Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a disappointing season so far. Not much snow in the Boston area. Will it ever snow?

·
Registered
943 Posts

Considering how rare a blow-able snow event is for most of us its amazing how much thought and enthusiasm people put into snowblowers and snowblowing. Myself included.

Mowers are used much more often and in comparison its like getting a 6" snow event every week for 20 weeks in a row.

But there isnt nearly as much excitement around mowers and mowing.

But there should be!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
It has been a disappointing season so far. Not much snow in the Boston area. Will it ever snow?

It sure will, the storm of the century will come right after you sell the last of your snow blowers. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
It sure will, the storm of the century will come right after you sell the last of your snow blowers. :wink2:
Indeed... please go ahead and sell those machines, quickly. We need some snow! :devil:

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Mowers are used much more often and in comparison its like getting a 6" snow event every week for 20 weeks in a row.

But there should be!
I think at least to a degree, it relates to the importance of each.

If we get a foot of snow, I can't get to work or the doctor or the grocery store until the driveway is cleared. Having an impassible driveway puts a large part of my life on hold. By comparison, having grass that's a little too long affects pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here at the Mason Dixon line (Pa./Md.). Nothing but 50* weather...Only white seen is a Rocky White around the yard!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
My biggest fear when I bought my new blower this year was that we'd have a snow drought. Happily we've had 3 decent snowfalls so far this season (11", 6" and 6")!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Not because I want to but I always have one good operating 2 stage and one good operating SS. Snowblowing for me is right up there with cleaning a pig pen but it sure beats shoveling snow, which I really despise. :wink2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mowing the lawn isn't associated with the paralyzing-effect that a big blizzard has on all modes of transportation, communication services, electrical service, etc. I suppose if one is retired then it's entirely possible to simply sit inside one's house for a day or two until society's panic level has subsided. I want to know what that's like :angel:

Considering how rare a blow-able snow event is for most of us its amazing how much thought and enthusiasm people put into snowblowers and snowblowing. Myself included.

But there should be!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
And you rarely have a big exciting "grass event". Like holy crap, it grew 10" overnight! :) In that case, you might have your normal mower, and then a backup, big-honkin' mower, for emergencies. Plus a weed-whacker. Plus a scythe. And a parts-scythe that you keep thinking about rebuilding.

The grass is much more predictable. I *have* been trying to find a suitable used tractor upgrade, to improve my current setup. So there's been a bunch of mower-related reading too. And yeah, I definitely spend way more time per year mowing than I do clearing snow. Plus the tractor does other stuff for me too. I just need a good Craigslist ad to show up, while the yard is snow-free, and I can get my trailer out.

We haven't had a ton so far, but we did have about 18" total, I think, in early December. And the little stuff early this week. So I've gotten to use the machines some, already, with a bunch of time left in the season. Very little 2-stage use so far, primarily just for clearing the packed stuff from the plows.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
all I have used thus far is my single stages.

so far we are having a drought year. hurts sales and inventory is growing. ( plus getting lazy in garage )

but we still have 3 good months to go. in recent years March has been a bear.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You must be retired and bored with nothing to do wanting it to snow.Only kidding with you. I'm 64 still driving 18 wheelers and i will take no snow any day And no i will not move down south.

I quit my job last June and I have to fight two old retired farts for my driveway let alone the neighbors.

We love snow. Dark and gloom of winter in AK and its fun, good workout etc.

Sorry you are still driving, been there, done that, drove on the AK Pipeline project snow, wind, hail and -40F, sure no fun.

Count your blessing you are not driving on clay shale built roads that were 2 feet narrower than specification with 3 x 48 inch 60 foot pipe behind the headache rack (and prayed they stayed behind said rack). !

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts