Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys
I got this Honda HSS928A with 32 hours of running,purchased it new in 2017.
I have performing well all along.
when I store it I put stabilizer in the tank and ran it until it stopped when in storage.Have been doing this since I purchased it.
When I took it out to use this weekend ,I noticed it it had a misfire and surged somewhat.not smooth like it use to be.
I thought I might have put bad gas into it,I drained it out and add fresh gas ,no change.
I decide to replace the plug,no change ,add some sea-foam thinking the main jet might the problem,still no improvement.
I replaced the original main jet when i purchased with a #90 I think,and it performed well with end of driveway wet snow,never once bogged down under load.
Can you tell me if the spark plug cap would cause this problem,or do you have any other suggestions,before I haul it of to my Honda Service centre.
Thank You

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So your telling me when it's white like that it's not good,and could be running lean.Would the seafoam I put into the tank clean the carb. ports and jets.
I haven't had any luck cleaning carbs. and using carb. kits,would you suggest a new carb. or replace the main jet. I have a new main jet,do you think this would help if I replaced it.Can't see it being gummed up with so little hours on it and have used stabilizer in it since new.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
So your telling me when it's white like that it's not good,and could be running lean.Would the seafoam I put into the tank clean the carb. ports and jets.
I haven't had any luck cleaning carbs. and using carb. kits,would you suggest a new carb. or replace the main jet. I have a new main jet,do you think this would help if I replaced it.Can't see it being gummed up with so little hours on it and have used stabilizer in it since new.
Does white mean white white or is it a light tan? check google to see what a good color is on a spark plug. should be a light tan I believe.

what elevation are you? what was the stock jet number?

Does it surge only at idle or at fast throttle also? Does it run normal with a little choke?
It sounds like you have done everything right but this machine is 5 years plus old. All it takes is a TINY speck of dirt to partially clog your idle jet ,or emulsion tube.

There is a chart here somewhere that shows the carb. You do not have to remove the carb to do an inframe cleaning.

However, if this ONLY happens at idle and it runs fine at fast throttle I would continue using premium fuel ( non ethanol if you can find it ) some stabilizer and Seafoam or a gas treatment like a gumout additive. NOT too much or your could damage seals and O rings.

32 hours is not too much so really not surprised this happened in 5 years.
Give it some time. It may clear up.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Google indicates brown or a like grey,I checked mine again it got some brown a grey,not snow white like I had first indicated.
Elevation: On the Atlantic coastline/sea level.
I think the original jet number was a #89,I went to #92 as folks on here suggested.
I had a # 90 kicking around and installed it,no difference,one thing I did notice when I took the fuel bowl of,it had quite a bit of rust in the bottom of it .
I.m thinking maybe some of it is up into the ports.and causing it to run lean.
I did like you said give it a little choke ,it appears to smooth out a little better with the choke on.
It surges worst at idle rather than at full throttle,but you can hear the misfire.
You mentioned idle jet,where is that on the carb. and is it hard to remove a check or clean.
Yorr right ,with it being 5 years old it could have pick up a particle of dirt and is restricting the fuel flow.
You said not seafoam can damage seals,Hopefully I didn't cause any problems by using it.
You say there is a chart .where in shows cleaning of the carb. mainframe without having to remove the carb,can I just google this and find it..

Thank very much guys for all the help ,much appreciated.

· Premium Member
6,344 Posts
I think the original jet number was a #89,I went to #92 as folks on here suggested.
I had a # 90 kicking around and installed it,no difference
Since it sounds like you're running lean, go back to the #92...

• Helpful
Reactions: orangputeh

· Registered
Honda HSS724 & Honda HS720
298 Posts
Per Tabora, back to the #92 jet. Since you know how to take the bowl off and replace a jet. Take it apart and give it a good spray with carb cleaner. Spray up where the jet goes and through the choke. That and the #92 should get you to smooth sailing. Then uses seafoam regularly in your fuel per the instruction on the can. Also use premium fuel as noted above. There is no ethanol in premium fuel in Atlantic Canada.

Since you are on the East Coast, you may want to do that today. Looks like we have 30 cm +/- of heavey wet stuff coming tomorrow. (12" for the imperialists)

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Google indicates brown or a like grey,I checked mine again it got some brown a grey,not snow white like I had first indicated.
Elevation: On the Atlantic coastline/sea level.
I had a # 90 kicking around and installed it,no difference,one thing I did notice when I took the fuel bowl of,it had quite a bit of rust in the bottom of it .
I.m thinking maybe some of it is up into the ports.and causing it to run lean.
I did like you said give it a little choke ,it appears to smooth out a little better with the choke on.
It surges worst at idle rather than at full throttle,but you can hear the misfire.
You mentioned idle jet,where is that on the carb. and is it hard to remove a check or clean.
Yorr right ,with it being 5 years old it could have pick up a particle of dirt and is restricting the fuel flow.
You said not seafoam can damage seals,Hopefully I didn't cause any problems by using it.
You say there is a chart .where in shows cleaning of the carb. mainframe without having to remove the carb,can I just google this and find it..

Thank very much guys for all the help ,much appreciated.
Rust at bottom of bowl is a pretty good clue my friend.....

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Per Tabora, back to the #92 jet. Since you know how to take the bowl off and replace a jet. Take it apart and give it a good spray with carb cleaner. Spray up where the jet goes and through the choke. That and the #92 should get you to smooth sailing. Then uses seafoam regularly in your fuel per the instruction on the can. Also use premium fuel as noted above. There is no ethanol in premium fuel in Atlantic Canada.

Since you are on the East Coast, you may want to do that today. Looks like we have 30 cm +/- of heavey wet stuff coming tomorrow. (12" for the imperialists)
agree. The reason I caution people on seafoam and other chemicals is the fact that people think MORE is better and I believe it can cause more harm than good ...in the long run with breaking down fuel lines, seals, O rings etc. if too much is used.

so agree with you on following instructions. I may be wrong but have studied up on this quite a bit. That is the general consensus.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Know I haven't, where would that be on a GX270 engine ,I replace the #92 main jet,with a 90 since I had one kicking around,I didn't pull out the tube above the jet,which I should have ,if it was gummed up, wouldn't restrict fuel flow
Thank for your response.t

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
agree. The reason I caution people on seafoam and other chemicals is the fact that people think MORE is better and I believe it can cause more harm than good ...in the long run with breaking down fuel lines, seals, O rings etc. if too much is used.

so agree with you on following instructions. I may be wrong but have studied up on this quite a bit. That is the general consensus.

Thanks caper63,I just saw the cleaning procedure that tabora sent me,great information,this site is awesome and the help from members is so great.

· Registered
258 Posts
And that is why I never run a carb dry, havent shut the fuel off in 3yrs and run seafoam, 1 ox per gallon and been doing that for many yrs on al my other motors, 91 octane in a 270 sitting on the floor over 10 yrs start and runs 2nd pull, believe or not.

· Registered
255 Posts
Fuel stabilizer doesn't do much (especially if the fuel sits around for months). If the fuel has ethanol in it, it will gum up the carb even with stabilizer. I would replace the fuel after three months max.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks caper63,I just saw the cleaning procedure that tabora sent me,great information,this site is awesome and the help from members is so great.
And that is why I never run a carb dry, havent shut the fuel off in 3yrs and run seafoam, 1 ox per gallon and been doing that for many yrs on al my other motors, 91 octane in a 270 sitting on the floor over 10 yrs start and runs 2nd pull, believe or not.
View attachment 207561
View attachment 207562
View attachment 207563
I didn't have much,took the carb.of,cleaned with carb. cleaner and blew it out.thought I get the pilot screw out to check it for gum.and it sheared off when trying to get the cap of the screw.I only as a a half turn travel and there was no way getting it of with the adjustment cap on it. So it looks like a new carb. because the Pilot Screw would need adjusting,and where that cap is pressed on there would be no way to adjust the turns required for a smooth idle. looked on amazon ,but can't find one similar to this one.part number on the carb. Type BE 17E HA29 Engine is a GX270, Snowblower Model is HSS928ACTD ,Serial number SADA -1017514.

Has anyone purchase this carb. online via amazon,I wouldn't want to order one and it wouldn't fit.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Highly recommend if you replace use a OEM Honda carb. Yes pricey but they work right.....right out of box.

Amazon/Ebay carbs for the gx270 are cheap chinese knockoffs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts