Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I am just looking for some last minute advice before I make my first snow blower purchase tomorrow.

I live in south east Pennsylvania. Our winters can be either relatively mild, or we can get slammed a couple of times a year. I have a 4 car driveway, Roughly about 20 x 40’, and about 50 feet in sidewalks.

about 10 minutes away, I have a highly respected, top-notch cub cadet dealer. Purchased many of things through them before, so when I first started looking, my eyes were on the cub cadet 2 x 26. However, it seems like most folks on this forum seem to avoid cub cadet at all costs.

I have an Ariens dealer about 25 to 30 minutes away from me. He currently has the Ariens classic plus in stock. The plus seems like a very good value for the money. Larger tires, iron gearbox, larger engine, just no auto turn.

both models are priced relatively the same.

Should I stick with the cub cadet dealer that is 10 minutes away? Or go with the Ariens classic plus? Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have 2 Airens machines, although I have not used the bigger one yet my Compact 24 was one of the best machines I have ever had the pleasure to plow with last year. Hope my Son who now has it now fells the same way when he uses the Ariens for the 1st time.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
How far are you from the nearest Toro Power Equipment dealer??

The MTD made cub cadet snow blowers have had a terrible track record in many cases.

Your snow removal needs are not that large in square area and all you may need is the smallest Toro walk behind 2 stage snow blower which is the POWERMAX 826 retails for $1,299.00 ; The next larger POWERMAX 928 OAE is retailing for $1,399.00.
having more horsepower and torque are just like money in the bank that can accrue interest as the added power in a machine like a 2 stage snow blower provides greater torque when disposing of the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER or snow pack that has settled and frozen overnight.

What ever you decide on purchase some Fluid Film In an aerosol can to coat the chute and spout with as well as the impeller housing which will allow you to double you casting distance.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Unless you can get a great deal on the cub then get the Ariens
Alot of times you can find the cubs and other mtd parent company machines for five hundred bucks on sale...decent deals then..my craftsman version was a little over 400 bucks...I had been eyeing a Toro beforehand..but the craftsman ad popped up on my phone...so I bought the craftsman..I need a machine about three to five times a year or so..so actual use time as far as as hours isn't much at all in a ten year period...age will be a concern before wear in my case.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
Regardless of what you get, .maintain it well, store it properly, treat your gas, and he safe.

Any machine will give you years of service when maintained.
Indeed....many threads of parts rusted together and they are unable to get the machine apart.
I took my machine apart and put it back together using anti seize..now I can get those pulleys off..wheels odd...I treated almost every bolt.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I actually picked up a newer Cub Cadet this year dirt cheap. Joystick control chute, zero turn, etc. . It's in my personal fleet, and I did put the impeller fin extensions on it due to the factory gap. I am looking forward to using it this winter, along with the rest of my fleet. :)

Tire Wheel Mower Land lot Grass

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
However, it seems like most folks on this forum seem to avoid cub cadet at all costs.
To paraphrase S.R. Hadden in Contact, once upon a time Cub Cadet was a h3ll of a well engineered brand. Then MTD bought them and they were dumbed down to be the Cadillac of the MTD brands. They are not horrible, but they are not Ariens, Toro, Honda or Yamaha either. Troy-Bilt is now the Oldsmobile of that group, Craftsman is the Buick, and Yard Machines/MTD are the Chevys.

·
Registered
Simlicity 860EI, Ariens 22xxx, Powerlite
398 Posts
I actually picked up a newer Cub Cadet this year dirt cheap. Joystick control chute, zero turn, etc. . It's in my personal fleet, and I did put the impeller fin extensions on it due to the factory gap. I am looking forward to using it this winter, along with the rest of my fleet. :)

View attachment 182643
It better snow a heck of a lot or you'll never get to all of them,:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good afternoon,

I am just looking for some last minute advice before I make my first snow blower purchase tomorrow.

I live in south east Pennsylvania. Our winters can be either relatively mild, or we can get slammed a couple of times a year. I have a 4 car driveway, Roughly about 20 x 40’, and about 50 feet in sidewalks.

about 10 minutes away, I have a highly respected, top-notch cub cadet dealer. Purchased many of things through them before, so when I first started looking, my eyes were on the cub cadet 2 x 26. However, it seems like most folks on this forum seem to avoid cub cadet at all costs.

I have an Ariens dealer about 25 to 30 minutes away from me. He currently has the Ariens classic plus in stock. The plus seems like a very good value for the money. Larger tires, iron gearbox, larger engine, just no auto turn.

both models are priced relatively the same.

Should I stick with the cub cadet dealer that is 10 minutes away? Or go with the Ariens classic plus? Thanks.

i am the happy owner of a Ariens classic 24+, bought it last year just before Christmas. i didn't need all the bells and whistles, i believe in keep it simple.The 24+ with the larger tires, cast iron gear box and larger engine was just perfect for me, and i like the fact that there is not much plastic on it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have family in that area and one factor that has not come up yet is the type of snowfalls common to that area. My BIL just gave me an MTD built Craftsman that he hated. Main complaint was that when they get big snowfalls there, it is wet heavy snow and the Craftsman just couldn't get that out the chute without constant clearing of wet snow. I would also recommend the Ariens for just this reason.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Then MTD bought them and they were dumbed down to be the Cadillac of the MTD brands. They are not horrible, but they are not Ariens, Toro, Honda or Yamaha either. Troy-Bilt is now the Oldsmobile of that group, Craftsman is the Buick, and Yard Machines/MTD are the Chevys.
That was MTD's marketing philosophy anyway, but in fact they are all Chevys in different color paint. When you use MTD's parts listing you will see many of the components are identical between brands with add on codes for color choice.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
That was MTD's marketing philosophy anyway, but in fact they are all Chevys in different color paint.
Yeah, that was my point... GM already proved the folly of having too many "brands" offering basically variations on a theme.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts