Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know about you guys but it seems like when I was a kid in the 60's we used to get snow storms that would reach the power lines some years. Schools would be shut down a number of times each season. We seemed to get quite a few heavy snow storms every winter.

Now, if I see two 15 inchers a winter that's about it. I've even seen a few winters lately where I actually never needed to pick up a shovel once during the whole winter (prior to owning my new blower).

Any of you old codgers seeing this or am I dreaming?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
...carefull what you say barney !! things could go "south" pretty fast !! :smiley-char060:

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Tis a fact here in the northeast we used to get snow. 1960s Nothing to see ten ft drifts. Started snowmobiling in Dec and ended in Apr. Now we get a couple 12 inch storms per year a big one every couple years. Most winters were bare ground most of the time. Get a lot of snow to rain events. No one has snowmobiles anymore much. You can run a quad prob 90% of the winter with no problems. Climate change. Another 20 years winter is going to be a non event. So far this winter we have gotten 100 cm of snow but none of it stayed more than a few days. Its bare ground at this time, rain forecast for tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Isnt that the truth.... remembering White Juan...??
white juan will be etched in my memory forever......epic snow event for us. the winter of 2014-15 was no slouch .......will not forget all the dead migratory birds, they came back on schedule, only to starve because there was still 5 feet of snowpack on the ground.

we talk about eod stuff, and how hard it is to deal with.......heres what i had one day in march 2015.......it ended the life of my mtd.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
white juan will be etched in my memory forever......epic snow event for us. the winter of 2014-15 was no slouch .......will not forget all the dead migratory birds, they came back on schedule, only to starve because there was still 5 feet of snowpack on the ground.

we talk about eod stuff, and how hard it is to deal with.......heres what i had one day in march 2015.......it ended the life of my mtd.

Remember it well. I had a driveway that was packed so tight 6 ft deep could walk on top of it without leaving a track. Its the only time ive been defeated by snow. Had to get a front end loader to clear it. Luckily I only had one that was that extreme. That was before I had Honda blowers. Not sure if even a Honda would have been practical on that. Loader guy charged the lady $150. There was nowhere to put it. He had to bucket it all roadside.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thanks you to those who have their location listed, it makes your comments easier to relate to.

I suspect there is a shift as well as some perception issues. Global warming probably results in to some reduction though it also seems to drive some extreme events. I think we need more data to show long term trends. With respect to warming I'm more comfortable saying we're in deep crap. Snowfall and accumulation are two different animals.

The notion of a brown Christmas, January Thaw and getting hammered (with snow) on Presidents Day week are all well worn axioms.

I've seen 33 working storms in a recent season and crazy high piles in the last decade. Looking at the statistics overall average hasn't moved much.

Domestic and municipal equipment has come along way in my lifetime ans what was once paralytic is now a mere inconvenience. From time to time we are challenged.

We need to treat things like school cancellations separately in this age of the litigator.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't know about you guys but it seems like when I was a kid in the 60's we used to get snow storms that would reach the power lines some years. Schools would be shut down a number of times each season. We seemed to get quite a few heavy snow storms every winter.

Now, if I see two 15 inchers a winter that's about it. I've even seen a few winters lately where I actually never needed to pick up a shovel once during the whole winter (prior to owning my new blower).

Any of you old codgers seeing this or am I dreaming?
Depends where you are at.

Growing up in Detroit (Delray), I would agree with you, but since moving to northern (or Northwest Michigan...under the bridge...bonafide troll :laugh:, but not a flat-lander), We've been getting more than our fair share of snow for at least 39 years now.

From December 8, 2017 to January 18, 2018 we got 145":

Jan 18 to Jan 28, 2018...deadnr' a doornail.

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
842 Posts
I could use a good snowstorm. I got $2000 sitting in my garage collecting dust.
your not alone, with 2k not being used right, 2 six inch falls are nothing for here, that's only a flurry. come paired to a few years back , anyone in NJ remember feb 1996, that f 150 with 2 gas tanks took my 18 hours to drive 40 miles home, morristown to near sussex nj then a full day of blowing to clean up TG for the old power shift with that one .just proved a good name brand blower can work it's six off

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Good thread 👍🏽. It does seem like the winters are getting milder. I remember that '96 storm well, it was a monster (for this area) my nearly new 8 hp MTD 640F got the job done. Since I bought my last machine there has not been much snow here either. These machines do seem to thrive in the deep snows. Winter's not over yet but it's going up to nearly 50° here today, that makes it hard to remain an optimist for snow.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I was talking about the lack of snow recently. Seems more in the last few years we get closer and closer to Christmas hoping for snow instead of having it already blanketing the ground. I grew up in Minneapolis MN and I remember shoveling sidewalks for Christmas money. I wouldn't have any with the way it's going. We still get an occasional dump of snow but like this year I've only had the machine out twice. Seat of the pants measurement, it just doesn't seem to snow as often or as deep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts