Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently used & abused my Husqvarna 435 16" chainsaw. The chain was pretty dull, but I kept going when the machine was laboring. After I finished, it was hard starting and tough to idle, and the chain would spin even at idle, and even when the starter rope was just pulled. I cleaned out debris and finally got the carb adjusted so that it idles & revs OK, but the fix for the spinning chain surprised me. The clutch was OK (I fired the parts cannon & replaced the clutch, no change) and when I took off the clutch housing / sprocket and needle bearing, they were OK, but the chain would turn if I spun the clutch by hand, when the spark plug was out. It turns out that under the clutch housing / sprocket, the sprocket engages the plastic insert, which is the oil pump drive. It is Husqvarna # 544212402. The new one arrived and is now installed, and it fixed the problem. It spins freely over the engine crankshaft, as it should. The old one would bind against the crankshaft, and so the chain would spin at idle. I'm sure it would not cut wood this way, but it sure could hurt someone if the chain is moving when the saw is just at idle speed. Maybe the original piece warped or something when I overdid it (from debris in there, or maybe excess heat), cutting with a dull chain. Anyway, it's just something to keep in mind, if the chain moves, even when the rope is pulled, but the clutch is working OK. And now that the chainsaw is working normally, it let me increase the idle speed a little from where I had it when I was trying anything to stop the chain from spinning all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
You likely generated way too much heat forcing the saw to cut with a dull chain. The other issue that you may have created is damage to the crank seal that is very close to the oil pump drive you replaced.

Reactions: tomlct1

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deezlfan - thanks for the reply. I will keep this in mind, and if it does not run well, I will probably replace the seal on the oil pump side. And I have learned a lesson from my mistakes here - keep a spare chain on hand, this is only a 16" chain, so they are not so expensive, and don't abuse the equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts