Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project worked great in the last storm. Fun, too. No issues pushing snow with 8 hp Tec in 3rd gear. Squeegee rubber from tractor belting hugs the pavement nicely and is "reversible." Plow has full swing left and right. Plow comes off in a jiffy and stores on end on motor and bars for small footprint in the garage. MH

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Very nice work.

Toro offered an accessory plow for my 521.They call it a grader blade,not a snowplow.I've never seen one,but I'd love to have it just to scrape my driveway with after a small 2-3" storm.

I bet it would work well,the little Toro has amazing traction for such a small,light machine.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Motorhead, you are a hero! I've got a similar setup on one of my old Gravelys that worked good, but I haven't used it in many years. Now I know what to do with the old lawntractor blade I've been saving! Great job...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been keeping a couple of old leaky air compressor tanks thinking possible material for a blade.

I'm wondering if the usual friction wheel drive of a snowblower can take this sort of use.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Nice Work MH, Is that all home made? Almost looks like a factory Toro setup. I've never used one, but my old Toro parts manuals list a part number 59099 kit that looks very similar to that setup. They show that 'Grader Blade' fitting all models from a 3521 up to a 1132, with the only difference being the mounting brackets/plate. Looks like it handles well. GLuck, J

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tractor unit was an MTD given to me by my brother in law. The bucket on that machine was toast but the engine and all else good. I looked around for a new bucket but most were almost as bad as mine. I'm a tractor guy and have seen a lot of old walk-behind tractors with plows on them so when I saw a little 32 inch blade on Craig's, I went for it. All I had to do was fab a 1/4 inch plate to fit the front end and then drill out the center to accept the blade hardware. I added the belting for the squeegee effect on the cutting blade. Voila! The 8 hp friction drive offers power to spare for pushing. I'm looking for another blade for an old Ariens ST model now. MH

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
GEvening MH, I have a craftsman blade here, from a tractor, that I may sacrifice, It has a broken pivot lock cable abd missing mounting brackets. I thik it has a good cutting edge on it tho, not rubber. Jay

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I can't say for sure but that setup looks exactly like a Troy Bilt blade for a Horse tiller. I owned a few of them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I once thought of trying to make a powered sweeper using the back end of my old 5 hp snowblower. I would have liked to cut away most of the bucket and mount some kind of round broom drum in the place of the augers. I would have needed to invert the front gear box to get it to push the dirt forward. Thing is, it would have left a trail of dirt in the middle unless I had a way of driving the drum from the end instead of in the middle. That would have entailed a messy configuration of gears and/or chains. The idea did reoccur to me when I saw pics of some old snowblowers with a single auger driven from one end.

Has anyone ever tried this?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ariens once had a "Yard n'Gard" system that employed a snowblower and several other attachments. I believe a brush may have been an available accessory. It would have employed its own gearbox, I think. MH

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
MH64, here's a picture of a Sno_Brum attached to a later model chassis, for sale in Boston. But I believe I have at one time seen them available in an Older Ariens Parts List as an attachment. Jay

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts