Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked a couple questions in other threads, but at the suggestion of another user, I'm starting a new one with my specific question. The impeller in my Husqvarna ST227P (bought new last year) bent and now it rubs on a bolt and makes a terrible noise when engaged. I can see where it bent, but I just can't get to it. My thought is if I can remove the shaft and then the impeller I should be able to bend it back, or replace it. The thing is I can't figure out how to remove it. I found the parts diagram but I can't figure out how to remove the auger pulley. It has a nut on and it's called a "pulley screw on" so I figured I could unscrew it from the shaft but it won't budge. I didn't force it (yet) because I wasn't sure if I was missing something. The only YouTube video I can find only shows how to replace a belt. Very helpful, in general, but not with my specific issue. I also tried to remove the augers and remove the impeller that way by sliding it off the front after removing the shear pins, but there's some sort of pin on the shaft so I can't remove it.
It's very frustrating because I'm almost to where I need to be, but not quite. And I feel like I'm missing something very simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Many find that dripping or spraying PB Blaster will help to loosen up rust - assuming that you have taken off all of the necessary set screws, etc. that hold the pulley on the shaft. You may even try tapping the shaft/pulley with a hammer to vibrate it, and get the PB Blaster to penetrate better. Or, you can use a set of pickle forks as a wedge to help loosen the pulley - providing there is enough room. It may take a few days for the PB Blaster to do its thing, but it should be very helpful.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
A Torch will Make this Easier, and Ball Joint Fork as RT suggested, along with a large hammer will pop it off in no time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success!!! The PB Blaster did the trick. Sprayed it on, let it sit, then the auger pulley unscrewed with a little elbow grease. Got the impeller out, hammered out the bent piece, got it all back together and I'm all ready for the next big snow! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue. My impeller fins are bent and I'm getting stuck removing the pulley screw from the impeller shaft. How were you able to prevent the shaft rotation?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a Husqvarna ST 224 on Dec 3rd so this blower is brand new. Anyway, the plow truck did their usual road side clean up during this last storm and what i did not know was that a few larger size rocks were hidden in the pile at the end of my driveway and of course I hit them with the snowblower. I started noticing this rattling noise, and upon closer inspection one of the impeller blades bend back and pushed the piece so when it runs it's rubbing on the bolts. I read this thread and it sounds just like my issue, and I followed the advice on here, but I have tried alot of the PB Blaster and used my socket pushing down on the nut thats fused to the pulley wheel (part states its a screw on pulley wheel) but it won't budge... any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I'd think with it being a new blower that parts would be easier to remove, not harder... Very frustrated any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks and hope you have a wonderful Christmas :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need to Replace Impeller

I have a similar issue. My impeller fins are bent and I'm getting stuck removing the pulley screw from the impeller shaft. How were you able to prevent the shaft rotation?

So I have the same issue, bent fins on the Impeller, I have everything apart, the Impeller is on the shaft, I have removed the Shear Bolts, and I am trying to remove the Impeller, but it gets stopped, do I need to remove the pin in front of the impeller, and remove the shaft from the gearbox? or am I just not being forceful enough trying to remove it from then Pulley side of the shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts

So I have the same issue, bent fins on the Impeller, I have everything apart, the Impeller is on the shaft, I have removed the Shear Bolts, and I am trying to remove the Impeller, but it gets stopped, do I need to remove the pin in front of the impeller, and remove the shaft from the gearbox? or am I just not being forceful enough trying to remove it from then Pulley side of the shaft.

I am having the same problem getting the pulley off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm not sure why people are having such a hard time removing parts from a practically brand new machine. I can get them off my 10 year old machines with a bit of effort. Next - why are people removing the impeller just to straighten out the fins. Can you do it while it is still on the shaft - granted, it needs to be removed from the bucket first.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
They can't get the pulley off so can't remove from the bucket, Hoping my brother doesn't have any issues with his 224, Might have to pull his abart just to never seize the crap out of it before it's a issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amazing that there is a forum out there that features the exact obscure problem that i have in detail. removing the impeller! And since the posts were helpful in leading to my solution. I decided to give back and post my solution as to how to get the shaft to sit still, while your trying to get the pulley unscrewed!
After you have separated the front half of the blower from the back half (the motor part of it)and exposed the flywheel... lay the flywheel part flat and put the PB Blaster to it and let it soak in overnight. you have also already removed the shoot from the housing. now you can insert a large pipe wrench down thru the shoot and get the teeth around the shaft right about where that little pin is thru the shaft. the shaft will want to rotate counterclockwise so set the wrench so the teeth will grab when the shaft tries to spin. now heat up the nut on the flywheel with a torch for extra help. get a good sturdy crescent on the flywheel nut and turn it counterclockwise. check that the pipe wrench is locking on the shaft and the shoot will hold that pipe wrench in place for you so you can really pull on the crescent. a few tugs and mine broke free with out busting my knuckles on anything! Amazing. new impeller on order and ill have it back together soon. I tried to hammer my bent impeller flat, and ended up hurting myself so i just ordered a new part.
I took pictures to try to help show how I set the pipe wrench but i cant figure out how to upload pictures here. feel free to email me and ill sent pics to you. [email protected]

Many Thanks to all who have posted!

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
A....

I took pictures to try to help show how I set the pipe wrench but i cant figure out how to upload pictures here. feel free to email me and ill sent pics to you

To add pics to your post, click the "advanced" tab under the "quick reply" window. You can do this after you've typed your reply, and your added text will migrate with you to the "advanced" page. On that page, there's section down the page with a "manage attachments" button. That takes you to the page for moving your pictures into the post. Instructions there will let you grab your picture files from your computer, and upload them to your post. Preview your post to confirm it's what you want to share. Then "post replay" will put it up for others here.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I find it interesting that in the last 13 months 6 people in this thread have bent the impellers on their Husqvarna's. :eek:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I find it interesting that in the last 13 months 6 people in this thread have bent the impellers on their Husqvarna's. :eek:
make that 8,i have 2 husky's in for repair that have bent up impellers and augers , both have worn out the plastic skids in very low single digit hours that allowed the housing to drag pull off the sheaves, wind them up around both auger and impeller that seem to lock in place to what people are talking about here. what a mess

asking the local ope selling dealer, OH we see it all the time,

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
make that 8,i have 2 husky's in for repair that have bent up impellers and augers , both have worn out the plastic skids in very low single digit hours that allowed the housing to drag pull off the sheaves, wind them up around both auger and impeller that seem to lock in place to what people are talking about here. what a mess

asking the local ope selling dealer, OH we see it all the time,
Worn out plastic skids on a husky? After 3 seasons my OEM skids still look brand new! Of course it could be the fact that they never got used. Just for fun I made my own skids, and they are still in excellent condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
yes worn out plastic skids , made my own that look more like 1/4 inch thick snow skis that should need the problem,
dealer wise this one nicknamed rip off don, sells then finds anything he can to not repair under warranty.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It happens all the time up here. Sometimes a piece of gravel gets wedged in there, and sometimes a rock just pops up out of the ground when it freezes, and you don't see it because it's buried under the snow.

Usually it can be bent back into shape with a hammer and/or a Vise-Grip. But the repeated quick-fixes do tend to cause balance problems over times; so every third season, on average, I replace it and keep the old one as a spare that can be used in a pinch. That's actually what I'm doing now, along with replacing the belts, the chute base, the spark plug, and doing other routine maintenance.

I'm taking a break because the new impeller and belts haven't arrived. They should be in today, says USPS tracking. We shall see.

Getting the pulley off is no big deal. Spray the penetrating oil of your choice on the threads, go have a cup of coffee, and then jam something down the chute to block the impeller from moving while you unscrew the pulley.

The other problem people run into is that the shaft forms a little ridge that prevents the impeller from coming off. I just grind the ridge off with a stone in an electric drill or a Dremel. I suppose a file or emery cloth would work, too.

The only serious problem I ever had with my ST-224 was when I stripped the spark plug hole replacing the plug. I'd left it in there too long and it seized. It was an easy fix with a Helicoil once I managed to find one out here in the Middle of Nowhere. But it did involve some cussing.

Richard

1 - 20 of 45 Posts