Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hey Town....being that you seem to have some knowledge of my issue, I would appreciate any help you could offer. I am mechanically inclined, but this one has me baffled. I understand the disc wearing at an angle, but not "stepped" like this.
I cannot see how the rubber could wear like that. My first response shows the tires with similar but less advanced step in my tire. So i think it a factory defect. The tire will wear down to be level with the low half. Since you have good traction now just keep using it as is. When you get a new wheel then check it carefully to ensure there are no imperfections.

Reactions: Cutter70

·
Registered
140 Posts
This guy has a ton of great Ariens snowblower repair videos. I know this isn't your problem but at about minute 2:15, he has a simple fix for older worn blowers. The drive platter may be crooked due to wear. His fix sure is cheap and gets the drive platter back to the proper angle.

Hope this helps until you can actually find what is worn.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This guy has a ton of great Ariens snowblower repair videos. I know this isn't your problem but at about minute 2:15, he has a simple fix for older worn blowers. The drive platter may be crooked due to wear. His fix sure is cheap and gets the drive platter back to the proper angle.

Hope this helps until you can actually find what is worn.
:unsure:

·
Registered
140 Posts
So today, while at the John Deere/Ariens dealer & looking up parts for my blower, I we came upon the traction drive wheel pully/ drive platter. It looked like there was a bearing in there but when we zoomed in and looked it up, it is only available as one unit, can't get the bearing separately. $98 for the whole unit. Like I said, this is for my blower, yours may be different but probably not. Just thought I would give you the heads up. Sorry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have never seen a friction disc wear the rubber with a ridge like that before. I have seen them wear at an angle or begin chunking, but never wear an edge into the rubber like that.
I would think disc is defective or you have a damaged drive plate. Is it possible that some other part is contacting the disc and wearing the rubber like that?
The drive plate seems to have excessive rubber build up on it as well.
When I bought my Platnium 24 SHO in 2015 the rubber ring fell completely off the disc the first time I went to use it….I just scratched my head…It was replaced under warranty the next day and fine ever since….

·
Registered
2022 Ariens Kraken
26 Posts
I had this happen to my Platinum 30 when I adjusted the shifter linkage too far. It pushed the drive disc too close to the center of the drive plate where the rotation is essentially zero and it wore half of the disc as yours is shown.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had this happen to my Platinum 30 when I adjusted the shifter linkage too far. It pushed the drive disc too close to the center of the drive plate where the rotation is essentially zero and it wore half of the disc as yours is shown.
There was a somewhat similar problem in a thread while back, the apparent cause also being that the shift mechanism was out of alignment and the rubber was coming down on or near the center of the rotating platter: Chunking friction wheel

The patterns of the damage are different, but both patterns are asymmetric.

Reactions: Cutter70
21 - 28 of 28 Posts