Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It's about 4 years old. I keep it in my back tool shed, not heated, but not exposed to the elements so much.

I lent it to a friend for a few days recently. Came back with lots of road salt on it from the journey on the trailer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just sold a 30" Craftsman that was 12 years that looked brand new. Im sorry but for a 3k machine that little view of the machine makes it look like it was cared for very little. When a machine is stored thats where all the attention matters. That black on there is growth like mold/mildew. looks like that machine needs a serious bath and I bet the carb isnt as clean as the shop said based on the looks of the outside of the carb.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm not saying it's immaculate by any means. But that def isn't growth of some sort. I guess it's hard to tell in the pictures.

It's soot. Plain as day. Same extremely rich soot the muffler is coated in. It wipes off with my fingers and smells like fuel. Same as any rich burning vehicle/engine.

I'm just curious as to how it's getting there.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Let's be honest with ourselves:
This surging is a common issue of all these Honda engines.
The one in my Honda has the exact same problem and I have seen numerous threads started on the issue.
I bet this unit in question does it less when the fuel tank is full and more as the tank gets lower, just like mine.
In my instance, the carburetor is brand new, replaced by the Previous Owner less than a month before I bought it. All appears in order.
Unfortunately, I have yet to see a definitive answer for surging convincing enough to provoke me to tear apart a new carburetor. Carburetor is a French word for 'Don't touch it'. This adage has served me well for many decades. And usually the problem turned out not to be the carburetor in the first place!
If anyone has had this problem and knows definitively why they surge and how to fix it, please chime in.
If you did 2 different things at the same time and one of them got the problem fixed, please don't reply unless you can positively identify the cure.
It's almost like an engineering mystery novel. There is enough 'evidence' on this site, along with clues and red herrings.
And when we have that answer, make a sticky of it and stick it first in the Honda spot.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Carbs are not terribly complicated. Small Engines usually surge do to improper fueling. The vast majority of the time it’s a lean condition. Engines are air pumps, when new, the engine is less efficient at pumping air. As engines break in, and the rings and cylinder wall hone themselves into a more effective seal the engine pumps more air then originally jetted for, especially with today’s strict emission standards on small engines. The result is a lean condition.

The OP swears that the dealer installed a #110 but I’m not to sure and it’d be nice to have visual confirmation. The pilot jet doesn’t only function at idle. Its always participating and is essential for throttle transients.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The OP swears that the dealer installed a #110 but I’m not to sure and it’d be nice to have visual confirmation. The pilot jet doesn’t only function at idle. Its always participating and is essential for throttle transients.
Dealer installed a #108 not 110. They had to order it for me, then handed it to me when I dropped off the machine, not realizing I wanted them to install it. I'll pull it out when I pull the idle jet. Assuming the part # is on the jet?

Also, again, the main jet being replaced has NOTHING to do with the surging. Surging is the reason I took it in the first place.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Also, again, the main jet being replaced has NOTHING to do with the surging. Surging is the reason I took it in the first place.
The main jet increase helps with surging at operating (full) RPM. The replacement pilot jet should help at idle (minimum) RPM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The main jet has everything to do with the surging. lol.
Not saying it doesn't

What I'm saying is it was surging exactly the same with no load on it at full throttle/rpm with the stock jet and putting in the 108 jet made absolutely no difference.

Unless the dealer charged me for the jet and installation and didn't actually do it, which is quite possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
And I just broke a shear pin? Never had this happen. Left a small tire pressure gauge in the laneway while changing tire on a trailer def feel like an idiot now.

How stupid would I be to put a nut and bolt in there to finish the job til I can get to a Honda dealer?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thoughts on replacing sheer pin with a regular bolt...Are you missing any other tire pressure gauges ? LOL

I wouldn't chance it. Little upside, and huge downside. Just use it without the sheer pin, and take half-size swipes with the blower.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
That’s the sheer bolt for the impeller. You can swap a auger sheer bolt for the impeller position and peg leg it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
And I just broke a shear pin? Never had this happen. Left a small tire pressure gauge in the laneway while changing tire on a trailer def feel like an idiot now.

How stupid would I be to put a nut and bolt in there to finish the job til I can get to a Honda dealer?

Parts Tree shows that bolt in the diagram but not on the part list.
And it appears different than the other shear bolt, at least by the diagram.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do not run it dry. I get the gas low in the tank and shut off the fuel valve. I don't drain the carb.

The bowl is always spotless clean but never went into the carb.

Honda replaced my main jet with a larger one for me, and said the carb was immaculately clean, and apparently drilled out my idle jet, although they couldn't reproduce the surging in the fall weather.

When I got it back I think it actually ran good the first few times until we got -10c or more then back to heavy surging and backfiring at idle.

I should point that out too, it's not just surging, it backfires loudly on almost every surge, if not every rpm surge.

The "jets" are only one part of the carb and have very tiny holes on them that can get clogged up. But there are also many passages through out the carb that are going to get clogged up the same and you can change those jets till the cows come home and it will never improve the overall function of a carb that varnished itself up. Now I understand your dealer had told you the carb was spotless, he also told you he installed the 108 jet. That carb NEEDS to be completely removed, thoroughly cleaned and I mean EVERY circuit passage throughout. A combination of brake cleaner and small wires and brushes and a lot of attention to detail and Im sure it will function fine. But you need to store it properly in the future. Stop firing the parts cannon at it.
As for backfiring and surging. Has anyone ever checked the valve clearances? If your pumping out that much soot(unburned fuel), im sure you exhaust valve looks terrible and may not even be closing all the way.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The "jets" are only one part of the carb and have very tiny holes on them that can get clogged up. But there are also many passages through out the carb that are going to get clogged up the same and you can change those jets till the cows come home and it will never improve the overall function of a carb that varnished itself up. Now I understand your dealer had told you the carb was spotless, he also told you he installed the 108 jet. That carb NEEDS to be completely removed, thoroughly cleaned and I mean EVERY circuit passage throughout. A combination of brake cleaner and small wires and brushes and a lot of attention to detail and Im sure it will function fine. But you need to store it properly in the future. Stop firing the parts cannon at it.
As for backfiring and surging. Has anyone ever checked the valve clearances? If your pumping out that much soot(unburned fuel), im sure you exhaust valve looks terrible and may not even be closing all the way.
In my instance, my exhaust valve was right on the money, measured this past Friday. I was surprised, too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Parts Tree shows that bolt in the diagram but not on the part list.
And it appears different than the other shear bolt, at least by the diagram.
You are right it's not the same as the ones for each auger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I don't think the dealer checked that. Can I do that myself?

41 - 60 of 98 Posts