Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Posted last season about my HSS1332 running lean. Still having same issue even after taking it to a Honda dealer for service.

So when I figure it up, and push the choke back in, it surges really bad and backfires constantly unless I pull the choke part way out.

This means it's running lean right? Cuz when I pull the choke part way out I'm choking some of the intake air and reducing the air going into the carb?

Anyways, took it to honda last fall while it was still under warranty. Told them about the surging.

They couldn't replicate the issue, although when I started it to load it on the trailer, it was surging like crazy. Dunno what's wrong with Honda...

Anyways they told me the carb was likely filthy and the issue, seeing as it was 3 years old at the time. They said that's not covered and I'd have to pay for that service if it was the issue, no big deal I'd pay them to clean carb if required.

Turns out the carb was apparently spotless. Probably because I only run Shell 91 with 0 ethanol in it.

I paid them to install a bigger jet, 110? Whatever you guys said to get I forget now.

Also told them about a service bulletin for the auger lever not staying locked in place and wanted that fixed with the new revised parts. They didn't do that either, just fiddled with the cables and made things worse. Now the drive lever stays engaged sometimes, and both levers feel loose and cheap now and shake a lot.

Also my joystick was acting up, wouldn't move the chute to the left. Showed them the service bulletin for that too. Guess what, couldn't replicate it. Didn't replace the joystick. Had to buy a new one myself 2 weeks after I picked it up.

Sooooo Honda has proven to be more than useless with my machine. Gonna have to take on the repairs myself.

What's possibly causing the surging? The machine runs good and strong under full load, just runs like ass at idle.

Also, when I got it back from them, the piston that holds the blower at different angles with the thumb lever seems to be leaking and doesn't hold it any more. If I lift it up the bucket all the way it sinks down pretty quick on its own.

So a few things I need to tackle.

Just bothers me that this was all under warranty and they literally did nothing.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Hey guys. Posted last season about my HSS1332 running lean. Still having same issue even after taking it to a Honda dealer for service.

So when I figure it up, and push the choke back in, it surges really bad and backfires constantly unless I pull the choke part way out.

This means it's running lean right? Cuz when I pull the choke part way out I'm choking some of the intake air and reducing the air going into the carb?

Anyways, took it to honda last fall while it was still under warranty. Told them about the surging.

They couldn't replicate the issue, although when I started it to load it on the trailer, it was surging like crazy. Dunno what's wrong with Honda...

Anyways they told me the carb was likely filthy and the issue, seeing as it was 3 years old at the time. They said that's not covered and I'd have to pay for that service if it was the issue, no big deal I'd pay them to clean carb if required.

Turns out the carb was apparently spotless. Probably because I only run Shell 91 with 0 ethanol in it.

I paid them to install a bigger jet, 110? Whatever you guys said to get I forget now.

Also told them about a service bulletin for the auger lever not staying locked in place and wanted that fixed with the new revised parts. They didn't do that either, just fiddled with the cables and made things worse. Now the drive lever stays engaged sometimes, and both levers feel loose and cheap now and shake a lot.

Also my joystick was acting up, wouldn't move the chute to the left. Showed them the service bulletin for that too. Guess what, couldn't replicate it. Didn't replace the joystick. Had to buy a new one myself 2 weeks after I picked it up.

Sooooo Honda has proven to be more than useless with my machine. Gonna have to take on the repairs myself.

What's possibly causing the surging? The machine runs good and strong under full load, just runs like ass at idle.

Also, when I got it back from them, the piston that holds the blower at different angles with the thumb lever seems to be leaking and doesn't hold it any more. If I lift it up the bucket all the way it sinks down pretty quick on its own.

So a few things I need to tackle.

Just bothers me that this was all under warranty and they literally did nothing.

Thanks guys.

wow. you didnt test everything and show before leaving? the surging is either something is still clogged in carb or wrong jet maybe.

what is your elevation? @tabora is the expert on rejets for specific elevation. a chart was listed somewhere. check the honda info repository that he posted. its a sticky in honda forum

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to have someone else pick it up for me unfortunately.

Tabora is the one who told me what jet to get for my elevation. I'd have to look back through old posts to find it.

I'm thinking the idle jet needs to be replaced possibly?

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I had to have someone else pick it up for me unfortunately.

Tabora is the one who told me what jet to get for my elevation. I'd have to look back through old posts to find it.

I'm thinking the idle jet needs to be replaced possibly?

possible but you said it was rebuilt. easy enough to remove pilot without removing carb. see if clogged and inspect that little O ring. 1mmx4mm. if ring is flat or damaged., replace that. Honda will rape you on that little pilot jet. about $20 so I try to clean first and replace the O ring for 50 cents.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda said they checked the carb, and installed the larger jet. But who knows what they did.

Would that likely cause surging if it was partially clogged? The idle jet...

This all started with a mouse nest in the air box. I'm wondering if some of it got sucked in and is still in the carb. All I did was clean the air box.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
i'm wondering also.......no soup for you

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Posted last season about my HSS1332 running lean.
So, who were you last year? What's your actual location & elevation?

BentOddMcVey
Joined 6 d ago
3 Posts
Anyways, took it to honda
Not to Honda - a dealer... The one where you purchased it?
Also told them about a service bulletin for the auger lever not staying locked in place and wanted that fixed with the new revised parts. They didn't do that either
What's your serial number? And purchase date?
Sooooo Honda has proven to be more than useless with my machine.
Not Honda - dealer.
Like people said - idle (pilot) jet.
Also, when I got it back from them, the piston that holds the blower at different angles with the thumb lever seems to be leaking and doesn't hold it any more.
Clearly a warranty item. I wouldn't have accepted it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys.

So today I pulled off the air box for fun and sprayed in some cleaner. Didn't help at all.

I noticed there is a lever that is spring loaded and runs towards the gas tank that is visible through the holes in the bottom of the air box with the cover off.

I noticed this lever moving back and forth as the engine is surging. When I slowly pull the choke put to smooth the idle, the lever slows down as it smoothes out and stops moving completely as the idle becomes perfect.

What is this lever controlling?

Thx

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
That would be the govenor, and the motion is it trying to correct the surge. (It is controlling the throttle plate).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I got that now.

I tried adjusting the pilot screw that has a stopper on it. Makes no difference.

But, the large idle screw does. If I screw it almost all the way in the surging more or less stops with the choke all the way in. But as I pull the choke out the rpm goes up a lot, which probably isn't any good?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled the spark plug out. It's the 5ES, I read everywhere to use the 6ES but the manual says 5ES.

I'm gonna order a 4 pack of the 5ES unless anyone has a good reason why I'd use the 6ES?

Also, the plug is pretty black. Like it's running super rich. The plug ABOVE the threads, and the boot also has a lot of black on it. And on what I assume is the valve cover? The top of it is black. Doesn't look like it's fumes from the muffler making it black either. Rubber gasket on valve cover seems to be in good shape.

When I pulled the plug it did not seem to be even remotely close to tight. Hardly even hand tight.

I torqued it back in to 13ftlb, what the manual says, until my new plug comes in a few days.

Possible it wasn't tight and gas/exhaust blowing past the plug and that's why it's all black?

I'll attach a pic.

Also, there's a rubber hose coming off the valve cover (?) which I assume is a crank vent or wtv, like the pvc system in a car. This hose also looks like it could be attached to a nipple on the air box. Is it supposed to be? I guess it would be better to continue to let that dirty oil drain into the plastic cover like it is now? Vs feeding it into the air intake and carb...

Can't attach the pic for se reason. Probably too high of resolution. I'll try and resize it.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Also, there's a rubber hose coming off the valve cover (?) which I assume is a crank vent or wtv, like the pvc system in a car. This hose also looks like it could be attached to a nipple on the air box. Is it supposed to be?
On my Honda GX240 it just vents to the air and the air elbow nipple is plugged. #9 in the diagram. I don't recollect what the GX390 vent does, but I believe it's the same. Does the hose have a 90 degree bend like #8 in the second diagram? If so, it doesn't connect to anything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep gx390 seems to be the same. The vent hose is a 90 and goes straight down.

The nipple on the intake had a plug, I found it floating around in the plastic guard under that side of the engine.

At this point I'm thinking of buying a carb off amazon for $30 to try. Aftermarket ones ok, or should I stick to Honda OEM?

thx for your help

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I wouldn’t put a junky knock off carb on your Honda. I rarely have to replace carbs. Only if it’s rusty from sitting a long time with gas that phase separated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only reason I'm thinking of replacing it is because I have 0 experience with them.

I'm fairly handy. Should it be pretty straight forward for me to remove and completely gut the carb so I can clean everything with an ultrasonic cleaner??

Or am I better off just spending ~$100 or whatever honda wants for a completely new ready to go carb?

·
Registered
34 Posts
@BentOddMcVey. Correct me if im wrong but this is not some POS cheap snowblower, isnt this thing around 3k? So my questions to you are:
1 who old is it?
2 still under warranty?
3 why would you of loaded it on your trailer and left this shop if you were able to show them the surging then and there?
4 why wouldnt you just go to another Honda certified shop?

Why wouldnt you call Honda Customer service directly and explain what you are experiencing and how the shop is USELESS in assisting you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 3 year warranty was up at the start of last season, about a year and change ago. I took it in just before the warranty expired.

I had to get someone else to pick it up for me when the repairs were completed.

I did call them a few days later and spoke with the manager of the service department and explained nothing was fixed and it was worse than when I dropped it off. Told him I kind of needed it for the season, he said just bring it back when I could and they'd check it out again.

This was all at the start of last season. So I probably let too much time pass to do anything about it now.

Unless you think calling Honda directly may get some results?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So typically a gx390 uses a 6ES plug, which is one step cooler than a 5ES.

So a 5es runs hotter. Honda must spec a 5es when used in the snowblower because of the cold temperatures?

A gx390 on a pressure washer for example they spec the colder 6es plug...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a gx390 on my log splitter but i cant look at what plug because its buried under snow. Regardless the plug is not your surging issue. It is the low circuit of the carb. The reason why your plug is black is because your choking it and its running richer. That carb has to be gone through and clean by someone with knowledge of doing so.
Do you run it dry during the off season?
I dont recommend that if you do. i also pull my machines out and run them in the off season to keep the carb with fresh tank gas in it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not run it dry. I get the gas low in the tank and shut off the fuel valve. I don't drain the carb.

The bowl is always spotless clean but never went into the carb.

Honda replaced my main jet with a larger one for me, and said the carb was immaculately clean, and apparently drilled out my idle jet, although they couldn't reproduce the surging in the fall weather.

When I got it back I think it actually ran good the first few times until we got -10c or more then back to heavy surging and backfiring at idle.

I should point that out too, it's not just surging, it backfires loudly on almost every surge, if not every rpm surge.

To me, it must be running rich to surge AND backfire like that? But why does choking it even out the surging if it's already starving for air?

It all started with a mouse nest in the air box. Likely some of the tiny air passages in the carb are plugged? Worth me cleaning that out or just replace carb at this point??

1 - 20 of 105 Posts