Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a snowblower forum,but I just thought I would ask anyways,I was at my local Home depot,And i stopped to look at the riding mowers chained up outside,I was looking at the Ariens 17.5 HP Briggs,42" deck.I noticed on the manufactured tag under the seat it said built by Husqavarna.I know Ariens builds their own snowblowers except the Chinese engines,but I didn't realize husqavarna built their riding mowers.So my question is...is that a good or bad thing that husky is building them? I know Ariens is considered one of the best snowblowers out there,but I don't really see a lot of good things being said about Husqavarna snowblowers.I'm hoping next spring I will be able to buy a new rider am I'm leaning towards a Ariens,but now I see Ariens isn't building them,should I steer clear of them,or is Husqavarna considered a good quality?The mower I'm looking at is their basic rider again 17.5 HP Briggs and Straton,six speed tranny with 42"deck,not even a cup holder.Price point is $999.00.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
In my opinion Ariens din't do their reputation any good letting AYP use their name to sell tractors. AYP makes Craftsman, Husqvarna & Ariens tractors. The week part on all of these tractors are the axles. They Use a Tuff Torq K46, which have a bad tendency to burn up. Especially if you have hilly yard. Even MTD is using this axle. And they make the John Deere, Cub Cadets, that the big box stores sell. I am partial to the Cub Cadets that use the Hydro Gear axles. They are much better axles. Its just more of the disposable society we live in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my opinion Ariens din't do their reputation any good letting AYP use their name to sell tractors. AYP makes Craftsman, Husqvarna & Ariens tractors. The week part on all of these tractors are the axles. They Use a Tuff Torq K46, which have a bad tendency to burn up. Especially if you have hilly yard. Even MTD is using this axle. And they make the John Deere, Cub Cadets, that the big box stores sell. I am partial to the Cub Cadets that use the Hydro Gear axles. They are much better axles. Its just more of the disposable society we live in.
The transaxle used in the Husqvarna, Dixon, Ariens and Craftman riders varies with the model. If you buy a Garden Tractor model, you'll find either a TuffTorq K-66 or Hydro Gear G-730, both are very robust transaxles and will hold up to the demands of ground engagement work.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I did not know Ariens didn't make everything with their name on it. Do they make their own walk behind mowers or are those AYP products as well?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Glad to hear.
Purely by chance my son came home today with an Ariens mower.
He has been buying, fixing up and selling mowers all summer. I've been coaching him all along on brands to avoid. Some he learned on his own the hard way. When I got home from work today and saw an Ariens in the back of the truck I was all....gulp. There was this thread on SBF this week...Crap, I'm sure I must have told him they were on the good list, but this is the first Airens he has brought home.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
He started out this summer with plans to mow lawns to make some cash. I told him he wasn't going to use my mower, so he bought his own. Then He found one he liked better so he listed his first one after cleaning it up and made a profit. He hasn't mowed many lawns, but he has bought and sold at least 25 mowers. Mostly Toros. Naturally Dad has spent more then his share of time helping him fix them as slave labor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts