Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting a pretty good bonus this year and although id rather not go new due to being cheap lol, I've been keeping an eye out for snow blowers for sale, every so often I see a husky and I have not seen much bad about them at all. Good options and they seem like good quality, May go for I think it's a 27" but may be 28" I can't remember, A little bigger than I need but I'd Rather have too much than not enough. So what are your thoughts on husky, Still watching for ariens too but I kind of like the husky. So let me know, bonus and taxes are on the way lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm a "majority" type of guy myself, and it sounds like Ariens, and Toro would be my go-to blowers. I'm not saying Husky is bad or anything, but I definitely don't hear about them as often. I don't even see them at stores as often as the others.

·
Registered
272 Posts
What model Husqvarna are you looking at?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an Ariens Compact 524 for 14 years. Worked great for years with basic maintenance- change oil seasonally or as needed during the heavy snow years. take gas out and grease zergs and auger gear. I had to replace the friction disc as a wear item after ten years and flipped the skids after 12 years.

I sold it last week and shifted to a Honda HSS928 tracked. I've wanted a larger machine, and finally just pulled the trigger.

Can't go wrong with an Ariens - Honda makes a great machine - we'll find out here in a day or so =).

If you're waiting for a sale - try and see if you can get a big box store to price match a local dealer having a sale. I got luck and had a local dealer having a sale in October, and the orange box store price matched and took 10% off. Then they had the open a credit card and take another 10% off. that was 14 years ago - can't hurt to try, not sure if they'll do the double promotion...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very good suggestions so far, As for model I'd like to find a 2014 or newer, Would love to find a ST227P but new and used at the same time is hard to come by lol and not sure I could justify the price of new at this time, little bit of a tighter budget. But I'll spend a bit, I'm thinking I could swing $700 max but depending on what I can get for some older equipment will help pay for the new. I'll be selling my 10hp wood chipper once I finish clearing the yard so that will help the budget some.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a "majority" type of guy myself, and it sounds like Ariens, and Toro would be my go-to blowers. I'm not saying Husky is bad or anything, but I definitely don't hear about them as often. I don't even see them at stores as often as the others.
Around here (south of Ottawa) Husqvarna is all over the place. Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowes, BMR, Home Hardware all carry them.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When you ask Husky, do you mean Husqvarna or Huskee (Tractor Supply)?
Husqvarna, I didn't even know the other existed
Around here (south of Ottawa) Husqvarna is all over the place. Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowes, BMR, Home Hardware all carry them. They look nice, but since they are all made by MTD, I would go with something in good shape and is easily fixed/serviced.
NOT made by MTD

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
What's a bonus? Personally I'm an Ariens guy, happy with their combo of quality for price. I have also had good experiences with their customer support relative to that I received from Husky when I had issues with my chainsaw.

I would recommend you get the Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO it represents a good combo of value, performance and robust build quality. For $1199 USD in most areas you will be hard pressed to beat this dealer only machine. If you are going to go Husky, I would try to stick with their more substantial 300 series machines. Best of luck on your search and please post some pics after you take delivery.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
They look nice, but since they are all made by MTD, I would go with something in good shape and is easily fixed/serviced.
Husqvarna makes their own blowers and uses the same engines as Ariens, the LCT line. (At least in the U.S.). Husq also made blowers for Craftsman for awhile , but the current line is MTD in the U.S. with Powermore engines.
If you look around at the 208cc 24" blowers available (the price range you suggested) you'll notice they are all about the same price. Basically all set up the same. In the market I'd just go look at a couple and see which model feels right to you ergonomically. My personal preference is I like the traditional Ariens/JD set up with the drive on the left handle and the auger on the right. MTD blowers (Troy,Cub, current Craftsman) are reversed. How far away is the closest warranty service spot for any particular blower? Parts are available online for pretty much everything, but if you need the warranty service something close would be nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm happy with their XP line of chainsaws but their snow blowers did not feel good to me. I've never run one but I can say that I don't like the controls and the chute seemed very sloppy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts