848.jpg 20200901_151927.jpg

Front auger bearings and impeller bearings are a little bit stiff but no play in them (will change them anyway).
20200901_152007.jpg

Belts are also in good shape (will change them anyway).
20200902_231147.jpg

So far, for a 12 years old machine, it's in really good shape and will do many more.

I've own 2 "pro" Ariens snowblowers before, it's not the same game... Ok the 1336 is not cheap, but no parts to replace except a chute motor in 12 years... With my Ariens, I always had to replace parts every few years (the impeller bearing and clutch disk every 2-3 years).

I will post updates as I continue the process.

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
preventive maintenance never hurts . nice work with one suggestion, the new bearings if you are very careful removing the seals with a tiny pick from under the inner edge,you will find have little to no grease in them,
personally i found even brand new ( imported from we all know where) bearings to turn with a dry feeling so i remove the seals on every bearing and hand pack them fully with a good water proof silicon grease,remove the excess so the seals go back on easy and have found it makes them last longer and not feel dry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
preventive maintenance never hurts . nice work with one suggestion, the new bearings if you are very careful removing the seals with a tiny pick from under the inner edge,you will find have little to no grease in them,
personally i found even brand new ( imported from we all know where) bearings to turn with a dry feeling so i remove the seals on every bearing and hand pack them fully with a good water proof silicon grease,remove the excess so the seals go back on easy and have found it makes them last longer and not feel dry.

Thanks for the tip, will do!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The belts are cracked and the toothed belt has lost quite a bit of rubber so changing them is a real must.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
With that said I always keep a set a belts around, even if it's just the worn ones that I removed. If one breaks in a storm, a worn-out belt for a replacement is still better than a shovel.

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
With that said I always keep a set a belts around, even if it's just the worn ones that I removed. If one breaks in a storm, a worn-out belt for a replacement is still better than a shovel.
amen to that! just like a old navy saying any port in a storm, any belt is better than known

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always keep spare/used parts, a used part is better than no part at all!

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
@hatesnow Curious how you like the HSM1336i

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@hatesnow Curious how you like the HSM1336i
It's beast and it will last a long time. You pay for what you get, I bought it used and it was cheaper than a new HSS1332ATD and I don't regret it!
Buying the 1336i brand new for me was a no go, but buying a used one at less than half brand new price was my best move.

With this snow blower you "operate" the snow blower, no force needed to blow more than 2 feet of packed snow. Only have to operate the joysticks. It can throw snow very far with very little throttle (most of my snow blowing is done at 1/3 -1/2 throttle). The weight (540 LBS), the tracks and serrated augers do the work for you.

When I'm not home, the wife is able to use it, she didn't want to touch the old Ariens. :D

With my last Ariens, you had to push/pull, right/left when blowing hard snow/ice and it was almost always at full throttle to throw the snow at the same distance (I had an 1996 Ariens 10hp 28" with the long chute and 6 pallet impeller). With the Ariens, you always have maintenance to do on it every few years, a bearing, clutch... As stated in my first post, this is his first maintenance in 12 years (except yearly oil change). Some parts for Honda snow blowers do cost more (starters, chute motors) but bearings and straps cost less than my old Ariens and need less maintenance.

Since it has electric motors, you can move it in the garage without having to start it up, a nice feature.

Only downside I could find is it takes more time to do a short driveway since it's on tracks instead of wheels (it takes more time to turn around or do a U-turn).

If you have the place to store it and you can find a used one in a great shape for the right price, you should pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
@hatesnow I have a 6x6 UTV side by side for which I am almost done setting up the attachment of a Kimpex ATV 48" snow blower. I have NO municipal services on Echo Summit, California where I snow blow.

I also have a Honda HS1132TA tracked snow blower which has been a great machine for my use, except that I continually break shear bolts.

And I have an older Ariens ST1032 with snow hog tires and V-bar chains, which really does not perform well on my inclined dirt and granite driveway.

The 6x6 UTV side by side also has V-bar chains and winches front and back and is used for skidding logs for firewood, etc. I am concerned about its length with the Kimpex blower attached. I definitely cannot skid logs with the snow blower attached. So I would have to remove it more often than I likely would prefer. For my application, I will likely be doing more "Y" turns in my driveway to change direction while blowing because although my driveway is inclined and the UTV would have great traction, my driveway is not all that long, but has little "offshoots" for vehicle parking and vehicle turnaround, etc.

I have been seriously considering buying the HSS1332ATD for the auger protection, etc. systems.

But it looks like the ski resort which I frequent is slowly switching over from the HSS1332ATD to the HSM1336i.

So I am considering selling the Kimpex ATV snow blower, the HS1132TA, and the Ariens ST1032 and saving up and buying the HSM1336i and keeping the side by side nimble for firewood retrieval.

Apologies to @Ronin for previously chiding him for not buying a tractor with a blower attachment. Now I think he may have been on to something which I missed.

@hatesnow and others, any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.

Does a HSM1336i sound appropriate for Echo Summit, California where we often get "tons" of snow (just a little less than @orangputeh gets at Truckee, CA)?

Any "options" for an HSM1336i which I should consider would also be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,259 Posts
@hatesnow I have a 6x6 UTV side by side for which I am almost done setting up the attachment of a Kimpex ATV 48" snow blower. I have NO municipal services on Echo Summit, California where I snow blow.

I also have a Honda HS1132TA tracked snow blower which has been a great machine for my use, except that I continually break shear bolts.

And I have an older Ariens ST1032 with snow hog tires and V-bar chains, which really does not perform well on my inclined dirt and granite driveway.

The 6x6 UTV side by side also has V-bar chains and winches front and back and is used for skidding logs for firewood, etc. I am concerned about its length with the Kimpex blower attached. I definitely cannot skid logs with the snow blower attached. So I would have to remove it more often than I likely would prefer. For my application, I will likely be doing more "Y" turns in my driveway to change direction while blowing because although my driveway is inclined and the UTV would have great traction, my driveway is not all that long, but has little "offshoots" for vehicle parking and vehicle turnaround, etc.

I have been seriously considering buying the HSS1332ATD for the auger protection, etc. systems.

But it looks like the ski resort which I frequent is slowly switching over from the HSS1332ATD to the HSM1336i.

So I am considering selling the Kimpex ATV snow blower, the HS1132TA, and the Ariens ST1032 and saving up and buying the HSM1336i and keeping the side by side nimble for firewood retrieval.

Apologies to @Ronin for previously chiding him for not buying a tractor with a blower attachment. Now I think he may have been on to something which I missed.

Does a HSM1336i sound appropriate for Echo Summit, California where we often get "tons" of snow (just a little less than @orangputeh gets at Truckee, CA)?

Any "options" for an HSM1336i which I should consider would also be appreciated.
the other poster had the right idea buying used for half price. If i were you I'd wait until spring/summer and do the same. Not familiar with 1336 but do they come with hour meters?

also , it would serve you well to know what to look for in a good used machine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

In Canada, Quebec, we get about 200cm - 400cm (78in -157in) of snow per year, I found you are getting about on average 1000cm (400in) of snow per year. Damm son! That is a lot of snow!

As you can see in this picture, the 1336i can handle deep snow very well (snow was over the chute, about 4½ feet tall):

Go try one at your local Honda dealer, best way to "feel" the beast ;)

The only time I broke shear bolts (genuine Honda shear bolts, not cheap stuff), is when I hit a 2x4 with it. Even in icy packed snow, it "grinds it", no breakage. Of course with icy snow yo go though it slowly...

First upgrade I did on mine is change the halogen light for an LED light. This year I did an impeller mod (add rubber piece on impeller blades to remove the gap between impeller and housing), it helps a lot with clearing slush. I've also added an hour meter/Tachometer.

Electrical system is 24V (since you have 2 x 12v batteries in series).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the other poster had the right idea buying used for half price. If i were you I'd wait until spring/summer and do the same. Not familiar with 1336 but do they come with hour meters?

also , it would serve you well to know what to look for in a good used machine.
No hours meters on 1336i, as with others snow blowers, check for "too much play" in the impeller/auger gears, too much wear on the auger teeth, condition of belts, too much rust on the carriage... Since there is 2 x 12V battery you can check the health of the batteries using a battery tester (used on cars to see if it has the correct CCA rating).

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
@hatesnow thank you for your photo and for your info.

@orangputeh I will likely buy new. I did buy the HS1132TA used about four years ago but it was a no brainer. (I repair our automobiles, so I am realtively mechanically inclined.) I was told it had probably been used maybe once. But from its obvious condition, I am not sure that it was even used once! Now it has two new belts and a new impeller shaft bearing thanks to your and others help.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Wow, these are an impressive machine.

Looking online, it looks like they start at $8600.00 CAD in Canada

This seller is asking $7500.00 CAD for a used older version, that has definitely seen some use, based on the paint loss on the chute.
Does this older version warrant this kind of price, or is the seller dreaming?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, these are an impressive machine.

Looking online, it looks like they start at $8600.00 CAD in Canada

This seller is asking $7500.00 CAD for a used older version, that has definitely seen some use, based on the paint loss on the chute.
Does this older version warrant this kind of price, or is the seller dreaming?

For one that old... he is dreaming.

Here is one with a more realistic price (5700$ CAD) :

Souffleuse Honda HS1336i 2010 | Souffleuses à neige | Ville de Québec | Kijiji

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Late update about the maintenance (better late than never?!)

A little bit of paint:
20200902_191754.jpg

New shoes, I had some recycled plastic lumber left around, so I made new skid pads, will see how long they live...
20200902_231638.jpg
20200902_231650.jpg
20201012_125846.jpg

New belts in place:
20201012_125749.jpg

Homemade impeller mod (really helps to throw slush farther):
20201012_125755.jpg

Other angle of the impeller mod:

20201012_125813.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,259 Posts
I always thought that the 1336 would be good for commercial applications or very large residential use. Otherwise I recommend the 1332 which is almost 300 pounds lighter.

the 1132-1332 has enough weight to stay low in MY experience. I live in the same area as E350 and the 1132's I used can handle just about anything. I have built 1128's which IMO were better than than the 1132's and easier for ME to use.

I do not have a snow removal business but if I did I would own a 1332, a couple 1128's or 928's and several 720's.

It really depends on your application needs. E350 may need the 1336.

you do have to be careful about dirt/gravel. It can really ruin your day and machine pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,259 Posts
Late update about the maintenance (better late than never?!)

A little bit of paint:
View attachment 173404

New shoes, I had some recycled plastic lumber left around, so I made new skid pads, will see how long they live...
View attachment 173405
View attachment 173407
View attachment 173413

New belts in place:
View attachment 173408

Homemade impeller mod (really helps to throw slush farther):
View attachment 173410

Other angle of the impeller mod:

View attachment 173412
excellent. where do you get that plastic lumber as you call it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts