Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Bud
I did order the OEM one fro Honda ,like you say it's not cheap,but you get what you pay for I guess.I have purchased carbs. for my Honda lawnmower and had very good success.For some reason ,I didn't see one on amazon like the one on this GX270,which is a BE Type carb.
Again thanks very much for your help and advice,much appreciated.

· Premium Member
6,344 Posts
thought I get the pilot screw out to check it for gum.and it sheared off when trying to get the cap of the screw.I only as a a half turn travel and there was no way getting it of with the adjustment cap on it.
Yeah, you were supposed to heat up the cap and pop it off so you didn't need to replace it. It's a pretty cheap item to replace, though...

Reactions: orangputeh

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
30 seconds with a soldering iron to release the goo is cheaper! :)
Thanks for the suggestion,a little to late for me I sheared it off,there was no way just prying it of with two small screw drivers.
By the way I think I will take Orangeputeh advise an repair the broken one and have it as a spare.But when you replace the Pilot Jet screw ,do you screw the Pilot jet all the way in until it just it's seated,then install the cap.because you only have half turn travel for adjustment.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
That is a good price. last one I got at the dealer was about 17 with taxes.
Thanks Bud ,I think I will do that, since I was able to get the broken jet out.Keep it as a spare.Only thing in question,is do I screw the pilot jet in until it's seated ,back it of half a turn or what before installing the cap ,since it only moves half a turn with the cap on it.
I see you have the Track model,how do you get in back to the garage etc, if i shuts down at the end of your driveway.Mine won't move setting in the neutral position.The Track won't roll and with the friction on those track it's hard to move around.At my age it's not fun tying to lift this thing and drag it back home lol.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Thanks Bud ,I think I will do that, since I was able to get the broken jet out.Keep it as a spare.Only thing in question,is do I screw the pilot jet in until it's seated ,back it of half a turn or what before installing the cap ,since it only moves half a turn with the cap on it.
I see you have the Track model,how do you get in back to the garage etc, if i shuts down at the end of your driveway.Mine won't move setting in the neutral position.The Track won't roll and with the friction on those track it's hard to move around.At my age it's not fun tying to lift this thing and drag it back home lol.
My shop manuals tell me the turns.

But without manual, you count the turns IN until it stops. Example 2.5 turns. Then you install the new screw that way. Turn in all the way and then back off 2.5 turns ( example )

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
30 seconds with a soldering iron to release the goo is cheaper! :)
can;t do that when the owner tried prying off with needle nose pliers and broke off the cap.

they paid for it, half the work I do on a machine is fixing others' mistakes. i charge double for that
,mainly because it takes twice the time

· Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,696 Posts
can;t do that when the owner tried prying off with needle nose pliers and broke off the cap.

they paid for it, half the work I do on a machine is fixing others' mistakes. i charge double for that
The point being that heat beats break, but yeah, you need to start there . . . esp. considering that Honda designed the darn thing to break!

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)

Yes ,I hear you,pretty hard to get of with loctite on it,it does take more time to correct mistakes,it indicates in the service manual I have to apply loctite 638,but would the pilot screw move without the cap on,if not their is no need and it would be easier to remove in the future if need be.Still might replace the machine with an Airens,since it's not possible to move when it's dead in the water lol.
Note: For the Pilot screw adjustment ,My service manual says to screw it all they way in until seated,then back it out 1-1/2 turns for the HSS928A,but dosen't say what position to install cap ,since it moves 1/2 turn after installed.,so would you put the pointer on the cap up against the card housing at the top or at the bottom,for the limit that it can be adjusted once the cap is in place.Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks again for you help/expert advice and have a great day,

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Machine can be moved easy if you pull on both turn lever's, move mine out from under the deck that way before I start it, not easy like being on wheels but can be done with little effort.
Good Morning,
Thanks Johnny,I didn't see anywhere in my user manual where it states this.That will make life easier being about to much this thing lol.
have a great day.
Cheeers

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Hi Guys
I replaced the Carb.with a new Honda OEM one.Put the thing back together and now it's leaking between the carb. housing and the insulator.Everything went together with no issue,until I turn the,fuel shut valve on. and it stated leaking.
I didn't remove the insulator during disassembly ,because it was stuck and no need to take it of anyway.
I didn't over torque it ,which you probably think I did and the nuts were torqued evenly.
After taking apart again to check things out,I can't see why it's leaking,the insulator looks good ,I don't see a crack in it etc. which it shouldn't.The gasket is installed as indicated in my service manual.The only thing I see is that the insulator that came with it and was never removed looks different with respect to the vent grove that's in my service manual,Unless the manual as a miss print.I will attach some photos to give you a better picture on what I am taking about.
One other thing I did was remove the jet and install a new # 92 back into it.Do think that the float is been obstructed and this is a flowing problem not a between gasket /insulator leak.
Thanks

Attachments

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
where is it leaking? at the fuel line? at the sentiment cup? at the bowl?

the clue i read is that you replaced the jet. so double check the bowl O ring is on right and that the bowl is on correctly. the bowl has to be lined up correctly with the float. if not and the bowl is interferring with float it would overfill.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Thanks Bud,it's leaking between the new gasket and the insulator,I think your are correct I better check the position of the bowl,because on the second re-assembly it didn't indicate any leaks,started up fine ,idle and purred like at kitten at idle ,when I moved it outside it start to run rough, thats when I notice gas leaking again between the insulator and carb.body gasket,float may have not seated properly.
Thanks for the prompt response.Hopefully my service manual shows the exact position that the bowl should be,to prevent it inferring with the float.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, you were supposed to heat up the cap and pop it off so you didn't need to replace it. It's a pretty cheap item to replace, though...
Hi Bud
I replace the carb. with a new Honda OEM,not cheap lol.,and ordered a Pilot Jet Screw to install in the old one for a spare.
I did heat up that cap with a soldering gun and it came of fairly easy.
She's purring like kitten at Idle and takes full throttle with no hesitation at all.
Thanks again for your help,much appreciated

· Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,696 Posts
Broke the Pilot jet trying to get the cap of,ordered a new OEM carb. working and purring like a kitten at Idle .
thanks for your help ,much appreciated.
That's not the pilot jet! The pilot jet is the fixed orifice on top of the carb, held in by a wide screw that is right next to the idle speed adjustment.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts