Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friction disk is 2 years old; it was used alot this winter.But the gremlins have obviously infiltrated my machine, and I have no understanding how a factory disk can wear like this? The previous one wore at an angle, but how would this wear in a "stepped" fashion? When I ziptie the traction handle, the plate seems to make full contact with the disk. There was no slippage at all this winter. Can someone explain this? I can't.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Wood

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
your plate does not look smooth run your fingers across it and see how it feels
did the old disk get worn to metal?
i have same machine 921037 with the bigger engine 414cc it is wearing perfect about 30% left

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
That almost seems to have been manufactured with that deformity ... There is usually a seam running down the center from the way there made ... I wonder if that disc should have been rejected prior to leaving the factory?

I have no before pictures of how it was when it was new. I have seen on some discs where each half was not symmetrical, but not to that degree.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Make sure when you change gears you come to a fill stop, then shift.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have never seen a friction disc wear the rubber with a ridge like that before. I have seen them wear at an angle or begin chunking, but never wear an edge into the rubber like that.
I would think disc is defective or you have a damaged drive plate. Is it possible that some other part is contacting the disc and wearing the rubber like that?
The drive plate seems to have excessive rubber build up on it as well.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My friction disk is 2 years old; it was used alot this winter.But the gremlins have obviously infiltrated my machine, and I have no understanding how a factory disk can wear like this? The previous one wore at an angle, but how would this wear in a "stepped" fashion? When I ziptie the traction handle, the plate seems to make full contact with the disk. There was no slippage at all this winter. Can someone explain this? I can't. View attachment 194256
I looked at my old pics of the rubber tired friction wheel on my Platinum. The profile when new is rounded, as shown in following pic:

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Machine tool

However the following pics seem to show a factory flaw which is similar but not nearly as bad as yours.

Automotive tire Machine tool Gas Wood Automotive wheel system
Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering

I never noticed the apparent damage to these friction wheels until I started looking at them now. The wheels did even out the wear. I would think that you can continue using it until worn out because you are not experiencing traction problems and the part is not likely warranted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at my old pics of the rubber tired friction wheel on my Platinum. The profile when new is rounded, as shown in following pic:

View attachment 194259

However the following pics seem to show a factory flaw which is similar but not nearly as bad as yours.

View attachment 194260 View attachment 194261

I never noticed the apparent damage to these friction wheels until I started looking at them now. The wheels did even out the wear. I would think that you can continue using it until worn out because you are not experiencing traction problems and the part is not likely warranted.
:unsure:
I just called my dealer, and I am going to try what someone on this site had suggested last year...Town, I believe. I ordered a new Hex shaft with spline (# 04149500 ). In his explanation he, or someone he knew, replaced the shaft, due to the fact that the shaft end that goes into the bearing by the Autoturn was worn/defective, and had a smaller circumference...just enough to slant the friction disk while in use. The price isn't horrible, about $ 55 and change, and if it save my disks, it'll pay for itself in the long run.Right now, I buy disks 2 at a time.:unsure::rolleyes::unsure:(y)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have same machine 921037 with the bigger engine 414cc it is wearing perfect about 30% left
Since new, my platter has always had a bit of a "grain" to it, and after checking several other Ariens, it is identical.I always questioned that as well, as my Murry ( Craftsmen) had a totally glass smooth plate on it. I always stop before I shift, so thats not it. When I replace my hex shaft, I am going to put a non OEM friction disk on it. I watch alot of Donyboy 73 videos, and he suggests the Oregon disks, as he says they are a better disk, and they last alot longer. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That almost seems to have been manufactured with that deformity ... There is usually a seam running down the center from the way there made ... I wonder if that disc should have been rejected prior to leaving the factory?

I have no before pictures of how it was when it was new. I have seen on some discs where each half was not symmetrical, but not to that degree.
Looking at it, I think it must have been a factory reject that made it through, as I cannot see, for the life of me, how it could wear perfectly in half like that. Poor rubber on one side? My other disks always wore at an angle, but how could it possibly wear like that? Here is a pic of the new disk,installed in 2019 (3 years....I though it was 2) and a level to prove the disk sits plumb.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Alloy wheel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I caught it in time,thankfully. But with this machine eating disks like it does, I now check mid-way through the winter, just to be sure. The platter has a rougher grain to it, but metal has never touched it. The rest of the machine is awesome.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
:unsure:
I just called my dealer, and I am going to try what someone on this site had suggested last year...Town, I believe. I ordered a new Hex shaft with spline (# 04149500 ). In his explanation he, or someone he knew, replaced the shaft, due to the fact that the shaft end that goes into the bearing by the Autoturn was worn/defective, and had a smaller circumference...just enough to slant the friction disk while in use. The price isn't horrible, about $ 55 and change, and if it save my disks, it'll pay for itself in the long run.Right now, I buy disks 2 at a time.:unsure::rolleyes::unsure:(y)
Yes i posted that info. The disc has performed perfectly since. The bearings are not a tight fit on the shaft, new or old so they seem to wear out the shaft. So i side loaded the bearings with a washer and no problem since. I was not thinking that to be your problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As others have said, it be the spot on the shaft directly under the friction wheel that is worn, or a bearing that the drive platter is on . Regardless, something is worn and flexing that's causing your issue.

Keep us posted please. Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The disc needs to be square to the platter when the drive is engaged. It doesn't matter if it's plumb.... Although I guess you could check it that way as long as the platter is level when you do it.

I would use a square my self. Make sure it's not rocking when you engage it due to slop etc.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Doesn't seem possible but it appears very likely that the wear on the wheel is caused by this ridge on the platter. Is it possible the wheel can travel that far to the right? -------------->

Automotive tire Wood Line Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doesn't seem possible but it appears very likely that the wear on the wheel is caused by this ridge on the platter. Is it possible the wheel can travel that far to the right? -------------->

View attachment 194293
Good Point, but I did check that, and found it impossible for the friction disk to travel to the edge. As well, you would see a black tracking mark by the edge, and that is not visible in pics, or by sight. I really don't know what to think, and would appreciate any information anyone could offer.:oops:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes i posted that info. The disc has performed perfectly since. The bearings are not a tight fit on the shaft, new or old so they seem to wear out the shaft. So i side loaded the bearings with a washer and no problem since. I was not thinking that to be your problem.

Good luck.
Thanks Town, I think I am going to need it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The disc needs to be square to the platter when the drive is engaged. It doesn't matter if it's plumb.... Although I guess you could check it that way as long as the platter is level when you do it.

I would use a square my self. Make sure it's not rocking when you engage it due to slop etc.
Good point, will try a square tomorrow. See what happens.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Good luck.
Hey Town....being that you seem to have some knowledge of my issue, I would appreciate any help you could offer. I am mechanically inclined, but this one has me baffled. I understand the disc wearing at an angle, but not "stepped" like this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts